Heupel to Oklahoma?

Lincoln Riley is not leaving a team that will be in the SEC for a PAC12 job. If Riley, who is still below 40, shows ability to compete and recruit in the SEC, he becomes a strong contender to replace Saban.

Bama is going to look to replace Saban with someone young, mercurial, and great at recruiting. Riley might be that guy.

Past that, my grandson passes this on from Facebook or one of those things:
OJ Simpson is available for the USC job but I'm not sure any players could survive the cuts.

Reactions: zydane47
It ain’t happening anyway, but if it did, and Heupel left after 1 season…….I wouldn’t swear Freeze would come now……and White probably wouldn’t even ask.

I was a Freeze fan, he is who I wanted. However, he got passed over, he is still doing well…….he might move on to bigger and better things.
Yeah. I think our window closed. Freeze will probably step into a playoff contender that is currently underperforming, like USC or LSU.

Reactions: JoAllan
JH with just 2 games under his belt at Tennessee and already talk of him leaving for Oklahoma…….

That's complete BS

What is BS about it? Butch could have cake walked in after 2016 season to any available job.

Kiffin had Tennessee at its best of the worst since 2008 and he was able to snag USC even as their 3rd to 5th target.

If Huepel wins enough to go to bowl games and OU comes open, they would take him.

Tennessee is a stepping stone program right now because we are cheap and won’t actually pay a blank check to make a splash hire.

Add in OU and Texas coming to league, Tennessee only drops to further irrelevancy. Tennessee is easily outside the top 10 teams/programs in the SEC. right now we are about only better than Vandy, MIssissippi State, and maybe South Carolina. We are on very downward trajectory. Atleast Baseball and Basketball programs are great.

JH with just 2 games under his belt at Tennessee and already talk of him leaving for Oklahoma…….

While it sounds like the early threads of dooley to UGA or Pruitt to Bama, Huepel actually has decent experience. I wouldn’t be surprised if they came calling. Especially if Huepel shows he can go bowling in the SEC. He would walk into a much better program

After his last season at UCF and so far what he has produced on The Hill makes him hot in the coaching profession? Oh yeah, about like plutonium, it's hot alright, you touch it and you're dead.

Well Tennessee is a stepping stone program now a days if you are a successful coach
How would you know? Last "successful" coach we had here was the fat man and we were his last coaching gig. Everyone since has been total dog excrement.

What is BS about it? Butch could have cake walked in after 2016 season to any available job.

Kiffin had Tennessee at its best of the worst since 2008 and he was able to snag USC even as their 3rd to 5th target.

If Huepel wins enough to go to bowl games and OU comes open, they would take him.

Tennessee is a stepping stone program right now because we are cheap and won’t actually pay a blank check to make a splash hire.

Add in OU and Texas coming to league, Tennessee only drops to further irrelevancy. Tennessee is easily outside the top 10 teams/programs in the SEC. right now we are about only better than Vandy, MIssissippi State, and maybe South Carolina. We are on very downward trajectory. Atleast Baseball and Basketball programs are great.
The only actual, big-name coach in college football right now is Nick Saban. Swinney wasn't a big name until he started winning at Clemson. Riley easn't a name before he started winning at Oklahoma. Kelly was a midmajor coach coming into Notre Dame. Name the last big name USC has hired. Same with Texas and Nebraska. Smart was a coordinator before Georgia. Name the last name Auburn hired as a head coach. Yeah Jumbo Fisher won a NC at FSU, but trended toward mediocrity ever since.OSU hired Meyer, but everyone they've hired before and after were nobodies. How's big name Harbaugh worked out at Michigan?

Surely you get my point here

How would you know? Last "successful" coach we had here was the fat man and we were his last coaching gig. Everyone since has been total dog excrement.

Kiffin was on the verge of rebuilding (more like restocking) before his dream job came calling. Dooley was a bad hire when the easiest coach was literally wanting to come here in Cut.

Butch was a horrible hire. We should have never let Chuck Strong leave Knoxville with out a contract signed.

Pruitt and Schiano were horrible hires. Should have offered Mullen 10 million to make a choice right away and then subsequently hired Kiffin who was lobbying for the job publicly. Now we have to face both and will get pummeled going forward.

Huepel was a “good ole boys” hire by White. I am not against the hire as i think he’s sorta like Mullen at MSU early. He will post points and hang around in games but there will be major growing pains. Would not surprise me if he goes bowling 6-7 wins and then gets OU job if Riley ever leaves.

The only actual, big-name coach in college football right now is Nick Saban. Swinney wasn't a big name until he started winning at Clemson. Riley easn't a name before he started winning at Oklahoma. Kelly was a midmajor coach coming into Notre Dame. Name the last big name USC has hired. Same with Texas and Nebraska. Smart was a coordinator before Georgia. Name the last name Auburn hired as a head coach. Yeah Jumbo Fisher won a NC at FSU, but trended toward mediocrity ever since.OSU hired Meyer, but everyone they've hired before and after were nobodies. How's big name Harbaugh worked out at Michigan?

Michigan is like 52-22 with Harbaugh. They avoided making the decision Tennessee made with Fulmer where we let the hate outweigh the objective view of making sure we can secure a major upgrade as coach. Michigan could can Harbaugh the last 3 years easily but they still wouldn’t be able to find a coach they know would be an instant upgrade. Tennessee would kill if Huepel was 52-22 or something similar even without winning the division once.

Jimbo isnt trending towards mediocrity. That’s just foolish.

I also LOL’d after you said Saban was only big name coach right now. Swinney has beat him twice for natty’s in recent history and played for another. Swinney is regarded as the heir apparent to Saban’s throne at Bama. I for one don’t see him leaving Clemson.

Saban is better but it’s not some wide ass gap. There is Saban, then Swinney, and then a big drop off.

Riley and Smart are always gonna compete for playoff spots. Smart was also considered HCIW had Saban left already from Bama.

Once again you have named a bunch of programs in much better stature and shape then us outside of Nebraska. Tennessee is still on downward trajectory and it’s only gonna get more irrelevant as league expands with two more blue bloods. Tennessee has to buy their way out of the wilderness. Sadly that too has come and passed us by

I’m not sure anyone would turn down this Power 5 coaching record if we had a chance at getting it at TennesseeCCE87E3A-1DBB-4835-BBEC-F65F19BD3CC0.jpeg.

Kiffin was on the verge of rebuilding (more like restocking) before his dream job came calling. Dooley was a bad hire when the easiest coach was literally wanting to come here in Cut.

Butch was a horrible hire. We should have never let Chuck Strong leave Knoxville with out a contract signed.

Pruitt and Schiano were horrible hires. Should have offered Mullen 10 million to make a choice right away and then subsequently hired Kiffin who was lobbying for the job publicly. Now we have to face both and will get pummeled going forward.

Huepel was a “good ole boys” hire by White. I am not against the hire as i think he’s sorta like Mullen at MSU early. He will post points and hang around in games but there will be major growing pains. Would not surprise me if he goes bowling 6-7 wins and then gets OU job if Riley ever leaves.

Not getting Cut was probably the death blow for this program. In hindsight, he should have been the first call but his close ties with Fulmer made him unattactive to the fans and thus a non-starter with the admin. IMO we did have other opportunities to secure him, but by that time, his age was a turn off.

If we'd gotten Mullen, he'd be looking to get out of Knoxville at the first opportunity. UF is a far easier gig to recruit to. He'll be a great success in LA if he gets that job. Fits his personality and lackadaisical recruiting approach well IMO. Would he have taken our job for 10M? I dunno. Franklin reportedly was offered 9M and said no. So many negatives to our situation right now. It's such a huge mountain to climb that I'm not so sure he'd be interested.

I don't see Heupel as a "good ole boy" hire. He's a guy White knew well and frankly, one of the few that he could actually talk into taking on this train wreck of a program. Will it work out? I don't know. He's going to need a longer leash and a helluva lot more patience than any other hire in our programs history. What he's facing is like nothing I've ever witnessed and I've seen a lot of UT football since my first game in '65.

Reactions: volncleveland
Not getting Cut was probably the death blow for this program. In hindsight, he should have been the first call but his close ties with Fulmer made him unattactive to the fans and thus a non-starter with the admin. IMO we did have other opportunities to secure him, but by that time, his age was a turn off.

If we'd gotten Mullen, he'd be looking to get out of Knoxville at the first opportunity. UF is a far easier gig to recruit to. He'll be a great success in LA if he gets that job. Fits his personality and lackadaisical recruiting approach well IMO. Would he have taken our job for 10M? I dunno. Franklin reportedly was offered 9M and said no. So many negatives to our situation right now. It's such a huge mountain to climb that I'm not so sure he'd be interested.

I don't see Heupel as a "good ole boy" hire. He's a guy White knew well and frankly, one of the few that he could actually talk into taking on this train wreck of a program. Will it work out? I don't know. He's going to need a longer leash and a helluva lot more patience than any other hire in our programs history. What he's facing is like nothing I've ever witnessed and I've seen a lot of UT football since my first game in '65.

Mullen would not be looking to exit at first chance if we was the highest paid coach in the land. Of course that’s the type of money Tennessee has to offer to get out of the wilderness.

We literally paid UCF 5 million to get their AD and Football Coach. Once again I’m not against it. Could be worse but this is no different politics in how they both got hired.

If heupel doesn’t work out or leaves for whatever reason over next few years, i would kill to snag Harbaugh. He would easily be the best coaching hire we have made prolly since Majors in terms of track record as Fulmer was coordinator. Atleast we know going bowling every year and winning 7-8 games would be certainty.

I'm not sure what argument either of you are making, but Franklin was a big name when he took over Penn State, and they are doing well under him. Mullen was a big name when he took over UF 2 years ago. Then you have Chip Kelly at UCLA. Jimbo was a big name and cost A&M like $70+ million, so obviously he was a pretty hot commodity. Mack Brown is a big name, though he probably wouldn't have agreed to coach anywhere else but UNC. And Harbaugh has worked out pretty well at Michigan with two 10 win seasons. He just can't beat OSU.

However, among all these, only Mullen and Jimbo were poached from other Power 5 programs, and to be honest, it seemed like Jimbo wanted out pretty bad at FSU. Mullen had a lot of money and an easier path to a championship waiting for him in UF along with the obvious UF history. But as I stated before, OU would likely seek out more proven coaches before going to Heupel. I mean certainly Heupel could shock the world and get TN to 11 wins while beating Saban. That would clearly get him on OU's radar in such a situation. But aside from that unlikely scenario, they are more likely to either hire from within, or go with a more proven commodity from the SEC like Kiffin or Sam Pittman.

I think the whole thing is moot anyways. Riley isn't leaving OU. USC is far more likely to hire Whittingham, Sitake, or Franklin.

Michigan is like 52-22 with Harbaugh. They avoided making the decision Tennessee made with Fulmer where we let the hate outweigh the objective view of making sure we can secure a major upgrade as coach. Michigan could can Harbaugh the last 3 years easily but they still wouldn’t be able to find a coach they know would be an instant upgrade. Tennessee would kill if Huepel was 52-22 or something similar even without winning the division once.

Jimbo isnt trending towards mediocrity. That’s just foolish.

I also LOL’d after you said Saban was only big name coach right now. Swinney has beat him twice for natty’s in recent history and played for another. Swinney is regarded as the heir apparent to Saban’s throne at Bama. I for one don’t see him leaving Clemson.

Saban is better but it’s not some wide ass gap. There is Saban, then Swinney, and then a big drop off.

Riley and Smart are always gonna compete for playoff spots. Smart was also considered HCIW had Saban left already from Bama.

Once again you have named a bunch of programs in much better stature and shape then us outside of Nebraska. Tennessee is still on downward trajectory and it’s only gonna get more irrelevant as league expands with two more blue bloods. Tennessee has to buy their way out of the wilderness. Sadly that too has come and passed us by
Swinney didn't become a big time coach UNTIL he started winning at Clemson.

You didn't get my point

Swinney didn't become a big time coach UNTIL he started winning at Clemson.

You didn't get my point

Swinney wasn’t hired from outside the program. He was there already and is not the traditional coach who made his way to national relevance thru multiple head coaching gigs.

200w.gif

Swinney wasn’t hired from outside the program. He was there already and is not the traditional coach who made his way to national relevance thru multiple head coaching gigs.
Regardless, he wasn't considered a "big time" coach until he started winning at Clemson. That's a fact

Regardless, he wasn't considered a "big time" coach until he started winning at Clemson. That's a fact

He wasn’t considered a head coach until Clemson promoted him either…… he literally had zero head coaching prospects had they cleaned house.

Nah, USC going to snag Urban Meyer. That dude is done in the NFL. Going to come back to college to save face and get a paycheck, following in the Saban footsteps.

VN Store

Back