Predictions for the upcoming season.

volnationnj

Last year we were 17-8 (9-4 in conference). There's a lot of optimism on the board about the upcoming season (Mainly because of a much deeper bench)
So, what are your predictions for the season, SEC, games against top 10 teams and the NCAA's ?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Last year we were 17-8 (9-4 in conference). There's a lot of optimism on the board about the upcoming season (Mainly because of a much deeper bench)
So, what are your predictions for the season, SEC, games against top 10 teams and the NCAA's ?
I think it is hard to say until we have at least a non conference schedule

I am going out on a limb, but I am going to predict we have at least 1 all SEC first team, 2 all SEC second team, finish top 10 rank, we best Connecticut (twice), 30 game win season, 13-3 in conference play, and at least semi final SEC finish, and at least Elite 8 finish.

I am going out on a limb, but I am going to predict we have at least 1 all SEC first team, 2 all SEC second team, finish top 10 rank, we best Connecticut (twice), 30 game win season, 13-3 in conference play, and at least semi final SEC finish, and at least Elite 8 finish.

Plus, a Freshman of the Year, and I’m not even sure which Freshman. GO LADY VOLS!

We go 14 and 2 in the SEC; SEC Finals; SEC POY (Rae); SEC FOY (Striplin or Wynn); and Top 10 at end regular of season .

I think we might have a shot at 12 and 4 in the SEC don't think we'll finish better than that and maybe a game or two worse. I'll stick with 12 and 4 SEC though and 21 and 7 overall for the regular season. My SEC record depends on us going 8 and 0 at home and 4 and 4 on the road.

the away schedule has the bottom tier of the conference for four of the games old Miss, Georgia and Arkansas are winnable on the road. Texas A@M, KY, LSU and Miss State at home very favorable schedule . How many of the close games, the ones where the shots aren't falling will they find a way to win. ugly wins are essential to be in the top tier of the conference. 6-2 on the road is very possible.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Hard to argue with that.
FOY in the SEC will be a function of playing time. With Dye and Green playing the 4 also, I don't know how much time Striplin will get. Puckett is behind Burrell at the 3. That leaves Wynn in the best situation.
Somewhere, in the SEC, there will be a freshman who will get 25 minutes a game. It will be difficult, though not impossible, to give away 10 minutes a game and still win FOY.

FOY in the SEC will be a function of playing time. With Dye and Green playing the 4 also, I don't know how much time Striplin will get. Puckett is behind Burrell at the 3. That leaves Wynn in the best situation.
Somewhere, in the SEC, there will be a freshman who will get 25 minutes a game. It will be difficult, though not impossible, to give away 10 minutes a game and still win FOY.

IMO, I think Striplin gets a lot of minutes because she has better raw talent than Green or Dye. She didn't fill the stat sheet just because she is a fun lovin' girl. She will not have the experience needed until she gets some game time in meaningful contests. We will need her to play like a sophomore or jr by the time the tourney starts.

I agree with your points. Marta also will play a role as to how the minutes are distributed. I think though that the incoming freshmen will push for minutes and by the end of the season one or two of them will be commanding substantial minutes. I see either Wynn or Striplin as SEC FOY.

IMO, I think Striplin gets a lot of minutes because she has better raw talent than Green or Dye. She didn't fill the stat sheet just because she is a fun lovin' girl. She will not have the experience needed until she gets some game time in meaningful contests. We will need her to play like a sophomore or jr by the time the tourney starts.
I agree that Striplin's upside is probably greater than either Green or Dye. The situation, however, is that Striplin hasn't played 1 college game. While Green is a senior and Dye a grad transfer. They have tons of experience playing at this level. Anything is possible but I just don't see how she'll get even 15 minutes a game
(But I've been wrong before).

I agree that Striplin's upside is probably greater than either Green or Dye. The situation, however, is that Striplin hasn't played 1 college game. While Green is a senior and Dye a grad transfer. They have tons of experience playing at this level. Anything is possible but I just don't see how she'll get even 15 minutes a game

I think 15 min is possible especially if they have to play her for a few min at the 5 position due to foul trouble or if she is the back up center

Last interview re: Green I feel like she’s really here for veteran presence/leadership and the opportunity to continue her education. I don’t think she’ll disrupt much with regards to playing time. They’ve GOTTA be at least just thinking about taking it easy on her physically this season. She’s undersized and too many injuries. I don’t think she just DOESNT play but I don’t think she’ll be playing extended minutes unless necessary and/or matchups or score mean she won’t have as many issues with physicality or endurance.

Last interview re: Green I feel like she’s really here for veteran presence/leadership and the opportunity to continue her education. I don’t think she’ll disrupt much with regards to playing time. They’ve GOTTA be at least just thinking about taking it easy on her physically this season. She’s undersized and too many injuries. I don’t think she just DOESNT play but I don’t think she’ll be playing extended minutes unless necessary and/or matchups or score mean she won’t have as many issues with physicality or endurance.
Good point.

Yeah, excellent point. Evidence that you are on to something is that Harper accepted Dye as a transfer, the only one, apparently planning to use her as the primary 4 and manage Green's minutes, and work Striplin in as she goes.

Yeah, excellent point. Evidence that you are on to something is that Harper accepted Dye as a transfer, the only one, apparently planning to use her as the primary 4 and manage Green's minutes, and work Striplin in as she goes.

That and the continued use of Marta as a backup at the 3 and 4 positions. The Freshmen will be able to be eased into their respective roles and won’t be demanded to play huge minutes unless their advanced development demands it but they will get the opportunity to do their thing for sure and I can’t wait to see it.

Kellie has options and versatility at every position this year. And if she continues to trend and develop in the direction she is.. we’re perfectly fine and will get too recruits to go along with top notch team members and depth.

Dye played against SEC teams twice last season and she was awesome in both games putting up huge numbers and that is why I believe she will be in the starting lineup from day one. I think along with Key and Burrell she gives us a much more potent 123 punch than we had last season mainly because I believe Key will be a more dominant offensive player this season. I could see us adding Horston and Walker as the other starters or we could go another way. Regardless of starters there seems little doubt that 1 through 10 this is the best Harper team at Tennessee. I am hoping we can push that 71 ppg team average up around the 80 mark and I am depending on this team to be just as effective rebounding and much better at the free throw line. Were getting close 47 days until the exhibition game. Going to be a lot of fun to finally see this team play.

Dye played against SEC teams twice last season and she was awesome in both games putting up huge numbers and that is why I believe she will be in the starting lineup from day one. I think along with Key and Burrell she gives us a much more potent 123 punch than we had last season mainly because I believe Key will be a more dominant offensive player this season. I could see us adding Horston and Walker as the other starters or we could go another way. Regardless of starters there seems little doubt that 1 through 10 this is the best Harper team at Tennessee. I am hoping we can push that 71 ppg team average up around the 80 mark and I am depending on this team to be just as effective rebounding and much better at the free throw line. Were getting close 47 days until the exhibition game. Going to be a lot of fun to finally see this team play.
Points per game is a combination of shooting percentage and shot attempts. Shot attempts being determined by style of play (i.e. a running game vs a slow down, half court offense). We could still score 71ppg and be a much better team, if we limited our opponents to less ppg than last year. Point differential is the number you want to increase.
What our scoring numbers will be is up to CKHJ and what kind of game she wants to run. Also, being in the SEC hampers scoring figures. In the SEC, only Arkansas was in the top 25 in team scoring last year. It's more of a physical, half court league.

Reactions: krichunaka
Points per game is a combination of shooting percentage and shot attempts. Shot attempts being determined by style of play (i.e. a running game vs a slow down, half court offense). We could still score 71ppg and be a much better team, if we limited our opponents to less ppg than last year. Point differential is the number you want to increase.
What our scoring numbers will be is up to CKHJ and what kind of game she wants to run. Also, being in the SEC hampers scoring figures. In the SEC, only Arkansas was in the top 25 in team scoring last year. It's more of a physical, half court league.
It could, but our shooting percentage was 44 percent. I would like to see that increase a couple of points and our free throw shooting could definitely see an increase of a few percentage points. I really don't expect us to play a different game maybe some things added or tweaked. 80 is a high mark to set and it would certainly probably be the maximum still getting it up from 71 to maybe 75 plus should be easy to do if players like Horston, Walker, Suarez, and the freshmen vs what KK and any others that played shows percentage improvement. I really think adding three to four points to that via the free throw line is going to happen because that was a bad part of our game meaning not getting there enough and missing way to many. The freshmen are all terrific free throw shooters other than Miles so that will add a few point if they can get to the line.

VN Store

Back