Hendon Hooker-Starter?

Who cares? We don’t have a good QB on the roster anyway. Play every QB we have including walk ons. Maybe someone will eventually be decent.
Don’t know if you’re right about not having a good QB or not, but as long as the ones playing are not doing very well then yeah try them all

Hooker went 15/21 for 188 2 TDs and 1 INT.

That's 71% passing. And he definitely has a little more touch on the deep ball.

He did this off the bench as the 2nd string QB with the 2nd String Center and therefore the 2nd string guard (Lane). And with the third string RB.

Add Small, Evans, Cooper Mays back into the mix and I think his time in the pocket and run game both improve with should BOTH improve his play.

He has to be the guy? Right?

The knock on Hooker is he turns the ball over, especially at very inopportune times. Case in point the last drive Saturday. So its pick your poison; do you want the guy who overthrows every deep ball or the guy who never sees the robber in the underneath zone coverage? Both are great athletes - just neither one is an SEC caliber QB at the moment. Let's all hope Huapel is the QB whisperer we thought he was.

After he settled in, I think he did well enough to start over Milton. I also think that Bailey should see playing time on Saturday just to see what we have. Regardless of what they look like in practice, Coach has an obligation to put the best QB in the game, regardless of where those chips fall.

The problem with that is some coaches just can''t stand to be wrong in their QB selection; and will stick by their guy until it's too late to get somebody else ready. PLUS, He promised the job to Milton; if he would Pick UT. So, look for more of the same-----------------. #$%^&*(*&^%$%^&*+_)(*&^%$#

The knock on Hooker is he turns the ball over, especially at very inopportune times. Case in point the last drive Saturday. So its pick your poison; do you want the guy who overthrows every deep ball or the guy who never sees the robber in the underneath zone coverage? Both are great athletes - just neither one is an SEC caliber QB at the moment. Let's all hope Huapel is the QB whisperer we thought he was.

I want the guy who is 71% passing, not 50% (with a larger sample size) on the season.

With a coach that is a QB guy I believe Hooker is more coachable. To me decision making is more coachable than horrible downfield accuracy.

Reactions: A.J.
After he settled in, I think he did well enough to start over Milton. I also think that Bailey should see playing time on Saturday just to see what we have. Regardless of what they look like in practice, Coach has an obligation to put the best QB in the game, regardless of where those chips fall.
then why was milton playing? makes me question this coach quite alot.
nobody in their right mind would start Milton.

Bailey had three fumbles last year in addition to his two picks, consistently held the ball too long and got sacked way too often. Seems you only notice when Hooker fumbles the balls.
Three fumbles in six games equals one every two games, compared to Milton and Hooker's average of a fumble per game. Bailey had 11 sacks in six games, which averages out to less than two per game, whereas so far Milton is averaging 2.5 sacks per game and Hooker is averaging 3.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
If you were smart, all three QBs should have rhythm with the team. Injuries happen as well.
QB's have different throwing styles, running styles and other different tendencies. Yes QB's get hurt but doing a constant musical chairs is going to do more harm than good.
There's a reason you don't see a constant musical change at QB during games. You may witch at the half if QB1 isn't doing anything but your 3 drives and your out plan won't work.

QB's have different throwing styles, running styles and other different tendencies. Yes QB's get hurt but doing a constant musical chairs is going to do more harm than good.
There's a reason you don't see a constant musical change at QB during games. You may witch at the half if QB1 isn't doing anything but your 3 drives and your out plan won't work.

Yes but so many coaches get fired because they fail to switch QBs early. Do you not think Pruitt should have pulled JG early into the UK game when he wasn't doing jack?

Les Miles got canned at LSU for staying with a QB that wasn't working in his last season.

Sure, perhaps Milton can learn the system but right now he doesn't give us the best chance to win. There shouldn't be any problem with keeping him out of games and practice with him until he is ready to play. We did that with Tee Martin and that did wonders for us.

Yes but so many coaches get fired because they fail to switch QBs early. Do you not think Pruitt should have pulled JG early into the UK game when he wasn't doing jack?

Les Miles got canned at LSU for staying with a QB that wasn't working in his last season.

Sure, perhaps Milton can learn the system but right now he doesn't give us the best chance to win. There shouldn't be any problem with keeping him out of games and practice with him until he is ready to play. We did that with Tee Martin and that did wonders for us.

I'm just commenting on your 3 drive and swap QB comment you made. Not If you should stick with a QB or not.
JG should've been pulled a long time ago. Honestly shouldn't have started last season at all.
No you don't stick with a failing QB, some point you have to pull the plug but you said 3 drives and pull them if they didn't score that's what all my comments have been in reference to.

You spoke of how little reps Hooker had.
Bailey had far less as a true freshman and still performed as good, if not better.
Against SEC teams.
I'm not against Bailey but for whatever reason he hasn't earned the opportunity. I suspect his inability to add to the run game is a factor.

His performance last year has to be taken in complete context. For instance, his performance against UF was good... but not when compared to what Shrout did against the same team on the same day with the same game plan. His inexperience makes his performance vs Auburn understandable but completing 70% against a D giving you the dump downs to run the clock out in a two score game... doesn't make it a great performance.

He shredded Vandy. You obviously want him to do that rather than not... but that was the most impressive game he had.

We've seen "good" things from him but nothing that says he's "it"... and again he has not earned the job this year.

Who reported that? Would love to see that.

In the presser today Heupel seemed to me to be slightly leaning away from Milton and toward Hooker.

Why?

1) He was complimentary of how Hooker played after the first series, citing that he hasn't been getting the same amount of reps as the starter.
2) He was DIRECTLY asked if Milton was 100% healthy this week if he would start on Saturday. If Milton is the guy you should immediately answer that question "Yes he is." Heupel did not answer that way. And would not commit to Milton being the starter.
It isn't always 100% accurate but this is precisely how you "read the tea leaves". Take the "my favorite" thinking out of the equation and listen for what is said and not said.

I have nothing against Milton. I understand and share the excitement over his physical ability. But if he can't hit the throws during games then you have to play someone else.

It seems like the game is too fast for Milton. He looks rushed on every one of his throws. If he gets the mental stuff down he should be starting. Until then it should be Hooker.

?

To me, QB should have 3 drives. If they don't score, put in a new QB that will.
I was specifically commenting to a post about someone subbing in a new QB on NCAA 14 lol but I’m glad you didn’t get it.

I figured he would just sub himself out as the “gamer” if his QB was doing bad because he is the “QB” considering he is controlling the QB with a “controller”

I was specifically commenting to a post about someone subbing in a new QB on NCAA 14 lol but I’m glad you didn’t get it.

I figured he would just sub himself out as the “gamer” if his QB was doing bad because he is the “QB” considering he is controlling the QB with a “controller”

That was my comment. My point is, put someone in that performs.

It is no different than a job. If you are not getting results, you need to reassign the project to someone else. You cannot afford to continue to do the same thing with no results.

I'm just commenting on your 3 drive and swap QB comment you made. Not If you should stick with a QB or not.
JG should've been pulled a long time ago. Honestly shouldn't have started last season at all.
No you don't stick with a failing QB, some point you have to pull the plug but you said 3 drives and pull them if they didn't score that's what all my comments have been in reference to.

I stand by that. I also think ever QB should be an option to play. Sometimes a good QB can just have an off day as well. It is like in Basketball. Sometimes the shots are dropping and sometimes they are not. If you want to WIN games, you need to have a QB and offense (it is not all the QB) that moves the ball.

I believe we are trending towards Hooker for Saturday.

When it comes to QB coach speak, being definitive is what coaches do if they intend to stay with their guy. Being vague is what coaches trend towards if they plan to make a move.

I think Heupel intends to make a move after what he said today. Two consecutive days he hasn’t committed to Milton for Saturday.

And he has to know that if Hooker does something on Saturday like posting an 18/24 300 yard stat line (even against a weak opponent) it will be nearly impossible to go away from him.

I think it’s Hendon for the next two weeks. No inside info. Just my gut check.

Reactions: A.J.
Three fumbles in six games equals one every two games, compared to Milton and Hooker's average of a fumble per game. Bailey had 11 sacks in six games, which averages out to less than two per game, whereas so far Milton is averaging 2.5 sacks per game and Hooker is averaging 3.
Let’s compare the stats when Hooker or Milton have played the same number of snaps/games as Bailey. Then it would be a fair comparison.

How any college level qb that can over throw a receiver by 20 yards who is 20 yards behind the coverage is hard to justify.

VN Store

Back