Josh Heupel Press Conference (9.13.21)

What if all you have in the stable are quarter horses? And if you don't judge how someone does in practice, what do you base your decision on?

Game reps against BG, and TT, along with the practice reps.

Should have happened under Pruitt, but his was too inept to ever get a lead big enough on the sisters of the poor.

Run your horses and see who performs best in an actual race! Hook and Bailey need to play under the lights, real time! No false 2 hand touch scrimmages!

Perhaps. Milton does best in practice, Hooker, then Bailey. Then that's your starting order. I don't think Bailey comes into the game on Saturday if he is the worst at practice and Hooker has us within a touchdown. I see your point, just not sure how it plays out on a Saturday. Maybe he get the opportunity to see the field this week.

I took it that he still wants Milton to be QB1 but may use the injury excuse to put Hooker out there. That's my tea leaves🤣
Maybe Milton would be better as a reliver, some QB's seem to play more loose when not starting

I guess I am just not following the train of thought here. It was stupid question. If the fans biggest concern is if the coach has talked to our QB about how he is overthrowing open receivers, then I'm not really sure what to make of that.

The fans biggest concern is the starting QB, and in particular --- Milton. Milton's biggest problem is overthrowing wide open receivers, so that's what the press is asking about, because that's what "we" want to hear.

The question isn't literal, it's just to get Huepel to talk about the disaster at QB.

I like Heupel, and I believe he will do good things here. I haven’t ever said that about any of the previous three dunderheads that sat in his desk.

However....

He needs to understand, somebody should warn him, not to burn the capital and the early good-will he has with the fan base with being stubborn about the QB position. That capital won’t last forever, and this place can be miserable for everybody when it runs out. If Milton is the guy....make your case and stand with it. If there is any doubt, now is the time flesh it out and try the other guys.

I can see why he’d want Milton to work out. The upside seems to be really high. On the other hand, maybe this team needs an efficient game manager instead of Superman.

Last edited:
I think it’s Hooker, then Milton or Bailey, or Bailey if Milton is still sore. At this point, they know what Milton can (and more importantly cannot) do. So I would expect to see Hooker, and then at least 1Q of Bailey. This is the last chance to get live game reps before we start big boy FB.

Milton will remain a work in progress. The question is how much progress he can make.

* “I think we all believe we have a chance to be a good football team.”

Well, that is contingent on whether you keep trying to make a quarter horse run the derby like it’s a suddenly a thoroughbred. Milton will not suddenly start performing like Johnny U when the lights come on and he’s playing against sec defenses. Instead, you need to play Bailey and Hook equally on this easy, unimportant, game and see who’s our baller. Inquiring minds want to know. Because all we know is Milton should be competing in the javelin in the next Olympics…not for any SEC football team (including ours). Lastly, you can’t judge everything on practice when all you all are doing is playing two hand touch with the QBs. Clearly your best “practice QB” isn’t what you said/thought he was. GBO!
Since Ga State , I'll never say a game is unimportant. UT has been down far too long to get cocky about any opponent. Let's go 10-2 for four straight years then strut around some.

It sure is nice to have a coach that doesn’t leave me shaking my head after every press conference! Don’t know if it has any bearing on whether the team will have success, but at least our coach doesn’t come across as a hick moron, cheesy used car salesman, or an arrogant jerk who thinks he’s too smart to answer questions from the stupid media!

Hypothetical:
Milton hits 2 of the deep throws, what would the expectations be?
Just wondering. I think we have 3 avg QB's on the roster and Heupel is riding this out.
If he is the QB guru many said he was, I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I think we got caught up in the pre season hype. Gonna be a long but perhaps fun year.

I like Heupel, and I believe he will do good things here. I haven’t ever said that about any of the previous three dunderheads that sat in his desk.

However....

He needs to understand, somebody should warn him, not to burn the capitol and the early good-will he has with the fan base with being stubborn about the QB position. It won’t last forever, and this place can be miserable for everybody when that happens. If Milton is the guy....make your case and stand with it. If there is any doubt, now is the time flesh it out and try the other guys.

I can see why he’d want Milton to work out. The upside seems to be really high. On the other hand, maybe this team needs an efficient game manager instead of Superman.
I agree! You should send this message to ADDW and CJH, VolTwitter, etc. Let them know directly! This is great advice!

The fans biggest concern is the starting QB, and in particular --- Milton. Milton's biggest problem is overthrowing wide open receivers, so that's what the press is asking about, because that's what "we" want to hear.

The question isn't literal, it's just to get Huepel to talk about the disaster at QB.

Still a stupid question and the journalist that asked shouldn't be invited back until he has something with a little more substance. Heupel had already been asked about the QB situation just a few minutes earlier. I would have told him to shut up. But reason number 376 why I am not a college coach.

He needs to forget about the long ball with Milton. I would hate to see a 245lb QB rolling out on my side as a defensive back. His arm alone stretches the defense, just need to throw 1 early.
I thought the 1st 2 drives against BG were perfect for the QB, the style of offense and the defense (ran clock). Why did we suddenly start throwing the bombs every play. If it was a move by the Pitt defense it was a good one.

Since Ga State , I'll never say a game is unimportant. UT has been down far too long to get cocky about any opponent. Let's go 10-2 for four straight years then strut around some.

Not strutting…but we could lose this game and still win the East. The point is let these other guys get live reps with the 1st team O. Sometimes you learn best by doing…better to do it with tech than the Gators!

Reactions: Vol Main
Hypothetical:
Milton hits 2 of the deep throws, what would the expectations be?
Just wondering. I think we have 3 avg QB's on the roster and Heupel is riding this out.
If he is the QB guru many said he was, I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I think we got caught up in the pre season hype. Gonna be a long but perhaps fun year.
He hit Hyatt 60 plus yard down field, but it was dropped (holding call would have brought it back also). I think Heupel's thinking on Milton is that he can make the right decisions in the short game and get it to the receiver in a hurry, and that he has shown he can make those 60-80 yard throws in practice and in the Hyatt throw previously referenced. Heupel probably doesn't want to throw away the most talented arm too soon, thinking that he can work on trajectory and timing issues. As you will recall, last year Harrison's deep ball trajectory was too flat and he improved in the spring as evidenced in the O&W game where he placed some dimes. Heupel probably thinks that Milton can correct it with repetition. He's basically got a young Nolan Ryan who is walking too many batters/throwing too many wild pitches. What to do? Trade him (let Milton transfer), demote him to the minors (2nd/3rd string), or work through the control issues hoping that he will become the all-star that his talent rates? I don't have the answer to that, and I'm not sure Heupel does either.

Milton will get another chance and that's fine.

Maybe if he hits one it'll take care of the rest. It's like he gets too excited for something.

Wish he didn't get hurt so we could've seen what he did the rest of the game. If he continued to miss and miss and miss then it would've put the issue to bed probably. If he made some of those throws then maybe we feel he's the guy.

Now we are entrenched in QB limbo againnnnnn

Huepel has a history of patience with QBs. I wouldn't be surprised if Milton starts all season. It's what he did with Lock in year 1 no matter how bad he looked.

Reactions: Deebowbear
Just play Hooker the rest of the year and be done with it.
Obviously Milton has zero touch. Every ball he throws is 400 mph wether it’s a 5 yd throw or 50 yd throw.

Reactions: beachvol23
My take on the qb situation based on what (little) I know

Milton - big, can escape the pocket well/mobile, has a huge arm, a tad cocky and runs the O well, looks best in practice, accuracy problems in games (I wonder if nerves/adrenaline have something to do with it)

Hooker - not as big of an arm at Milton, can escape the pocket well/mobile but maybe not as good at Milton, looks ok in practice but has some accuracy problems/taking care of the ball (interceptions and fumbles)

Bailey - good accuracy but not as mobile as the other two (which may be why he’s not playing…yet)

I shudder to think of how many turnovers the Gators, the Bulldogs, and the Tide are going to get with Milton and Hook. I have a bad feeling that the sec is going to chew us up and spit us out with the two options we’ve seen thus far. I truly hope I’m wrong, but the inaccurate passes coupled with the bad decisions and fumblitis is a terrible concoction for us. Man, I hope I’m wrong!

Reactions: krichunaka

VN Store

Back