Hendon Hooker-Starter?

mitzustu

Hooker went 15/21 for 188 2 TDs and 1 INT.

That's 71% passing. And he definitely has a little more touch on the deep ball.

He did this off the bench as the 2nd string QB with the 2nd String Center and therefore the 2nd string guard (Lane). And with the third string RB.

Add Small, Evans, Cooper Mays back into the mix and I think his time in the pocket and run game both improve with should BOTH improve his play.

He has to be the guy? Right?

Hooker went 15/21 for 188 2 TDs and 1 INT. Don’t forget the ”AND 1 FUMBLE,” reckless at that. That’s 2 turnovers.

He did this off the bench as the 2nd string QB with the 2nd String Center and therefore the 2nd string guard (Lane). And with the third string RB.

Add Small, Evans, Cooper Mays back into the mix and I think his time in the pocket and run game both improve with should BOTH improve his play.

Finished your stats.

Hendon absolutely earned the chance to start Saturday, barring a complete F-up in practice this week. Bailey should get a few reps late in the game.

I love the talent Bailey has; he's absolutely the most talented passer we have. However, he wasn't recruited for this style system and I have to believe that the reason he's getting buried in the depth chart is simply because of his lack of mobility as compared to the other Hooker and Milton when the pocket collapses. But as long as he's on this team, that young man needs some real game reps. I'd like to see him play the whole 4th quarter, if not half of the 3rd, just to get him prepped as a 2nd stringer as long as Milton is out.

I think that Hendon will start, but Milton does a good job running the fast paced offense so I understand why the staff opted to start him. But they both can run and HH is passing much better at this point.

Milton lost a fumble too. And is 50% passing on the season. And had Jabari Small in there.

I'm rolling with Hendon.
I don’t disagree, but that fumble was big. It cost points and momentum. 2 TDs and 2 turnovers is more accurate statistical analysis.

Reactions: 901 Orange
After he settled in, I think he did well enough to start over Milton. I also think that Bailey should see playing time on Saturday just to see what we have. Regardless of what they look like in practice, Coach has an obligation to put the best QB in the game, regardless of where those chips fall.

Did he complete a deep throw? I saw single read then run type of offense. Most of the time he only had one or two guys running routes downfield.

He certainly was better than Milton, IMO. Turnovers are a concern.

Really, I won't be happy until I see passing yardage above 275 in a game, maybe even 300 with this type of offense. With this offense, there is no excuse for only having 382 yards and only 3 TD's passing in two games against Bowling Greeen and Pitt. If they have less than 200 yards against Tech, I will likely stop making the effort to watch any more.

Last edited:
I’m so tired of the practice champion QB’s not getting it done in game day and then hearing the HC say something like, “We’ll have to look at game film to see if we can work out the glitches and see how practice goes this week”. Practice is practice and Milton’s problem isn’t a minor glitch. He has a history of overthrowing wide open receivers. The guy that starts has to be the guy that is best when real darts are coming at them. Looking like a million bucks when no one is in your face is worthless come game time. So far it is abundantly clear Hooker is a better game time QB than Milton. Way better and it’s not even close.

I think so. IMO he gives us about a 50% greater chance to score when he is in the game.

Reactions: cgrish
Did he complete a deep throw? I saw single read then run type of offense. Most of the time he only had one or two guys running routes downfield.

He certainly was better than Milton, IMO. Turnovers are a concern.

Really, I won't be happy until I see passing yardage above 275 in a game, maybe even 300 with this type of offense. With this offense, there is no excuse for only having 382 yards and only 3 TD's passing in two games against Bowling Greeen and Pitt. If they have less than 200 yards against Tech, I will likely stop making the effort to watch any more.
Offense was definitely dumbed down with Hooker which says a lot considering he's been here longer than Joe

Absolutely, with Bailey getting a few reps too….
There's really no excuse for Bailey not getting his shot. If Milton had lived up to the hype, or even had been in the same zip code as the hype, that would have been one thing...but he was horrific. Hooker, though better, lost the game with an interception that wasn't a slightly bad throw, it was laughably bad; you could see as soon as he threw it that it was going to get picked. And before that he had another turnover with the fumble. So he has already had as many turnovers in one game against non-SEC competition, as a senior, as Bailey had last year in five games against SEC competition as a true freshman.

Last edited:
Hooker's touchdown pass to Warren was legit my first pass with touch I've seen from a Vol QB this year. I seriously don't believe Milton has the ability to throw a touch pass. His pitches consist of nothing but a fast ball, even his deep ball. It's insane

Reactions: 08Vol

No guru here, but a little common sense. 2 games in with 2 week prep for florida.
First off CJH might have a delima in that now that tape is out there, the deep ball is a concern. As we all have seen, when your unable to hit a deep throw, load the box and stop the run starts occurring. HH can only manage 7-10 yard throws. Now put 8 in the box and probably his percentage drops. Milton, same thing. Why drop 8 when chances man to man will work.
Harrison B. Is a great passer but 0 escapablity at this point.
Just me, I would prepare 2, who is hot at how the game is being played? Still greatly excited, at the way the boys play!

VN Store

Back