1) Across the middle for first down
2) Payton for touchdown
*Punt

Third drive:
3) Calloway inside 10 yard line
4) Merrill for touchdown
5) Tillman for touchdown
6) Payton on free offsides play
**Field goal, 10-0, Pitt goes on to score next two drives and Vols get FG off Milton scramble, making score 14-13 Pitt

Of these six throws, four should be labeled as egregious. Not bashing Milton, just thought I would share the tape for those interested in re-watching.
Those are the ones that counted. There were others that were horrible that both QBs threw, but were bailed out by penalties... Arguable that some PI penalties were or weren't catchable...

Reactions: bpalmer28
A lot of those were egregious. That 5th one is insane. No one is near Tillman. No defenders coming for Milton. It's like playing backyard football and he still misses him by a mile!

I just don't see how you can coach that. It's like taking a guy who shoots 5% from the 3-point line and trying to teach him to be Steph Curry, just because he's 7 foot tall.
You can't fix that. Dude can't control his emotions or has zero depth perception.

Agreed. We saw him make throws in the spring game that Hooker and Milton have never been able to make in their lengthy careers. And yet he is riding the bench. And surprise surprise we are struggling completing passes. Wide open passes at that. Makes no sense to me.
A good coach adapts to make use of his best players. If Bailey is the best QBs, adjust your gameplay to fit him in.

The overthrows can be found here:

Second drive, score 7-0 TN:
1) Across the middle for first down
2) Payton for touchdown
*Punt

Third drive:
3) Calloway inside 10 yard line
4) Merrill for touchdown
5) Tillman for touchdown
6) Payton on free offsides play
**Field goal, 10-0, Pitt goes on to score next two drives and Vols get FG off Milton scramble, making score 14-13 Pitt

Of these six throws, four should be labeled as egregious. Not bashing Milton, just thought I would share the tape for those interested in re-watching.
Holy crap. It’s soooo frustrating.

Hes not a statue. He can move around in the pocket. Is he going to break a 50 yard run? Probably not. But no one will ever EVER convince me that should be top priority of a QB. The position comes down to making reads and making throws. If you can't do that, you are useless as a QB.

Since we’ve got a porous stitched together OL with no depth a running QB becomes our “top priority”.

Not sure what game you watched last week but both Milton’s and Hooker’s biggest game extending plays were runs NOT passes. This wasn’t by design it was out of necessity.

When Hooker had windows of opportunity he made some pretty good reads and throws. But those were 100% set up by his legs. Without those QB runs we would have been tsunamied by Pitt.

Reactions: KptVFL
Agreed. We saw him make throws in the spring game that Hooker and Milton have never been able to make in their lengthy careers. And yet he is riding the bench. And surprise surprise we are struggling completing passes. Wide open passes at that. Makes no sense to me.
Me neither we have to see HB get playing time against the cupcake next week and before we start the SEC part of the schedule!

Look guys I'm really at the point where I want to see Bailey. This is a 360 by me after two games. The problem is I don't believe the online can protect a guy that's not mobile.
Some really non athletic QB’s have done ok behind terrible lines by protecting themselves by getting the ball out quick to the right guy

We had a kid in my hometown who shot basketballs almost 3 hours a day from the time he was 5 years old until he was 13. He couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn when he tried out for the basketball team as a Freshman. The old saying “ practice makes prefect“ is not always true.
Did he ever get to a point where he could at least pert near get it in ?

Some really non athletic QB’s have done ok behind terrible lines by protecting themselves by getting the ball out quick to the right guy
Yes but the WR'S must get open. Our WR'S seem to have problems beating man coverage.

You can't fix that. Dude can't control his emotions or has zero depth perception.
Maybe you’re on to something here! Maybe Milton is like wild thing from major league? Has anyone checked his eyesight? Maybe we need to get him a nice pair of bifocals and he’ll start throwing strikes!🤷‍♂️
GBO!!

I think IF Milton can fix the extreme overthrows, he can still be a decent QB for us. Rewatched the game and generally, he improved on throwing it on time and threw with accuracy on shorter to mid-range throws.

I’m not sold on Hooker yet, except for being a great runner. Harrison Bailey clearly performed better than Hooker in the spring game from a passing standpoint, so I would rather have Bailey if it’s not Milton.

Play Milton he over throws
Put in Hooker he turns it over
Put in Bailey he can't run

If Bailey is accurate enough with his passes, maybe he doesn't have to run.
I don't accept the premise that you have to have a dual-threat QB to compete. I believe that anytime you go with a 10, 11, or 12 personnel groupings, the defense has to respect the run to the point that passing lanes will be there for an accurate QB.
It appears that we have a staff that is comfortable with a system and doesn't possess the creativity to adjust to our current personnel; that will only go so far in the SEC.

VN Store

Back