Why I am optimistic and excited

The poster is right. A lot of you NegaVols keep whining about being tired of losing and putting up with it. Y'all need a reality check.

Fatigue should be normal if we are continually losing to teams we should be beating. We have yet to do that under Heupel, nobody who knows what they are talking about had us winning that game.

If you're tired it's because you have an inflated view of the program that is impossible to live up to. It's not the 90s anymore. Catch up.

We had a three (3) turnovers, a TD dropped (with a penalty), a failed 4th and inches inside the five (5) yard line, a second Special Team touchdown called back on a questionable block in the back, several TDs missed by overthrows, the ball inside the five (5) yard line we couldn't get in after Milton's long run and our starting center out for the game with our top two (2) running backs not playing in the second half.

Despite that we managed to score 34 points with almost 400 yards of total offense. Against what I would consider a pretty good defensive team.

While giving up 41 points I thought the our defense played pretty well. Especially against the run giving up less than 100 yards and allowing the longest run of only thirteen (13) yards. The Pitt quarterback is a Super Senior coming back to improve his draft stock to a second rounder. I think he will be one of the better quarterbacks we play this year, probably around 4th best. The others will certainly be NFL bound and high draft picks.

What I noticed in watching the game in Neyland and then later on TV today is that we have a very well coached team. The penalties are a little concerning but I think that gets worked out. Our Special Teams was excellent for sure and Ekeler is a heck of a coach. The creativity on offense is refreshing and is the best offensively coached team since Lane Kiffin. I think Heupel is even a better offensive mind than Kiffin and without the stupid and juvenile behavior.

Certainly there is a lot to "clean up" but this team actually fights and plays hard. There are issues at quarterback but I truly think if Mays, Evans, Small, Hyatt, Milton or Hooker play the full game we win. I like Milton and think he is a real weapon once he gains some touch, and I think Hooker played a good game but it took him a little while to get warmed up. Milton has two (2) more years to improve.

The point I am trying to make is that we have good offensive coaches with a wining scheme and defensive coaches that have dramatically improved our defense over what the defensive guru was doing in previous years.

What Heupel doesn't have right now is Drew Lock, but when he gets his quarterback either from high school, transfer portal or by development watch out, I think teams are going to have to score 40+ to beat us each game.

All of this takes time and patience, but I for one like what I am seeing even if was in a loss.

I agree, this team did not give up, they fought hard past all those penalties and missed opportunities. Pitt was gifted that win, we beat ourselves.

Fans have been present for all of those seasons. Memories don't change because coaches do. I'm in the camp that Heupel is owed 5 years and the first three dont matter outside of fundamentals, culture, and roster building. This program will never get back on track without overachieving in some season. That is all that will sustain any recruiting momentum, and Heupel appears way behind in that area. I also believe he was never the coach to regain prominence. The only hope with him is that he stabilizes things to make it possible to entice the real coaching savior to take the job later.
As hard as it is for fans, everytime there is a complete change the "clock" is reset. CJH isn't responsible for what occurred before he got here.

I've found most of the folks who are overly harsh are typically against CJH's hire from the beginning.

We'll see whether he is who we need or not in due time.

The views on TV of the empty stands and ticket discount specials say otherwise.
I guess you also missed the part where the stadium was deafening and causing offside penalties to the offense. I bet you really never contributed much on Tennessee's best of days. So just get over yourself, if you aren't a fan that's fine. Just find something else to complain about.

"I like Milton and think he is a real weapon once he gains some touch"

I was with you up until you said that, for the most part. Milton is not a good passer and he runs like he's afraid to get hit despite being more physically impressive than most of the guys trying to takle him.

Heupel can win here but he needs a QB who can read the field and be accurate on his throws. How many deep balls does Milton get to overthrow before we let someone else try?

I was with you up until you said that, for the most part. Milton is not a good passer and he runs like he's afraid to get hit despite being more physically impressive than most of the guys trying to takle him.

Heupel can win here but he needs a QB who can read the field and be accurate on his throws. How many deep balls does Milton get to overthrow before we let someone else try?
Did you like what you saw out of Hooker?

You didn't read the entire post. I wrote very clearly that he needed his quarterback and when he had him, whether it came from the portal, development or high school our rivals should be worried.

As far as Milton, I was suggesting he has talent, that is clear on some of his throws but he is raw and needs development. Nobody can ignore his physical attributes and he has 2 more years to develop beyond this year. I was at Neyland and I can promise you on his 54 yard run he didn't look timid at all. He looked quite impressive.

Disregarding his turnovers?
I think his threat as a runner will free up some space for other guys to make plays. I would like to see him get a whole week of practice as the #1 and see how the offense performs.

Milton and Hooker both had turnovers, but I like what I saw offensively while Hooker was leading.

You didn't read the entire post. I wrote very clearly that he needed his quarterback and when he had him, whether it came from the portal, development or high school our rivals should be worried.

As far as Milton, I was suggesting he has talent, that is clear on some of his throws but he is raw and needs development. Nobody can ignore his physical attributes and he has 2 more years to develop beyond this year. I was at Neyland and I can promise you on his 54 yard run he didn't look timid at all. He looked quite impressive.

You insinuate you think Milton can learn to be accurate. I disagree.

I think his threat as a runner will free up some space for other guys to make plays. I would like to see him get a whole week of practice as the #1 and see how the offense performs.

Milton and Hooker both had turnovers, but I like what I saw offensively while Hooker was leading.
It's interesting how we fans latch onto aspects of performance which pain us but can let go of other harmful aspects with another player.
Not calling you out at all. We all do it. I think it's accurate to say we don't see hope with milton but we do with hooker even though those turnovers were costly.

Reactions: Falcons02
I didn't read it Sunshine Pumper. You're one of those "know it alls" who likes to tell others how to think. I suspect you're the buffoon. Get in bed now....you don't want to over sleep and miss the school bus tomorrow. 🌞
So you took the time to comment and disagree on posts that you don't actual read? And I'm the buffoon?

Seriously you must be completely miserable to object to things that you don't read. I guess you are a big "Fake News" type of fella, aren't ya.

It's interesting how we fans latch onto aspects of performance which pain us but can let go of other harmful aspects with another player.
Not calling you out at all. We all do it. I think it's accurate to say we don't see hope with milton but we do with hooker even though those turnovers were costly.
I think if Hooker plays the whole game we aren't in a position in the 4th quarter where we are pushing to tie the game. Those late-in-the-half situations are the sort of thing that get practiced a lot during the week, hence my comment about Hooker being the #1 all week.

I am open to the possibility, though, that I am doing as you suggest and ignoring his bad moments. I think having a gameplan centered around Hooker's strengths can cover up some of his weak spots.

Reactions: McDad
Agree with OP and still could have won this game. For real pain, look at the transfer list and infer that to this team.

I think if Hooker plays the whole game we aren't in a position in the 4th quarter where we are pushing to tie the game. Those late-in-the-half situations are the sort of thing that get practiced a lot during the week, hence my comment about Hooker being the #1 all week.

I am open to the possibility, though, that I am doing as you suggest and ignoring his bad moments. I think having a gameplan centered around Hooker's strengths can cover up some of his weak spots.
It might. I think Hooker is a more gifted runner. Doesn't have the cannon of Milton but what benefit is a cannon which doesn't hit its target.

I think Hooker is in the driver's seat to take the 1 from Milton permanently right now.

VN Store

Back