Why I am optimistic and excited

RobertPellitt

We had a three (3) turnovers, a TD dropped (with a penalty), a failed 4th and inches inside the five (5) yard line, a second Special Team touchdown called back on a questionable block in the back, several TDs missed by overthrows, the ball inside the five (5) yard line we couldn't get in after Milton's long run and our starting center out for the game with our top two (2) running backs not playing in the second half.

Despite that we managed to score 34 points with almost 400 yards of total offense. Against what I would consider a pretty good defensive team.

While giving up 41 points I thought the our defense played pretty well. Especially against the run giving up less than 100 yards and allowing the longest run of only thirteen (13) yards. The Pitt quarterback is a Super Senior coming back to improve his draft stock to a second rounder. I think he will be one of the better quarterbacks we play this year, probably around 4th best. The others will certainly be NFL bound and high draft picks.

What I noticed in watching the game in Neyland and then later on TV today is that we have a very well coached team. The penalties are a little concerning but I think that gets worked out. Our Special Teams was excellent for sure and Ekeler is a heck of a coach. The creativity on offense is refreshing and is the best offensively coached team since Lane Kiffin. I think Heupel is even a better offensive mind than Kiffin and without the stupid and juvenile behavior.

Certainly there is a lot to "clean up" but this team actually fights and plays hard. There are issues at quarterback but I truly think if Mays, Evans, Small, Hyatt, Milton or Hooker play the full game we win. I like Milton and think he is a real weapon once he gains some touch, and I think Hooker played a good game but it took him a little while to get warmed up. Milton has two (2) more years to improve.

The point I am trying to make is that we have good offensive coaches with a wining scheme and defensive coaches that have dramatically improved our defense over what the defensive guru was doing in previous years.

What Heupel doesn't have right now is Drew Lock, but when he gets his quarterback either from high school, transfer portal or by development watch out, I think teams are going to have to score 40+ to beat us each game.

All of this takes time and patience, but I for one like what I am seeing even if was in a loss.

Last edited:
Sorry...but I think "most fans" are simply tired of scraping for positives in loss after loss! We're not looking for moral victories. There are games that we "know/expect" to lose at this stage...but at SOME POINT you have WIN 50/50 games. TN could've and should've won this game....which would've gone a LONG way towards building fan optimism!

Sorry...but I think "most fans" are simply tired of scraping for positives in loss after loss! We're not looking for moral victories. There are games that we "know/expect" to lose at this stage...but at SOME POINT you have WIN 50/50 games. TN could've and should've won this game....which would've gone a LONG way towards building fan optimism!
If at some point you have to win 50/50 games, Is the 2nd game the point at which you have to do that?

Henry the traitor is playing out of his mind for bammer........if we had him shoring up the D and calling coverages we would have beaten the rat pack imho

We had a three (3) turnovers, a TD dropped (with a penalty), a failed 4th and inches inside the five (5) yard line, a second Special Team touchdown called back on a questionable block in the back, several TDs missed by overthrows, the ball inside the five (5) yard line we couldn't get in after Milton's long run and our starting center out for the game with our top two (2) running backs not playing in the second half.

Despite that we managed to score 34 points with almost 400 yards of total offense. Against what I would consider a pretty good defensive team.

While giving up 41 points I thought the our defense played pretty well. Especially against the run giving up less than 100 yards and allowing the longest run of only thirteen (13) yards. The Pitt quarterback is a Super Senior coming back to improve his draft stock to a second rounder. I think he will be one of the better quarterbacks we play this year, probably around 4th best. The others will certainly be NFL bound and high draft picks.

What I noticed in watching the game in Neyland and then later on TV today is that we have a very well coached team. The penalties are a little concerning but I think that gets worked out. Our Special Teams was excellent for sure and Ekeler is a heck of a coach. The creativity on offense is refreshing and is the best offensively coached team since Lane Kiffin. I think Heupel is even a better offensive mind than Kiffin and without the stupid and juvenile behavior.

Certainly there is a lot to "clean up" but this team actually fights and plays hard. There are issues at quarterback but I truly think if Mays, Evans, Small, Hyatt, Milton or Hooker play the full game we win. I like Milton and think he is a real weapon once he gains some touch, and I think Hooker played a good game but it took him a little while to get warmed up. Milton has two (2) more years to improve.

The point I am trying to make is that we have good offensive coaches with a wining scheme and defensive coaches that have dramatically improved our defense over what the defensive guru was doing in previous years.

What Heupel doesn't have right now is Drew Lock, but when he gets his quarterback either from high school, transfer portal or by development watch out, I think teams are going to have to score 40+ to beat us each game.

All of this takes time and patience, but I for one like what I am seeing even if was in a loss.
After reading this sunshine pumper post, you sir, add new meaning to the glass being half full. Bravo! Bravo!

tenor (1).gif

But instead, you choose to be miserable?

I think if you take the requisite time and actually try and comprehend what I wrote, I clearly stated that we should have won, and even done so quite easily.

Henry the traitor is playing out of his mind for bammer........if we had him shoring up the D and calling coverages we would have beaten the rat pack imho

If Nieds and Shelton Felton were still coaching Henry here, he would have looked as lost as he did last year. Funny how much better someone looks with competent coaching.

I think if you take the requisite time and actually try and comprehend what I wrote, I clearly stated that we should have won, and even done so quite easily.
Agreed! As sloppy as we played we still had a shot. I'm most disappointed that Coach H didn't challenge that 3rd down spot. I simply can't get past that! 95% of "veteran coaches" would've challenged that spot without concern of "losing" his last timeout! We tie the game within 3 plays had he challenged that and we get the 1st. I have a pic that CLEARLY shows Hookers entire body past the first down maker. VERY disappointed in Coaching move.

Agreed! As sloppy as we played we still had a shot. I'm most disappointed that Coach H didn't challenge that 3rd down spot. I simply can't get past that! 95% of "veteran coaches" would've challenged that spot without concern of "losing" his last timeout! We tie the game within 3 plays had he challenged that and we get the 1st. I have a pic that CLEARLY shows Hookers entire body past the first down maker. VERY disappointed in Coaching move.
I think that is a bit much given that it was on the opposite side of the field. But if that is the most you have to criticize then I guess that is nice. The one thing I think he could be second guessed on is the next play.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
images

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
That seems entirely reasonable since CJH has controlled the process of those 15 seasons.
Fans have been present for all of those seasons. Memories don't change because coaches do. I'm in the camp that Heupel is owed 5 years and the first three dont matter outside of fundamentals, culture, and roster building. This program will never get back on track without overachieving in some season. That is all that will sustain any recruiting momentum, and Heupel appears way behind in that area. I also believe he was never the coach to regain prominence. The only hope with him is that he stabilizes things to make it possible to entice the real coaching savior to take the job later.

After reading this sunshine pumper post, you sir, add new meaning to the glass being half full. Bravo! Bravo!
I think if you read anything I have written in the past, I think you will find I am anything but a sunshine pumper. But hey, just be part of the legion of miserable and in the basket of deplorables. Just be unhappy regardless if the obvious would make you happier.

Reactions: volnole

All solid points

VN Store

Back