Fourth down call - Could they have run a play call worse than that?

Man have anybody else ever thought about how long now we have heard the same thing under different staffs. Didn’t execute, missed assignments, penalties, not everyone was on the same page, and etc. I mean either we are hiring undisciplined minded coaches or our players seem to have focusing problems and short attention spans.

If none of these issues are cleaned up by the FL game and they play the same way, then I agree with what you say. Lets see in 2 weeks.

Reactions: tennesseepride84
And that why it's bad coaching. How many times do we hear, 1st, 2nd, 3rd string get reps on the same plays? 4th and 1 plays, 3rd and 10 screens should be known by every mix of personnel down to the waterboy! If HH hadn't practiced a QB sneak with every center on the team; that's bad coaching!!!!!

No it isn’t, they aren’t a pro style offense and the line isn’t remotely good enough to run power football. Running from the spread gives our oline the best chance for success whether you agree with it or not

I didn’t like the call particularly well, but if they had scored everyone would be saying it was a great call

I believe they said it was a play call miscommunication but it is what it is. TN isn’t the first team to ever do that and that was maybe the first time they nailed us behind the line on a run play.

You are comparing a tuba player to a real QB who finished 2nd in the Heisman. You must be a real Norman Einstein. Did you know we had a back-up center, a back-up QB and the 3rd string rb in at the time. I doubt they had ever practiced a play under center before.
Maybe they should have practiced for a 4th and inches? You would think a true football guy like Heupel would prepare for that? But like the OP said—that was a BJ type play. 100%. He’s just calling it like it is. I’d rather get the QB stuffed sneaking than get tackled 3 yds behind the LOS.

Maybe they should have practiced for a 4th and inches? You would think a true football guy like Heupel would prepare for that? But like the OP said—that was a BJ type play. 100%. He’s just calling it like it is. I’d rather get the QB stuffed sneaking than get tackled 3 yds behind the LOS.

What part of second string center, second string QB and third string TB did you not understand?

Would have been nice to have Tee Hodge at TB in that situation.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
What part of second string center, second string QB and third string TB did you not understand?

Would have been nice to have Tee Hodge at TB in that situation.
It shouldn’t matter. I don’t care if it’s the water boy—you don’t run a shotgun play on 4th and inches. I guess I am not a football guy for thinking that should be common sense? Do coaches not practice all players for 4th and short? I guess all plays must be ran from shotgun now—at all costs! It is what drives me nuts about spread offenses. When they are constricted and it it makes more sense to do a traditional pro jumbo package, these so called “offensive genius” play callers can’t comprehend to adjust their offense and go under center in certain situations that it is needed.

Last edited:
It shouldn’t matter. I don’t care if it’s the water boy—you don’t run a shotgun play on 4th and inches. I guess I am not a football guy for thinking that should be common sense? Do coaches not practice all players for 4th and short? I guess all plays must be ran from shotgun now—at all costs! It is what drives me nuts about spread offenses. When they are constricted and it it makes more sense to do a traditional pro jumbo package, these so called “offensive genius” play callers can’t comprehend to adjust their offense and go under center in certain situations that it is needed.

Like JG did against Bama?

People around me at the game were saying the same thing. “Worst play call in that situation”

Like JG did against Bama?
🤦‍♂️
Yes—that was not a bad play call. Hand off to Crouch off tackle I think. But we know how that ended. JG tried to play hero and fumbled in the end zone. I don’t know what you’re trying to say other than use an example where we failed miserably on a 4th and short. It’s a terrible example to validate any point you’re trying to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud Army Wife

Good points BUT I was a HS center 50 years ago and believe it or not the center snap is not routine , different qbs and centers have different routines as does the QB handing off to a RB. 2nd string center, 2nd string qb and 3rd string rb is a difficult situation. In hindsight obviously it would have probably been better. But as a mediocre HS center a half century ago I ain't questioning a Heisman QB runner-up.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and TC 83
Good points BUT I was a HS center 50 years ago and believe it or not the center snap is not routine , different qbs and centers have different routines as does the QB handing off to a RB. 2nd string center, 2nd string qb and 3rd string rb is a difficult situation. In hindsight obviously it would have probably been better. But as a mediocre HS center a half century ago I ain't questioning a Heisman QB runner-up.
Yes I agree—but as an old school football player like yourself—you gotta see why most fans were questioning the call. Every coach calls some stinkers. I just hope he’s smart enough to learn from mistakes unlike previous staffs at UT in the last decade.

🤦‍♂️
Yes—that was not a bad play call. Hand off to Crouch off tackle I think. But we know how that ended. JG tried to play hero and fumbled in the end zone. I don’t know what you’re trying to say other than use an example where we failed miserably on a 4th and short. It’s a terrible example to validate any point you’re trying to make.
My point being there are several attempted sneaks each year that fail. There are several snaps from the gun each year that succeed. Vice versa to both. If Hooker keeps it we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Reactions: TC 83

VN Store

Back