Change my mind - Sam Pittman

Took over an Arkansas team that went without a win in the SEC for 2 years. Morris recruited outside of the Top 15 each year

Pittman took those same recruits that hadn't won an SEC game and went 3-7 with wins against UT, MSST, and Ole Miss

He is now 2-0 in year 2 with a win over a top 25 team

Lack of talent isnt always an excuse. Most times its lack of coaching ability and getting the most out of your players

Heupel will need to either learn this or out recruit his ability as a coach. Talent often hides imperfections in coaching

Took over an Arkansas team that went without a win in the SEC for 2 years. Morris recruited outside of the Top 15 each year

Pittman took those same recruits that hadn't won an SEC game and went 3-7 with wins against UT, MSST, and Ole Miss

Lack of talent isnt always an excuse. Most times its lack of coaching ability and getting the most out of your players

Heupel will need to either learn this or out recruit his ability as a coach. Talent often hides imperfections in coaching

Pruitt didn't leave Heupel a 'microwave and serve' roster like Frost did at UCF. He's going to have to develop more than just a QB at UT, or his tenure will not last long.

AK looked solid top to bottom this week. Rushing, line play both sides of the ball, and the passing game.

Glad they're not on our schedule this year.

Reactions: saxvol
CJH will get 3 years at least he is doing ok accept his QB pick and a few calls here and their but he is learning the players at UT so hopefully he gets it sooner than later . Pittman is showing to be a good hire for Arkansas so far . He has always been a good position coach in the SEC and players like him.

Reactions: VolRage
No way to fairly judge Heupel yet. 71 scholarship players. 30 transfers. Something like 15 or 16 new starters. Not enough time to build depth, discipline, etc.

No, Heupel can still be judged, just within context. We didn't lose today because of 30 transfers and only 71 scholarship players. We lost today because Heupel started the wrong QB, the team played extremely undisciplined in the first half, and Heupel made some questionable play calls at key moments in the game.

No, Heupel can still be judged, just within context. We didn't lose today because of 30 transfers and only 71 scholarship players. We lost today because Heupel started the wrong QB, the team played extremely undisciplined in the first half, and Heupel made some questionable play calls at key moments in the game.
He also made several some hella good calls. Do we win with more depth at OL, LB, RB despite the lack of discipline and poor performance from Milton? Impossible to say, but maybe. No excuse for the penalties tho. My goodness

Reactions: TNbuc2 and UTvols#1
Several years. In-game decisions is what I’m talking about.
And you think TODAY was the “worst”? When Arkansas happened last year? Georgia State and BYU? Vandy and Mizzou in Pruitt’s first? Florida EVERY season since the Fulmer years? I think you have Recentitis Exaggeracio.

Reactions: lukeneyland
And you think TODAY was the “worst”? When Arkansas happened last year? Georgia State and BYU? Vandy and Mizzou in Pruitt’s first? Florida EVERY season since the Fulmer years? I think you have Recentitis Exaggeracio.
I’m not talking game preparation beforehand and having players ready to play. I’m specifically talking in-game decisions.

Watch what happens when Kendall Briles gets a HC job. That will go downhill fast

I’m not talking game preparation beforehand and having players ready to play. I’m specifically talking in-game decisions.
So am I. When Pruitt overrode Chaney and had Guarantano throw a pass they had never practiced against Auburn? That turned a lead in scoring position for another into a pick six and an eventual loss? That rates less? Butch shelving John Kelly on the goal line and passing 4 straight times against Florida? Hell…Kiffin running the same inside rush 4 straight times against UCLA? How long you been awake, Rip?

So am I. When Pruitt overrode Chaney and had Guarantano throw a pass they had never practiced against Auburn? That turned a lead in scoring position for another into a pick six and an eventual loss? That rates less? Butch shelving John Kelly on the goal line and passing 4 straight times against Florida? Hell…Kiffin running the same inside rush 4 straight times against UCLA? How long you been awake, Rip?
Well it looks like we have different opinions again.
🤷‍♂️

Sam Pittman has done a good job so far, and I'm happy the Arkansas fans are finally having something to cheer about after going through some really rough years. But can we just be happy for them without complaining and being jealous?

But if you want to. I'd take our situation all day. When looking at the bigger picture. Arkansas is still located in Arkansas and they currently play in the SEC West. Their ceiling is only so high. They won't ever get a top recruiting class and they don't have the resources to ever beat out Texas A&M, Bama, and LSU. This will be a day for their fans to remember, but they can only go so far.

Meanwhile, Huepel is in his 2nd game. He has an explosive offense and we look competitive despite losing 30 players from last season. Tennessee has the resources. Tennessee has the history. Georgia and Florida are hotbeds of recruiting talent and Nashville has been producing more and more talent for the state. Tennessee is a better state than Arkansas and Knoxville is a wonderful city. Huepel will have more to work with at his peak than Pittman will at his peak. Huepel did well with 2-3 star talent at UCF. I'm sure he can do more with the better talent he can get at UT.

VN Store

Back