'21 Recruiting Forum: Official Pittsburgh Pregame/Game Thread

We’re a team in year 0,

Ha. We never learn. Excuses mocked by the fans a decade ago are recycled by the fans themselves now. Smh

Any coach that needs multiple years to not break penalty yardage records is not the guy.

One game is not the entire season. That's all there is to say about this one. If the team we fielded today really is who the team is after a Spring and Fall camp, Heupel will fail here. Even with the 25 year lifetime contract some of y'all want to give him in the name of stability.

At this point, if Heupel is even remotely competent at running the program in years 1-3 and can show Mark Stoops-like progress in terms of keeping things together and not getting us obliterated by NCAA sanctions like his predecessor, then he needs to keep the job for 7 years minimum. I said the same thing about Pruitt, but unfortunately he turned out to be quite possibly the worst coach we've ever had.

Ha. We never learn. Excuses mocked by the fans a decade ago are recycled by the fans themselves now. Smh

Any coach that needs multiple years to not break penalty yardage records is not the guy.

One game is not the entire season. That's all there is to say about this one. If the team we fielded today really is who the team is after a Spring and Fall camp, Heupel will fail here. Even with the 25 year lifetime contract some of y'all want to give him in the name of stability.

I don’t know. We weren’t in the same type of hole a decade ago that we are now. What was rightfully laughed at a decade ago is a little more apt now because, well, we’re way worse off!

We knew coming in lots of false starts were kinda part of the deal with tempo offense. We had 5 for 45 against BG. Just not super worried about one games’ penalties bc it seems like it’s gonna be all over the map. We still only lost by one score!

I don’t think we need to give anyone a crazy contract just for the sake of stability, but acknowledging the reality of the situation we’re in right now and holding that up against what was clearly a more determined effort than we’ve seen in a while and feeling a little optimism isn’t the weirdest thing.

So, uh, go vols.

For all the coach hiring experts, how many would have hired Sam Pittman?
I would have, but only because I think he has a high floor. He can get a program to consistently 8 wins I think, but that's his ceiling. I'd kill for that ceiling though. After 4 8 win seasons or so it's a lot easier to attract a higher end ceiling coach.

Plus OL is arguably the most important unit, and he's as good as it gets with that group.

Reactions: volfanCLT
The WR's were open, if I've said it once I've said it a hundred times,don't care if a QB can run for more than an occasional first down, the QB must be able to complete passes. The RB's are there to, you know run the damn ball, if the QB is good I damn sure don't want him out for the season cause he ran the ball for twenty yards. Don't care what other teams are doing and don't ever want a coach scheming QB runs, I just want a QB that can hit an open WR all day long if he can do that there will be several holes for the RB's to hit. Find it hard to believe anybody would want to chance losing a quality QB on a ten yard QB delay but to each their own guess I'm just blind to the attraction of that after all we ALWAYS have at least two quality QB's on the roster to keep defenses honest right?

Since we are playing coach from the couch, I will join in. For me, several things come to mind and the first (positive) thing for me was the team never quit. They kept fighting and had a chance to tie it late in the game. This is in spite of having atrocious mental mistakes and penalties, missing wide open receivers, several starters not able to play, and only 71 scholarship players. Under the same scenario the last several years, this team would have folded like a cheap suit. This is game 2 for this coaching staff and players, and I saw improvement from game 1, which I'm not sure we ever had the last few years. A lot of the issues we saw can be corrected with good coaching and we will see in due time if we have that. With that said, I do think we lost the game in the 1st qtr when Pitt was on their heals and we had receivers running wide open and didn't capitalize. The game plan was there but the execution was not. That has to be corrected before we get into SEC play. For me, I am willing to give this staff a little more time to watch game film and get the correct players on the field that can execute. Yes, this loss sucks but we have to learn from the mistakes (coaches and players) and move on. We keep progressing, we will win a game that no one expects us too.

Just my 2 cents

Go Vols!!

Since we are playing coach from the couch, I will join in. For me, several things come to mind and the first (positive) thing for me was the team never quit. They kept fighting and had a chance to tie it late in the game. This is in spite of having atrocious mental mistakes and penalties, missing wide open receivers, several starters not able to play, and only 71 scholarship players. Under the same scenario the last several years, this team would have folded like a cheap suit. This is game 2 for this coaching staff and players, and I saw improvement from game 1, which I'm not sure we ever had the last few years. A lot of the issues we saw can be corrected with good coaching and we will see in due time if we have that. With that said, I do think we lost the game in the 1st qtr when Pitt was on their heals and we had receivers running wide open and didn't capitalize. The game plan was there but the execution was not. That has to be corrected before we get into SEC play. For me, I am willing to give this staff a little more time to watch game film and get the correct players on the field that can execute. Yes, this loss sucks but we have to learn from the mistakes (coaches and players) and move on. We keep progressing, we will win a game that no one expects us too.

Just my 2 cents

Go Vols!!
Maybe we’ll eek one out vs Mizzou

Reactions: ALStateLineVol
We will continue to struggle in every game that Milton plays in. Great athlete, terrible qb. He should be a discus thrower or something, not a qb. I wish he was, but he is not. Being a qb requires completing passes consistently, not just a freak accident good throw twice per game for 15 yards on top of missing almost every other open pass that most any qb in college football hits easily. Who cares if you're big and can run a little if you cannot complete passes? Kentucky played a wr at qb a couple years ago who can throw more accurately than Milton. The writing is on the wall. This is a Guarantano moment. Will the coaches open their eyes and cut bait now or double down on a losing venture? We're about to find out. I expect they'll keep starting him.

VN Store

Back