If someone had told me.....

bigl3327

That we could go into a game without Cooper Mays and Tiyon Evans, then lose Jaylin Hyatt in the 1st quarter, then give up 27 points in the 2nd quarter, then have Jabari Small and Joe Milton knocked out in the first half, have 150 yards in penalties and lose the turnover battle 3-0, have a touchdown called back on special teams, but still have a chance late in the 4th and only lose by 7.... I would have said they were crazy. And yet, that is what happened today. We didn't deserve to win because we beat ourselves in too many facets of the game, BUT they showed fight under immense adversity and that's something to build on going forward. I hate losing, but hopefully this game helps them win 2-3 other toss-up type match ups this season.

Last edited:
That we could go into a game without Cooper Mays and Tiyon Evans, then lose Jaylin Hyatt in the 1st quarter, then give up 27 points in the 2nd quarter, then have Jabari Small and Joe Milton knocked out in the first half, have 150 yards in penalties and lose the turnover battle 3-0, have a touchdown called back on special teams, but still have a chance late in the 4th and only lose by 7.... I would have said they were crazy. And yet, that is what happened today. We didn't deserve to win because we beat ourselves in too many facets of the game, BUT they showed fight under immense adversity and that's something to build on going forward. I hate losing, but hopefully this game helps them win 2-3 other toss-up type match ups this season.
Great post. You watched the same game I did.

Yes. Shout it louder

Before the season, many people (including me) said the Pitt game was the most important early game. And it was.

But not because it was a loss -- because it showed the defense had improved, it showed that the offense was beginning to catch on to Heupel's offense, and because the team did NOT quit, even after early adversity.

Significant injuries, a replacement quarterback -- and still the team came within one TD of tying the game.

Others may be discouraged; frankly, I am encouraged. Not a "moral victory" -- but definitely makes me feel better about the team going forward.

So you’re saying Pitt really sucks?

Moral victory in some factors today for sure, but we have to improve to get some actual solid victories this year. Keep coaching, keep em getting better and players have to execute. Let’s go Vols!

There, I fixed your comments.... I agree now!

Before the season, many people (including me) said the Pitt game was the most important early game. And it was.

But not because it was a loss -- because it showed the defense had improved, it showed that the offense was beginning to catch on to Heupel's offense, and because the team did NOT quit, even after early adversity.

Significant injuries, a replacement quarterback -- and still the team came within one TD of tying the game.

Others may be discouraged; frankly, I am encouraged. Not a "moral victory" -- but definitely makes me feel better about the team going forward.
This is precisely correct. It was an important test......but not just about win or loss. This team displayed courage and grit and showed some results of coaching today that gave me hope. The defense absolutely played well enough to post a win. Not at all happy about loss, but I told my brother that if this was still a game under 5 min to play we had accomplished much. Pitt will contend for Coastal Div this year. Mark it.

I agree with what you said, but Milton getting injured is one of the reasons we actually had a chance to win this game.

VN Store

Back