Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

That's exactly how she schedules and she definitely isn't the only one, Brenda also does the same thing
Kim Mulkey probably inherited this schedule. The LSU team this year was not supposed to be nearly as strong as it is going to be. Their squad has 8 senior and/or 5th-year seniors and they have added some decent talent to go with those players. I am sure Nikki Fargus didn't expect to have this level of talent back when considering this schedule a couple of years ago. Heck, they haven't had this level of talent in Baton Rouge in years. They are going to have both good guard and post play and this team will be very tough defensively.

Kim Mulkey probably inherited this schedule. The LSU team this year was not supposed to be nearly as strong as it is going to be. Their squad has 8 senior and/or 5th-year seniors and they have added some decent talent to go with those players. I am sure Nikki Fargus didn't expect to have this level of talent back when considering this schedule a couple of years ago. Heck, they haven't had this level of talent in Baton Rouge in years. They are going to have both good guard and post play and this team will be very tough defensively.
With Covid a lot of the schedules, contracts with schools were thrown out the window

As always, she wont play anyone outside the conference because our conference schedule is tough, her toughest games will always be the Big 12/SEC challenge and any tournaments she might enter unfortunately, at least until she gets Griner, Simms, DiDi, & Nylassa Smith type of players

Well, she'll never get those stars again 🙄 😒

View attachment 393224Wow Kentucky non conference at least louisville and Indiana.

West Virginia will be pretty tough again this season barring injury. Really all they lost from last season was Gondrezick and they have a couple players that can fill her role.

Pretty weak schedule over all though. I think Kentucky will finish worse this season than they did last year. Losing McKinney and Wyatt really hurt them. McKinney was a good stretch player and often opened things up for Howard.

UK has no true PG this season with Patterson gone. I’m guessing Benton will fill that role mostly but she’s not a natural point guard for sure. Who do you think will run the point for them?

I think Howard will be easier to defend this season because she doesn’t have McKinney and Patterson to draw attention. The rest of their returners did not impress me much last season. Edwards in particular seemed like she would be much better than she ended up.

Last edited:

Shocked to see Indiana and Baylor on there. I don’t think Indiana will be any better this season than they were last. They lost some depth at the guard spot as well. They will need a lot from Berger and Holmes every night to finish the same as last season.

I really think Baylor is going to have a tough season. Not sold on the Coach they hired and I don’t think she realizes how much the teams in the Big 12 are ready to stomp Baylor. She’s no Mulkey and the players she has aren’t the same kind of players we are used to there. Smith will be playing a different role I almost guarantee it, likely less successful than last season.

A lot of the Big 12 teams are returning good squads. Texas, Tech, Iowa St, WV and a couple others are going to be pretty tough. I’m picking Baylor 5th in the Big 12 right now. Definitely not 10th in the nation

Last edited:
Shocked to see Indiana and Baylor on there. I don’t think Indiana will be any better this season than they were last. They lost some depth at the guard spot as well. They will need a lot from Gerber and Holmes every night to finish the same as last season.

I really think Baylor is going to have an tough season. Not sold on the Coach they hired and I don’t think she realizes how much the teams in the Big 12 are ready to stomp Baylor. She’s no Mulkey and the players she has aren’t the same kind of players were used to there. Smith will be playing a different role I almost guarantee it, likely less successful than last season.

A lot of the Big 12 teams are returning good squads. Texas, Tech, Iowa St, WV and a couple others are going to be pretty tough. I’m picking Baylor 5th in the Big 12 right now. Definitely not 10th in the nation

Well said: I think we need to keep an eye on Baylor this season right now they only have 9 players it looks like will add maybe 2-3 walk on ? i`m thinking. But when you look at there roster now they do have some very talented players. Smith, Lewis, Egbo, And transfer Mcdaniel she can fill it up, As for Indiana they bring a lot of players back.

Reactions: VolBall09
Well said: I think we need to keep an eye on Baylor this season right now they only have 9 players it looks like will add maybe 2-3 walk on ? i`m thinking. But when you look at there roster now they do have some very talented players. Smith, Lewis, Egbo, And transfer Mcdaniel she can fill it up, As for Indiana they bring a lot of players back.

Thanks man, I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on Baylor. What I really meant is just that we’re going to see a very different style of play there this season. Kim played big girl ball and Collen is more perimeter oriented.

The players she’s brought in are so they can shoot the 3. Kim’s teams averaged literally the fewest 3s in the NCAA.

Have a feeling the abrupt shift in style of play is going to have a negative impact on their season. Smith will likely be playing more of a Rennia Davis type roll. I’m betting she tries to use her more outside in. Egbo is going to end up getting lost in the shuffle after having been a focal point of the offense. Not going to be running things through the post like Mulkey.

On the flip I’m betting money LSU looks pretty dang close to her recent Baylor teams. So much of what Baylor did that made them good came directly from Kim. And the system she runs is pretty simple: don’t turn it over, don’t shoot 3s and get the ball to the big girl.

If you really watch her during the games she’s a lot like Gary Blair. She’s directing traffic almost the entire game. Her PG has to be tuned into her because she instructs the action on about every play unless they are running in transition. Even then I see her call the pass haha.

Moon leaving was surprising but I suspect it was because she couldn’t beat out Pointer and was disappointed she transferred and wasn’t automatically the Pg (100% speculation so if anyone knows better, correct me BAM). Pointer is a straight baller and will thrive under Mulkey. She’s Kim’s ideal guard. With Morris they are set at the guard spot. Brought the big girl along….watch out.

VN Store

Back