Tennessee Lady Vol News

I just think they aren't listing TK's actual height, the updated roster has her listed at 6'6" but I honestly think she is closer to 6'8" than 6'6"!

I know they often list a player an inch or two taller than they are but I've often question with the two of them standing side by side, it is no way they both were 6'5"! I think we will know the truth once she reaches the wnba, that is when they normally list their actually heights.

For example: Ariel Atkins while playing at Texas was listed at 5'11" all 4 years and now that she is in the WNBA she is currently being listed as 5'8"!

I also think it is about the height the players are comfortable being listed at for position purposes. I've seen where a player who is 6'4"/6'5" asked to be listed at 6'2" because they didn't want to have to play the 5 position.
If Tamari is interested in playing in the W (I assume she is), she will probably be drafted higher as a 6'8" player that a 6'6". It would behoove her to put her max height in game shoes and garner more interest. I have never heard of a player wanting to be listed shorter than actual.

I just think they aren't listing TK's actual height, the updated roster has her listed at 6'6" but I honestly think she is closer to 6'8" than 6'6"!

I know they often list a player an inch or two taller than they are but I've often question with the two of them standing side by side, it is no way they both were 6'5"! I think we will know the truth once she reaches the wnba, that is when they normally list their actually heights.

For example: Ariel Atkins while playing at Texas was listed at 5'11" all 4 years and now that she is in the WNBA she is currently being listed as 5'8"!

I also think it is about the height the players are comfortable being listed at for position purposes. I've seen where a player who is 6'4"/6'5" asked to be listed at 6'2" because they didn't want to have to play the 5 position.

What are u talking about. Before season starts team will do physical with medical doctor. During that physical doctor and the medical team check each players for everything; height, weight, blood type etc. After that the doctor submit reports to school athletic showing that each player has been clear from medical to play. Ppl here can talk wat they don't kn and never even played college ball. I was recruited from Europe, I played division 1.... sometimes medical may not check height and weight rather they ask u. That's when players could say whatever. But players can never asked to put in 6'2 when they're 6'5 because they don't want to play other positions.

What are u talking about. Before season starts team will do physical with medical doctor. During that physical doctor and the medical team check each players for everything; height, weight, blood type etc. After that the doctor submit reports to school athletic showing that each player has been clear from medical to play. Ppl here can talk wat they don't kn and never even played college ball. I was recruited from Europe, I played division 1.... sometimes medical may not check height and weight rather they ask u. That's when players could say whatever. But players can never asked to put in 6'2 when they're 6'5 because they don't want to play other positions.

You said all that and gave all your credentials for what? Just like a player can be listed at 6'1" and actually be 5'10", a player can also be asked to be listed the other way around prior to reaching the professional ranks (which was changed a few years ago)

Here's an excerpt from an article that talks about how Kevin Garnett didn't like being listed at his actual height because he didn't want to be listed as a Center:

"Barkley is far from the first or last NBA player to have his height exaggerated, and it even goes the other way. Kevin Garnett, who is still listed at 6-11 on NBA.com, was referred to as "6-foot-13" by his late former Timberwolves head coach Flip Saunders, a nod to the archaic stigma of 7-footers being listed as centers and placed in the post rather than on the perimeter. Another Kevin -- Durant -- is listed as 6-9 but has admitted that he's actually closer to the 7-foot mark."

Link To Verify Excerpt

Sometimes I think you read to respond instead of reading to comprehend. Maybe if you did that you would learn a little instead of always thinking what you say or what you feel you have accomplished in life is the only way things are done! You aren't the only person who has played organized basketball at the D1 level nor are you the only one who was recruited, some people just don't flex what they've done or accomplished like others!

You also stated sometimes they don't check and they will just ask you, and you proved my point so if a player is not asked and they are 6'5" but don't want to be pigeon holed into a position, it is very easy for them to say 6'2" or 6'3" if the doctor isn't going to check to verify.

If Tamari is interested in playing in the W (I assume she is), she will probably be drafted higher as a 6'8" player that a 6'6". It would behoove her to put her max height in game shoes and garner more interest. I have never heard of a player wanting to be listed shorter than actual.
I totally agree with you that it would be better for her to list her actual height (or her height with shoes) and although you haven't heard it, it definitely happens, not as often on the men side but it is definitely done on the women side (until many begin to embrace it, because the stigma that some of them face being Tall women)

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
You said all that and gave all your credentials for what? Just like a player can be listed at 6'1" and actually be 5'10", a player can also be asked to be listed the other way around prior to reaching the professional ranks (which was changed a few years ago)

Here's an excerpt from an article that talks about how Kevin Garnett didn't like being listed at his actual height because he didn't want to be listed as a Center:

"Barkley is far from the first or last NBA player to have his height exaggerated, and it even goes the other way. Kevin Garnett, who is still listed at 6-11 on NBA.com, was referred to as "6-foot-13" by his late former Timberwolves head coach Flip Saunders, a nod to the archaic stigma of 7-footers being listed as centers and placed in the post rather than on the perimeter. Another Kevin -- Durant -- is listed as 6-9 but has admitted that he's actually closer to the 7-foot mark."

Link To Verify Excerpt

Sometimes I think you read to respond instead of reading to comprehend. Maybe if you did that you would learn a little instead of always thinking what you say or what you feel you have accomplished in life is the only way things are done! You aren't the only person who has played organized basketball at the D1 level nor are you the only one who was recruited, some people just don't flex what they've done or accomplished like others!

You also stated sometimes they don't check and they will just ask you, and you proved my point so if a player is not asked and they are 6'5" but don't want to be pigeon holed into a position, it is very easy for them to say 6'2" or 6'3" if the doctor isn't going to check to verify.

You rite.. u 🏆

Reactions: mlindsay
You rite.. u 🏆
If that is your argument how was Ariel Atkins listed at 5'11" in college but 5'8" in the WNBA? How was Ariel Powers listed as tall as 6'0" at Michigan State but is listed as 5'9" when she played for the Mystics and now 5'11" with Minnesota. On IG Live she stated she was 5'9 and 1/2 but prefers to be listed at 5'11/6'0" so that she can play on the wing and not in the backcourt. And those are just a few players.

We are definitely supporting the same team, but I've seen over the years when it comes to a difference of opinions on here, you seem to think your viewpoint is the only one that matters or maybe that is how you word it.

I am 6'4" as well and depending on the shoes I put on I could be 6'5" or 6'6" and I know which shoes to wear to give me the height I want when I hoop!

If that is your argument how was Ariel Atkins listed at 5'11" in college but 5'8" in the WNBA? How was Ariel Powers listed as tall as 6'0" at Michigan State but is listed as 5'9" when she played for the Mystics and now 5'11" with Minnesota. On IG Live she stated she was 5'9 and 1/2 but prefers to be listed at 5'11/6'0" so that she can play on the wing and not in the backcourt. And those are just a few players.

We are definitely supporting the same team, but I've seen over the years when it comes to a difference of opinions on here, you seem to think your viewpoint is the only one that matters or maybe that is how you word it.

I am 6'4" as well and depending on the shoes I put on I could be 6'5" or 6'6" and I know which shoes to wear to give me the height I want when I hoop!

I showed a picture of me standing next to one of our players,,,all this time I thought I was 6'1" ,,, Maybe I will grow to 6'4" next year

E-1M3R7WUAMGHF2
😍🥰

Going to be an interesting month as basketball practice starts getting ready for the season. Getting to know who has elevated their games is always fun. Right now I still have Key, Dye, Burrell. Horston, and Walker as my starting five with three freshmen Marta and Green playing key roles off the bench. Of course it could be totally different always hoping someone has really elevated their game from bench player to elite starter. Were getting there soon.

I think the someone like Darby and how she develops this year will speak to overall how the team has improved. She wasn’t bad in any minutes and had bright moments. How can those moments translate into consistent solid play this year and then next year into something more. I’m excited to see what she looks like this coming season.

I expect elite play from Burrell, Horston, and Key. I expect Walker and Dye will have VERY good season. Marta will be much improved from last season. The freshmen will have their opportunities to push not only our team in minutes but will go a long way in establishing our position as a top program in the eyes of players at other schools(trickling down to recruits) because of the elevation of our level of play at the bench/role player level and how that elevates the level of play for starters/leaders on the team.

I think the someone like Darby and how she develops this year will speak to overall how the team has improved. She wasn’t bad in any minutes and had bright moments. How can those moments translate into consistent solid play this year and then next year into something more. I’m excited to see what she looks like this coming season.

I expect elite play from Burrell, Horston, and Key. I expect Walker and Dye will have VERY good season. Marta will be much improved from last season. The freshmen will have their opportunities to push not only our team in minutes but will go a long way in establishing our position as a top program in the eyes of players at other schools(trickling down to recruits) because of the elevation of our level of play at the bench/role player level and how that elevates the level of play for starters/leaders on the team.
Exactly what I am most interested in is returning player development. That is how your team gets better when the returning players are better players than they were the year before.

I also expect a breakout season from Horston and Key and an elite year from Burrell. I look for a FOY-type season from Striplin and Wynn as well as a solid season from Dye, Suarez, and Walker. Overall, this year's team is going to be special, with everyone contributing.

Didn’t see a thread for 2026, so this is Amari Byles, 6’2 wing out of the Dallas area in 8th grade. Not sure if there’s some kind of connection to Tennessee, but her dad is wearing Tennessee gear in his profile pic. She’s a very skilled 8th grader

you are onto something her dad also liked Coach Sam's tweet about the mystery visitors maybe she has an unofficial this weekend

VN Store

Back