Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hurd would have been a nice back in the 80's playing for Vince Dooley or Pat Dye. He wasn't a good fit as a RB for the modern game and I think he realized that himself, which is why he made himself into a WR.
IMO Bad take here, going into his Junior year he was rated as a 1st round pick by a few different outlets because of his size, speed, and his ability to break tackles. He wanted to make the change because he supposedly was playing banged up a lot, and that was on Butch, the medical staff, and his S&C staff

I’ll be honest, I won’t be having fun if we’re 5-7 or 6-6, even if they’re all close losses.
I think I should have worded the OP better. I think the term some have used is "fun to watch" or entertaining. I typically take this as high scoring. That's why I thought of 2012. That team lost some close, but high scoring games. They were entertaining, at least.

Reactions: engineerVOL
That's just volume though. Not efficient production. Would you think it would have been a smart thing to keep pounding Hurd at 3.7 YPC if it means he makes it to x number of career yards? Of course not. Running him that much wasn't a positive.

Other options were all better:
Dobbs (better runner)
Kamara (much better runner)
Dobbs passing (much more efficient)

It's like saying JG was better than Shuler because he has more yards. It's an asinine argument just looking at volume stats blindly.
Being able to log that many carries is part of the resume. The opposing defense focusing on Hurd allowed Dobbs to break off a lot of explosive plays. If they could have afforded a spy, maybe we have less highlights. And soon as Kamara was extensively used against A&M, he got hurt and was unavailable against SC. Take one away and the rest suffers.

I remain convinced that DeBord wanted to implement a full season stretch of that small sample gameplan against Northwestern in the bowl game. Offset I mixed in with the spread. You could have fully utilized any of Hurd, Kamara or Kelly and prevented the defense from teeing off on Hurd with his slower initial burst. Butch reneged and we got maybe two plays out of it in 2016. Butch ended up losing both Hurd and DeBord and ultimately the team.

I agree with all of this, after watching the offense vs. Northwestern, I was really excited to see that style of play the following year. Alas, the HC couldn't get out of his own way, and subsequent implosion was the result.

IMO Bad take here, going into his Junior year he was rated as a 1st round pick by a few different outlets because of his size, speed, and his ability to break tackles. He wanted to make the change because he supposedly was playing banged up a lot, and that was on Butch, the medical staff, and his S&C staff

We went toe to toe with Alabama this year on the road. Shame how far we've come.

Free student guest tickets for a season opener isn’t exactly “great news” when it comes to taking the temperature of where the interest level is for this program

hats off to DW for being willing to find anyway to get butts in the seats. Smart move

The AD being proactive towards rebuilding this brand is absolutely 'Great news'!

What do people think of Tony B? I'm a big fan but I feel like I remember reading where a lot don't really care for him.

What he does well is use nuance to tell the regular fan what is really going on in the locker room be that culture, talent, recruiting, etc. Because of that he’s not liked by the ultra homers because he doesn’t always paint a rosy picture.

Reactions: nesbuddha66
Free student guest tickets for a season opener isn’t exactly “great news” when it comes to taking the temperature of where the interest level is for this program

hats off to DW for being willing to find anyway to get butts in the seats. Smart move
But to be fair here, i also recognize that you wouldnt accept or realize great news if it hit you btw the eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back