Taliban Taking Over Afghanistan - Does anyone care?

Do you care?

• No

Votes: 40 23.8%
  • Hell No

Votes: 47 28.0%
  • Yes, we should invade and send in Troops

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I like Pie

Votes: 57 33.9%

• Total voters
The Taliban learned PR pretty quickly. Condemn the attack then absolve themselves of any responsibility for preventing it

Taliban say blasts happened in area under US control
A spokesman for the Taliban has condemned the twin blasts in an area they say was under the control of the US military.
"The Islamic Emirate strongly condemns the bombing targeting civilians at Kabul airport," Zabihullah Mujahid said in a tweet.
The spokesman added the explosions "took place in an area where US forces are responsible for security".
Suhail Shaheen, another Taliban spokesman, said the group were "paying close attention to the security and protection of its people" in another tweeted statement.

Reactions: AM64
Sadly it appears that Biden is more concerned with spinning a narrative and worrying about the political fallout than protecting our service members and citizens. Prayers for the Marines that lost their lives today. Thank you for your service!

Reactions: BreatheUT
Even what you described isn't new. Civilians have been targeted and would be no matter when we finally chose to leave. Yes the pullout is a cluster but the handwringing is a bit overplayed imo

In your opinion what happens if the school group from California is taken hostage?

The Taliban learned PR pretty quickly. Condemn the attack then absolve themselves of any responsibility for preventing it

A spokesman for the Taliban has condemned the twin blasts in an area they say was under the control of the US military.
"The Islamic Emirate strongly condemns the bombing targeting civilians at Kabul airport," Zabihullah Mujahid said in a tweet.
The spokesman added the explosions "took place in an area where US forces are responsible for security".
Suhail Shaheen, another Taliban spokesman, said the group were "paying close attention to the security and protection of its people" in another tweeted statement.
If I didn’t know better I’d guess this was almost prepared?

Sadly it appears that Biden is more concerned with spinning a narrative and worrying about the political fallout than protecting our service members and citizens. Prayers for the Marines that lost their lives today. Thank you for your service!

The incompetence is insane.

Reactions: TNVOLNAVY

There's almost no way they had anything to do with it. Not because they are good people, because why would they be involved in something that increases the chances we come back to the country? They want us out, so they can take it over.

This chance has existed for years, but expect the narrative to shift from being how bad it is that we lost and the Taliban took over to "what if ISIS takes the country over?"

Not really understandable to me. If my kids' grandparents were in Afghanistan, oh well, too bad. Not going to see them.
Eh, if I truly put myself in their shoes I can. Knowing after this year the Taliban will be in complete control I could see why they would want their children to see their parents, perhaps one last time. Then the unplanned for capitulation of the Afghan army and the completely counter information coming from this admin out them in a bind they weren't prepared for. It may seem silly to us but I can see how that might play out.

The Taliban failed in their assurance of safety passage. It would justify sending in a large number of troops to secure secure airport and area around it and go and retrieve the Americans and others we think should get out.

But should we?

Tough call. It would arguably just make it worse and drag us back in for another length of time.

There's almost no way they had anything to do with it. Not because they are good people, because why would they be involved in something that increases the chances we come back to the country? They want us out, so they can take it over.

This chance has existed for years, but expect the narrative to shift from being how bad it is that we lost and the Taliban took over to "what if ISIS takes the country over?"
Yes and no. Unofficially they could be for it and then officially be against it when the cameras are on.

"The two congressmen who made a secret, unauthorized trip to Afghanistan to survey the U.S. military's evacuation efforts are unapologetic for their decision, despite criticism from the Biden administration, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), and several of their colleagues in Congress.

"I don't care one bit about anonymous quotes from Washington when I'm saving the lives of our allies," Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) told the Boston Globe in an interview Tuesday, responding to his critics."

Seth Moulton defends surprise Afghan trip: ‘The scoldings mean nothing when we’re saving a few lives’ - The Boston Globe

Yes and no. Unofficially they could be for it and then officially be against it when the cameras are on.
They want us gone though. It would be insane for them, in any way, to be involved in or let something happen on purpose that increases the chances we remain in Afghanistan. It does not serve their interests at all.

Reactions: AM64
The Taliban failed in their assurance of safety passage. It would justify sending in a large number of troops to secure secure airport and area around it and go and retrieve the Americans and others we think should get out.

But should we?

Tough call. It would arguably just make it worse and drag us back in for another length of time.

It is the toughest of calls but on the otherhand we are going to be leaving a large number of our own and those who helped us behind. There's both a moral price to pay and quite likely real longterm damage to our ability to effect any global change.

there are no good options

Reactions: GAVol

But should we?

Should've never allowed $85 billion worth of arms left to Taliban or anyone else. Should've evacuated American citizens before withdrawal. Both of these decisions were made by this administration.

Reactions: AM64 and jp1
The incompetence is insane.
People voted for a man that talked about underage minority kids patting his wet leg hair while at the local swimming pool while campaigning. A man that couldn't string together complete or coherent thoughts while debating. The signs were there yet we put this man in charge. This man promised last week that we would get everyone out safely and that he had a plan and every contingency was planned for. Now he won't answer questions about what the plan is going forward because he has no plan. The majority of Americans don't even think he is really in charge according to recent polls. This is sureal and very very dangerous. When American lacks strong and decisive leadership, the world burns.

Let's see, The Taliban army and ISIS are currently in one centralized area?
We left a lot of American weapons on the ground there. Maybe we could grace them with one more big fatty and send them back to the Prehistoric Period.

We already look absolutely horrible in this situation and the stink is going into the history books at this point.

In my opinion we have two options: we keep leaving the way we are and look absolutely weak on a global scale or we send thousands of troops back in and kill everyone aligned with the Taliban and says we tried to be nice but you wouldn’t let us.

And by kill everyone I mean EVERYONE.

We send stealth bombers at night and take out their major targets and then hit them with holy hell for 7 days straight and get everyone out and then just walk away with country still smoking.

Neither option is good but we are already screwed either way.

People voted for a man that talked about underage minority kids patting his wet leg hair while at the local swimming pool while campaigning. A man that couldn't string together complete or coherent thoughts while debating. The signs were there yet we put this man in charge. This man promised last week that we would get everyone out safely and that he had a plan and every contingency was planned for. Now he won't answer questions about what the plan is going forward because he has no plan. The majority of Americans don't even think he is really in charge according to recent polls. This is sureal and very very dangerous. When American lacks strong and decisive leadership, the world burns.
I mean I get what you are saying but he isn't mean on twitter so we've got that going for us.

It is the toughest of calls but on the otherhand we are going to be leaving a large number of our own and those who helped us behind. There's both a moral price to pay and quite likely real longterm damage to our ability to effect any global change.

there are no good options
It's obvious to me that we need to send troops in and properly withdraw those that need to leave, and if that takes longer than August 31 then the Taliban can kiss our ass. Leaving our allies behind is not an answer and will damage our reputation long term.

Reactions: NEO
"The two congressmen who made a secret, unauthorized trip to Afghanistan to survey the U.S. military's evacuation efforts are unapologetic for their decision, despite criticism from the Biden administration, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), and several of their colleagues in Congress.

"I don't care one bit about anonymous quotes from Washington when I'm saving the lives of our allies," Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) told the Boston Globe in an interview Tuesday, responding to his critics."

Seth Moulton defends surprise Afghan trip: ‘The scoldings mean nothing when we’re saving a few lives’ - The Boston Globe

These congressmen wanted to see for themselves what is going on. I applaud them for their collaboration.

VN Store

Back