(Updated 7/13) 2021 MLB Draft and Roster Management Discussion Thread

Looked this up and it appears the South Bend Cubs (High-A) are one step below the Smokies (AA), very nice! Hopefully, Mr. Spence will be back in East TN soon!
I wonder if an end of the season promotion to the Smokies in time for the September 10 game with the CTV bobblehead giveaway is in the cards.

I wonder if an end of the season promotion to the Smokies in time for the September 10 game with the CTV bobblehead giveaway is in the cards.

Don't bet on it. Most college players take some time to go from High A to AA, even if they are as talented as Spence. A lot of them start out in low A ball, which tells you a lot about Spence's talent and development so far. However, if there's an injury to a shortstop ahead of him in AA, then maybe and end of season call up.

Don't bet on it. Most college players take some time to go from High A to AA, even if they are as talented as Spence. A lot of them start out in low A ball, which tells you a lot about Spence's talent and development so far. However, if there's an injury to a shortstop ahead of him in AA, then maybe and end of season call up.
I realize that. Wishful thinking. Considering of the Smokies are anchoring their division, who knows?

Spence has been at 2nd base last couple of games for south bend...

That says they are wondering if his arm is strong enough for what they want in a shortstop. It would benefit any team to have a second baseman with a shortstop arm, even if that arm isn't as much as they want at short. It might also say that they have shortstops in their development who have stronger arms, and they're experimenting with him to see if he could be a major league second baseman. Might be a quicker route to the bigs for Liam.

That says they are wondering if his arm is strong enough for what they want in a shortstop. It would benefit any team to have a second baseman with a shortstop arm, even if that arm isn't as much as they want at short. It might also say that they have shortstops in their development who have stronger arms, and they're experimenting with him to see if he could be a major league second baseman. Might be a quicker route to the bigs for Liam.

If he were to stay with the Cubs, being able to play 2B/SS would give him some nice versatility as a utility guy off the bench. Unfortunately, I think Hoerner and Madrigal have him blocked for quite a while at either position.

If he were to stay with the Cubs, being able to play 2B/SS would give him some nice versatility as a utility guy off the bench. Unfortunately, I think Hoerner and Madrigal have him blocked for quite a while at either position.

On the other hand (there's always another hand in MLB) if he looks like he can play at a winning level, and would be under team control for years, and a long time not arbitration eligible, they might trade those guys away to unload payroll.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Report on Connor Pavalony from the Orioles farm system. Connor is now at low A Delmarva, Maryland:

Down in the Minors, several interesting developments occurred on Tuesday. At Low-A Delmarva, the Shorebirds comprised a lineup entirely of 2021 Draft picks and 2020 fourth-rounder Coby Mayo, including ‘21 first-round pick Colton Cowser in his affiliated ball debut. The result was a 10-1 rout of Fredericksburg where every Shorebirds starter either collected at least one hit or drove in at least one run, highlighted by Connor Pavalony’s two-hit, four-RBI night.

Report on Connor Pavalony from the Orioles farm system. Connor is now at low A Delmarva, Maryland:

Down in the Minors, several interesting developments occurred on Tuesday. At Low-A Delmarva, the Shorebirds comprised a lineup entirely of 2021 Draft picks and 2020 fourth-rounder Coby Mayo, including ‘21 first-round pick Colton Cowser in his affiliated ball debut. The result was a 10-1 rout of Fredericksburg where every Shorebirds starter either collected at least one hit or drove in at least one run, highlighted by Connor Pavalony’s two-hit, four-RBI night.

Connor hit a 2 run double and a 2 run homer, and was 2 for 3, according to the box score on the Shorebirds web site. He caught the game. First game after call-up from the Florida instructional league. His OPS is 2.75!!

Go get 'em Pav!

I can’t find it online yet, but I did get this email about players appearing at Friday’s Smokies game, same night as CTV bobblehead promotion. 03A11498-AFA7-40D7-9495-A67B338235F9.jpeg

If he keeps that up, he'll start out in their low A affiliate next spring.
Agreed. The Rays farm system is very strong and known for pitcher development. I think he will do great there. In fact, when I looked last week the Rays affiliates were in first place in every division by far from rookie ball through AAA. That’s impressive.

VN Store

Back