Pitt - Sept. 11, 2021 - a likely gauge for Vols ability to adapt to new systems

We thought we were going to be undefeated in 2019 going into the Florida game too, but Georgia State and BYU had other plans. We can’t overlook anyone.

Maaannnn after that Ga St game, I have learned to never look past anybody!! That was a tough lesson!

Our offense hasn't scored a point yet. Just because this coach has a high scoring offense doesn't mean this team will be able to do that. You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

It’s just those orange tinted shades everyone wears during the dog days of summer!

I'm convinced that the fans who post with the most optimism about the upcoming season don't really believe what they write.

That's why it's in August that they're so intent on enjoying the season they predict...
before it actually begins.
He’s a troll. He picks us to beat Bama and UGA every year, no matter the circumstances. Like last year, when we were coming off a 27-point loss to mighty Kentucky, it didn’t matter. Tennessee was going to beat Bama.

Pittsburgh and South Carolina are the two toss-up games we must win to make a bowl. I see us winning the other 3 OOC games and Vanderbilt.

Missouri and Kentucky will be slightly favored against us but we have a shot at them. If we can also get the monkey off our back, Florida is pretty vulnerable this year. From what I am reading, Florida may not be very good.
they are somehow always good enough to beat us. but I do hope we reverse the trend this year.
'

Any of Heupel UCF teams would beat this Pitt team. And this Tennessee team is more talented than any of those UCF teams.

I don't give a damn about a spread predetermined from what we were last season.
Pitt doesnt have the offense to dominate the clock. Nor does their defense have the ability to slow down our offense.

51-17 UT

Lol. I highly doubt we approach 50 points on anyone this season. I realize we have an offensive minded HC but this thought that we are going to be like almost 3 TDs better than last years offense is wishful thinking.

I think we beat Pitt. Blow them out? Hardly. I could see it being like a 38-31 game.

I'm convinced that the fans who post with the most optimism about the upcoming season don't really believe what they write.

That's why it's in August that they're so intent on enjoying the season they predict...
before it actually begins.

They just live in a fantasy world. They believe every high school or transfer player who signs with Tennessee is the next coming of the greatest Tennessee players ever, or perhaps even their favorite all time NFL greats with a bronze bust in Canton. They are stricken with DumbAssitis.

The Pitt game is a huge game win and I think we can go 6-6 or even 7-5 but a loss and 5-7 or even 4-8 is very likely. The two biggest games this season are Pitt and South Carolina and both are in Neyland.

Our offense hasn't scored a point yet. Just because this coach has a high scoring offense doesn't mean this team will be able to do that. You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Absolutely. Not sure why some think this game is going to be so easy and considered a must win. I would favor Pitt at this stage of the game. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

Despite the fact that this is a Noon game, almost every National radio show I’ve listened to that discusses college football regularly or exclusively keeps mentioning what a big game this is for not only Us, but for the ACC and Pitt as well. I think Pitts QB is underrated and will play well. I expect a tight game, but I think we’ll win. This is a monster game IMO versus a trendy under the radar pick to win the ACC Coastal.

I wouldn't be surprised to win by 10 or lose by 10, however -the days of our QB throwing pick 6's and making dumbass decisions on the field hurting our defense-GONE i know that from seeing UCF play under Hyple. He really is a great QB coach the likes of which we have not had on the hill in AGES. I think this game will be close but tons of improvement in our offense this year means we get a win at home-

Pitt is nothing like the rest of our OOC schedule and will definitely be a test. On the other hand they did not beat anyone decent last year. Also, I think our speed will be a problem for them. Finally, Neyland at noon in September is going to be a challenging environment. UT by a TD.

Despite the fact that this is a Noon game, almost every National radio show I’ve listened to that discusses college football regularly or exclusively keeps mentioning what a big game this is for not only Us, but for the ACC and Pitt as well. I think Pitts QB is underrated and will play well. I expect a tight game, but I think we’ll win. This is a monster game IMO versus a trendy under the radar pick to win the ACC Coastal.

I definitely do not see them winning the Coastal. However, this is a scrappy team. My dad is a VT grad and big Hokie fan and Pitt is a tough out every year for them. They are a physical football team and always have a few really talented players. We can’t take them lightly. We can definitely win, but if we start slow like the last couple seasons, I expect a loss.

People thought we would walk all over WV a couple of years ago and they handled us easily. I’ll never underestimate the over confidence of VN. The Pitt game is a good bell weather game as a program just to see where the talent level is, the buy in level, and the ability of our roster to adapt to new schemes on both sides of the ball. Honestly I’m not optimistic that this team can get it done. Too many unknowns that will still be unknowns after the BG game. I’m glad the game is in Knoxville, but Pitt will be prepared.

I knew we would lose to West Virginia but I didn't think they would embarrass us.

Any of Heupel UCF teams would beat this Pitt team. And this Tennessee team is more talented than any of those UCF teams.

Pitt doesnt have the offense to dominate the clock. Nor does their defense have the ability to slow down our offense.

51-17 UT
I am as optimistic as anyone when it comes to the Vols. However, this devastating offense you speak of has not scored a point yet. After game #1 last year, Miss. State beat LSU and everyone thought their offense was going to unseat Bama (they flopped for the most part). This team has some opportunities, but we are walking a tightrope with talent and depth.

I definitely do not see them winning the Coastal. However, this is a scrappy team. My dad is a VT grad and big Hokie fan and Pitt is a tough out every year for them. They are a physical football team and always have a few really talented players. We can’t take them lightly. We can definitely win, but if we start slow like the last couple seasons, I expect a loss.
I don’t see them winning the Coastal either. All the talking heads at ACC media says kept saying they could see them having an outside chance winning the division. UNC should win it, I think that opening Friday night game in Blacksburg with UNC @ VPI is a huge game for the division. Would love to see Tech win that game. I mean I would absolutely love to see Virginia Tech just rip their heart out before Labor Day.

The worse case scenario would be that Josh Heupel is the new Chad Morris. Chad Morris tried to run a hurry-up, fast past offense at Arkansas and it ended up being a disaster.

Reactions: NashvilleFan
I don’t see them winning the Coastal either. All the talking heads at ACC media says kept saying they could see them having an outside chance winning the division. UNC should win it, I think that opening Friday night game in Blacksburg with UNC @ VPI is a huge game for the division. Would love to see Tech win that game. I mean I would absolutely love to see Virginia Tech just rip their heart out before Labor Day.

Sir, this is a Wendy's!

51-17 UT
I laughed...We haven't scored 51 points since moby dick was a minnow.

VN Store

Back