Pitt - Sept. 11, 2021 - a likely gauge for Vols ability to adapt to new systems

HiltonHeadVol

TokyoVol
So I hear folks regularly talk about going into Florida undefeated in the 2021 season. Ok, let's hold the bus on the 3-0 assumption for a minute. Pitt, only our second foe of the season has a well established Head Coach (Pat Narduzzi) and will be a serious test. Pitt has 5 players pre-season on All ACC team, their punter is on the Ray Guy list, and Pitt was just rated pre-season 8th best pass rush in the nation in Pro Football Focus. That same pub picked the 5 most under-rated conference teams around the country and Pitt was their ACC most under-rated.

None of that really matters until we see things on the field, but Pitt is a legit football team who will come into Knoxville and certainly present a challenge to say the least. The Panthers could come in and even win handily over a team with a new system on O and D. Hoping this doesn't happen of course, but people need to take them quite seriously. It is a huge game and depending on the rest of the season, it could be that losing a competitive game to Pitt might not be the disaster most on here would assume it to be. There are always teams on our schedule who perform well above preseason expectations, and those that do the opposite. Sadly we have been in the latter category much too often - usually from poor coaching/development. Heck, I don't believe we have even scored a touchdown against Pitt in the two games we've played. I was at the 1983 game in Knoxville as a young dude (Pitt won 13-3). We shall see how things go with the new regime, but I have some hope in that regard.

And as a case in point, Pitt was not super highly regarded that year - '83, Foge Fazio's 2nd year - but ended up being ranked after beating us and ended up 18th in the Top 20 post season polls (8-3-1). They beat Fla State (Bowden's 8th year), beat Notre Dame at S. Bend, tied Penn St, and lost a close game to Ohio St in bowl game. BTW, Tennessee was never ranked that year (surprisingly) and ended up 9-3 only losing to Pitt, Auburn, and Ole Miss. Just a little walk back in time.

If we don't beat Pittsburgh by 3tds I'd be shocked
I suppose one can always hope but be prepared for
Humorous-illustration-of-man-getting-shocked.jpg

Reactions: Carl Pickens
So I hear folks regularly talk about going into Florida undefeated in the 2021 season. Ok, let's hold the bus on the 3-0 assumption for a minute. Pitt, only our second foe of the season has a well established Head Coach (Pat Narduzzi) and will be a serious test. Pitt has 5 players pre-season on All ACC team, their punter is on the Ray Guy list, and Pitt was just rated pre-season 8th best pass rush in the nation in Pro Football Focus. That same pub picked the 5 most under-rated conference teams around the country and Pitt was their ACC most under-rated.

None of that really matters until we see things on the field, but Pitt is a legit football team who will come into Knoxville and certainly present a challenge to say the least. The Panthers could come in and even win handily over a team with a new system on O and D. Hoping this doesn't happen of course, but people need to take them quite seriously. It is a huge game and depending on the rest of the season, it could be that losing a competitive game to Pitt might not be the disaster most on here would assume it to be. There are always teams on our schedule who perform well above preseason expectations, and those that do the opposite. Sadly we have been in the latter category much too often - usually from poor coaching/development. Heck, I don't believe we have even scored a touchdown against Pitt in the two games we've played. I was at the 1983 game in Knoxville as a young dude (Pitt won 13-3). We shall see how things go with the new regime, but I have some hope in that regard.

And as a case in point, Pitt was not super highly regarded that year - '83, Foge Fazio's 2nd year - but ended up being ranked after beating us and ended up 18th in the Top 20 post season polls (8-3-1). They beat Fla State (Bowden's 8th year), beat Notre Dame at S. Bend, tied Penn St, and lost a close game to Ohio St in bowl game. BTW, Tennessee was never ranked that year (surprisingly) and ended up 9-3 only losing to Pitt, Auburn, and Ole Miss. Just a little walk back in time.
In 1980 Willie Gault returned a kickoff for a TD against them....And that's the only one we have ever scored on them....Yes they are going to be a serious test and those who think this will be a walk in the park have no clue...We are coming off a 3-8 season and lost a ton of talent to the transfer portal, We are young and have a lot to learn before we go puffing out our chests thinking we are going to blow anybody out.

Then you are well outside majority opinion that this will be a nail-biter. Current spread is Tenn -2.5pts

Any of Heupel UCF teams would beat this Pitt team. And this Tennessee team is more talented than any of those UCF teams.

I don't give a damn about a spread predetermined from what we were last season.
Pitt doesnt have the offense to dominate the clock. Nor does their defense have the ability to slow down our offense.

51-17 UT

We thought we were going to be undefeated in 2019 going into the Florida game too, but Georgia State and BYU had other plans. We can’t overlook anyone.
EFF 2019 and BUBBA GUMP BELDAR!
That ish ain't us anymore foo!
We ain't overlooking anybody! We just going to stomp deyass!

In 1980 Willie Gault returned a kickoff for a TD against them....And that's the only one we have ever scored on them....Yes they are going to be a serious test and those who think this will be a walk in the park have no clue...We are coming off a 3-8 season and lost a ton of talent to the transfer portal, We are young and have a lot to learn before we go puffing out our chests thinking we are going to blow anybody out.
Yessir, Willie ran kickoff back but Duncan missed the PAT. I'd forgotten. Well, no touchdowns on offense then. :(

Reactions: VOLnMiami
Pittsburgh and South Carolina are the two toss-up games we must win to make a bowl. I see us winning the other 3 OOC games and Vanderbilt.

Missouri and Kentucky will be slightly favored against us but we have a shot at them. If we can also get the monkey off our back, Florida is pretty vulnerable this year. From what I am reading, Florida may not be very good.

All I know is that Pitt always gives Penn state problems and they give Clemson problems. Both of those teams would easily destroy us. Pitt isn't another weak team and they shouldn't be over looked if people think this way that's fine it your opinion but it's also my opinion that if you do think Pitt is a easy win then you're retarded.

People thought we would walk all over WV a couple of years ago and they handled us easily. I’ll never underestimate the over confidence of VN. The Pitt game is a good bell weather game as a program just to see where the talent level is, the buy in level, and the ability of our roster to adapt to new schemes on both sides of the ball. Honestly I’m not optimistic that this team can get it done. Too many unknowns that will still be unknowns after the BG game. I’m glad the game is in Knoxville, but Pitt will be prepared.

Reactions: 08Vol and kcvols1
Tough game we win by 10 ish.

Because of our season opener is on Thursday night, we have 9 days to get ready for Pitt. They have 7 to get ready for us. Those two extra days mean a lot early in the season when more mistakes are made.

I hope.
Do you expect our D and fast paced offense in our second game to get an over under of 66 or less vs Pitt?

None of that really matters until we see things on the field, but Pitt is a legit football team who will come into Knoxville and certainly present a challenge to say the least. The Panthers could come in and even win handily over a team with a new system on O and D. Hoping this doesn't happen of course, but people need to take them quite seriously.

Strong points, well reasoned, HiltonHeadVol. Appreciate the preview.

Some days I think "Reality" should be the eighth Forum on VolNation.

Reactions: HiltonHeadVol

VN Store

Back