All things STOCKS

Any thoughts on buying AMZN on the big pull back?

They do have positive earnings after decades of operating at a loss. I’d like it to pull back more, but purchasing by fund managers might prevent significant corrections.

AMZN might be the best current version of a buy and never sell security. I would think at some point it splits into two companies. Web Services might be the best tech company of them all.

They had terrific sales during the pandemic. Year-over-year comps are much more challenging relative to all of the industries that shut down.

I’m buying if it falls another 10%. Maybe a couple of shares if it drops 5%.

They do have positive earnings after decades of operating at a loss. I’d like it to pull back more, but purchasing by fund managers might prevent significant corrections.

AMZN might be the best current version of a buy and never sell security. I would think at some point it splits into two companies. Web Services might be the best tech company of them all.

They had terrific sales during the pandemic. Year-over-year comps are much more challenging relative to all of the industries that shut down.

I’m buying if it falls another 10%. Maybe a couple of shares if it drops 5%.
My only concern for them is if Walmart and the others in the online business start catching up and stealing market share. Typically companies take a step forward when the original owners are replaced as CEO’s. If it drops another 5% I’m throwing a couple hundred K in their direction and may do it at the current price

My only concern for them is if Walmart and the others in the online business start catching up and stealing market share. Typically companies take a step forward when the original owners are replaced as CEO’s. If it drops another 5% I’m throwing a couple hundred K in their direction and may do it at the current price

I think that the value is in AWS. Walmart can’t touch that. Amazon dot com can just be a side business that throws off a bit of cash. They could potentially grow multiple ancillary businesses which all end up more profitable and valuable than dot com. Home Delivery. Shipping. EVs or autonomous vehicles. Pieces of healthcare. Rather than a book seller, they are a modern day conglomerate that has been plowing profits back into vertical and horizontal expansion instead of to the retained earnings section of their balance sheet. Liberal heads are exploding because they therefore pay little in direct FI Tax. But they create millions of jobs either directly or indirectly, most of them creating massive tax revenues. Capitalism is great.

Reactions: mrorange211
Bought MRNA and NVAX today.
Drugs of today and the future.

I first bought mrna at $16. Sold at 69 and 139 . More around 180-200.
Bought back at 347 today. Thats how you make money isn't it? 😁

Reactions: mrorange211
I usually buy stock in 500 to 1000 share blocks, that would be $1.6 to $3.3 million here. I don't think so Tim.

PS. Food for thought. If you bought $50,000 of Amazon back in 1997, today it would be worth 69 million. :eek:

Some fellers bought $50k of pets dot com in 1997. And WorldCom. And Global Crossing. And WebVan. Amazon was just an online bookstore.

General Electric was one of the most successful companies in the world 20 years ago. Today it had a 1:8 reverse split. The big uns crash and burn or just disappear quite a lot. AOL. MCI. Enron. WorldCom. GE. Global Crossing. Chesapeake. EMC. Gateway. Dell Computers (different company than Dell today). Compaq. Novell. 3Com.

Beware.

General Electric was one of the most successful companies in the world 20 years ago. Today it had a 1:8 reverse split. The big uns crash and burn or just disappear quite a lot. AOL. MCI. Enron. WorldCom. GE. Global Crossing. Chesapeake. EMC. Gateway. Dell Computers (different company than Dell today). Compaq. Novell. 3Com.

Beware.

Poor management. GE is the most obvious example. Crooks, Enron.

Poor management. GE is the most obvious example. Crooks, Enron.

The crash of GE is amazing. I’m still not sure what happened there. Maybe they shed their most profitable divisions (GE Capital, consumer products) and the heavy industrial divisions haven’t been able to overcome the Great Recession. It’s crazy that Enron was ever able to grow to the size where they imploded.

Most of that list are tech companies that weren’t diversified. EMC is still viable as the new Dell. Chesapeake went down with the NG commodity.

The new GE should be able to profit from the trillions to be spent on infrastructure.

I wonder if old school companies like GE and IBM have put their unfunded pension issues behind them? The oldest participants have been dying off and if they still carry significant pension liabilities they have been helped considerably with the recent run up in equity markets. The 401(k) replacing defined benefit retirement plans has been a huge advantage for the newer companies… especially tech.

What happened was they had a moron CEO that was proclaimed as a genius. They manufactured fake earnings with "special adjustments" all the time back then, back when everybody thought they were a great company.

Made a cool 5% on $ACET on an overnight swing.

Not crazy about the state of the market with COVID cases picking up again and potentially mask mandates coming back. I've gone roughly 50% cash at the moment with my other large play being SPPI, which represents about 30% of my portfolio.

Probably going to try and play safe with day trades/over night swings for 1-5% gains. Looking for small cap stocks at that are at support levels for a quick bounce.

VN Store

Back