Endorsements as a major recruiting tool

Nothing has changed with regard to booster involvement. It’s just easier to spot. NIL opportunities are going to have a larger scope than just the big money guys.
The boosters can now sign guys to “endorsement deals” it’ll turn into a simple excuse to toss cash at good players, I hope we are ready to splash the cash

The Vols own social media, and are a major national brand. Vol Twitter rules that space. I think everyone seems to have forgotten this fact. How much is 1-5 million followers worth? Because, that's the biggest money these kids are going to get. Sure the boosters will pitch their $$ out there, but they can't compete with the advertising dollars flowing through social media.
I’m not cutting out UT, just saying that bigger markets in Big Cities will do very well.

Being older and not using social media, I used to find it creepy that folks were following recruits and players....... now it's building their brand and, arguably, good for the school to be seen as a UT supporter following a UT recruit.

I'm not sure of the endgame here, as folks learn to "game" how many followers or readers or viewers or whatever they have. I don't know enough about all of it but if your NIL worth is based on numbers, there's going to be a market to inflate those numbers.

The folks in charge of the NCAAF ought to be taken out to a field and shot for not putting any parameters on these college kids cashing in on endorsements. There should have been a cap on every player of say, $50,000 from all endorsements. Making kids millionaires is absolutely MORONIC and will inevitably be a major distraction from what used to be a great sport to watch.

Fare the well college football. Ive given up professional sports ( yes for that reason) so it won't be a stretch to give up college sports...especially football. I've been a Vol for decades but this "pay the players " will spell the end. Sigh.

Reactions: AM64
Fare the well college football. Ive given up professional sports ( yes for that reason) so it won't be a stretch to give up college sports...especially football. I've been a Vol for decades but this "pay the players " will spell the end. Sigh.

Curious to hear your take on how paying them legally will end football when they’ve been pid illegally for the last 2 decades at minimum.

It's already begun. Saban telling Texas high school football coaches how much money their kids can make in endorsements if they come to Alabama. Using Bryce Young as an example.

Saban: Bryce Young near $1M in endorsements

Now that the box is open there will be no end to it. They will develop new angles and then new angle on the new angles until college football disappears.

It will be interesting to see how transfers, injuries, and bust 5stars play into the NIL equation.

Curious to hear your take on how paying them legally will end football when they’ve been pid illegally for the last 2 decades at minimum.
You're comparing apples to bananas. Yes, certain players were getting the $100 handshakes. But the BAMA player has almost $1,000,000 in endorsements. It changes the whole make-up of the game. It takes away the incentive to play hard and make it to the NFL. Understand, this is my opinion only and yours may differ totally. I love the Vols but I just don't think this will end well. Go Vols.

The folks in charge of the NCAAF ought to be taken out to a field and shot for not putting any parameters on these college kids cashing in on endorsements. There should have been a cap on every player of say, $50,000 from all endorsements. Making kids millionaires is absolutely MORONIC and will inevitably be a major distraction from what used to be a great sport to watch.

So we should keep the kids poor? That way we can enjoy being entertained by them for a couple more years.

We live in America, and if someone was making literal BILLIONS off my hard work. I'd want my cut to! Stop trying to make our kids slaves, and start celebrating that there is another American dream being realized!

Honestly, I think this will help lots of kids get their degrees. I mean no reason to go pro early if you're already a millionaire.

Being older and not using social media, I used to find it creepy that folks were following recruits and players....... now it's building their brand and, arguably, good for the school to be seen as a UT supporter following a UT recruit.

I'm not sure of the endgame here, as folks learn to "game" how many followers or readers or viewers or whatever they have. I don't know enough about all of it but if your NIL worth is based on numbers, there's going to be a market to inflate those numbers.
There are those (Sab) who make it creepy. I’ve never second guessed throwing commits a follow because I don’t comment on their tweets or posts afterwards. Parker Ball’s Mom, however?

You're comparing apples to bananas. Yes, certain players were getting the $100 handshakes. But the BAMA player has almost $1,000,000 in endorsements. It changes the whole make-up of the game. It takes away the incentive to play hard and make it to the NFL. Understand, this is my opinion only and yours may differ totally. I love the Vols but I just don't think this will end well. Go Vols.

I see your view and don’t totally disagree. That said, these kids are looking to build generational wealth. $1,000,000 a year is a lot to most folks, but is a signing bonus for the league.

VN Store

Back