Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this news of OU and Texas... Do we even need to win? Does the administration care? Because hell, we'll be making TONS of money regardless right?

Schools are starting to abandon conferences because they aren't making enough money in their current conference. How far are we from conferences abandoning schools because the school isn't generating their fair share of revenue for the conference?

If that starts happening winning and the accompanying revenue winning generates will be real important.

Schools are starting to abandon conferences because they aren't making enough money in their current conference. How far are we from conferences abandoning schools because the school isn't generating their fair share of revenue for the conference?

If that starts happening winning and the accompanying revenue winning generates will be real important.

That's not exactly the case...I think Texas/OU are leaving the Big 12 because they are making the majority of the money (but it's being distributed "evenly" to lesser schools). In the SEC only a few schools don't "pull their" weight if you will for generating their own money. But I'd say even Ole Miss and South Carolina would be in the top 4-5 teams for generating money if you stacked up earnings against the other schools in the Big 12.

Will those two schools make more in the SEC, absolutely. When you generated 50 million a game and play another school that can also push that sort of generated funds (like the majority of the SEC can/does) then it's more viewership, more tickets sold, more money made.

(the 50 million is just a made-up example...I have no clue how much Texas/OU make on a per game basis)

I think we’re currently at 83. I recall reading that and being surprised. Anyone know for sure?

That’s about right/probably right. I went down the roster a couple of weeks ago and came to about 80 give or take and was surprised.

A fair bit of dead weight, though.

The SEC generated $729 million in total revenue during the 2020 fiscal year and the conference distributed about $45.5 million to each of its 14 member schools. In comparison, the Big 12 reported revenue of $409.2 million for fiscal year 2020.

I'd say of that $409.2 million Texas/OU were responsible for well north of $300 million, especially based on their previous fiscal year reports prior to COVID.

In the 2018-19 fiscal year, the last one before the pandemic, Texas had nearly $224 million in operating revenue, according to its annual financial report to the NCAA. Oklahoma was No. 8 with just over $163 million.

It's a sad state of affairs.

Now sure exactly how it's done in the pros - but I imagine it's similar to how conferences do it - pretty much split up all the media cash. The rest is your own - merch, ticket sales, donations of course.

If we did something like that on a national level - say for all power conferences - even if it's just at a 50...60...or 70% even distribution, then everyone would be less inclined to jump around for merely the media money.

Reactions: triadvolfan

Another thing that was said on radio last night is “there are power 5 teams right now that will be left behind when the big boys decide to break away.”

Reactions: UTMVol76
So, dismiss it because of a 17th Century belief ? Its hard to argue advancements in technology have yielded impressive results. We are close to growing ears in labs allowing people who could not hear before, to do so.

We could already be there....but dismiss what you must to feel better.

Edit: We there...
Children receive new ears grown from their own cells in a world first
Lol, no I believe that everything is a building block for the future. But with the scientific method we figure out which processes and technologies work and which ones don’t, then we build from there. I just get tickled when people use the word Science like it’s finalized Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back