When will OK and Texas officially join the SEC?

What year will OK and Texas (will never call them UT btw) officially join the SEC?

Votes: 12 3.2%

Votes: 179 47.2%

Votes: 49 12.9%

Votes: 82 21.6%

Votes: 57 15.0%

• Total voters
Matt Hayes, whose decently connected in CFB, said yesterday he's hearing they'll join in 2022.

Someone also tweeted that A&M and Mizzou announced they were joining in 2011 and both were playing in the SEC in 2012.

Last edited:
Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
I think they will make a deal with the Big 12 and get out in 2022-2023. Now that they have shown their intentions why would the Big 12 want to keep them around until 2025?

Jason Higdon reports Texas and Oklahoma are paying the $150 million fee to exit the big 12 and enter the sec beginning in 2022.

Life comes at us fast. And here comes some serious oil money into the SEC.
I figured this would be the case. There’s no way you’re going into Big12 stadiums for the next 3-4 years after screwing your other conference members. I don’t know how that’ll happen this year.

Reactions: Jaws
That's the way it stands until the buyouts start happening.
I thought their joint public statement said they were committed to their current conference until the TV agreement expires in 2025, I could be wrong though.

I figured this would be the case. There’s no way you’re going into Big12 stadiums for the next 3-4 years after screwing your other conference members. I don’t know how that’ll happen this year.
With NIL is just business. Play here or play there, finally there will be more consequences for bad behavior than running steps or going to another program.

I would expect a player’s NIL contract would have stipulations concerning their behavior off the field. Get caught pulling a regular student stunt the money stops.

It always been about how players spend their free time. The chance of a bigger contract might just nudge them into working harder rather than goofing it all away.

Reactions: Vindibudd
Matt Hayes, whose decently connected in CFB, said yesterday he's hearing they'll join in 2022.

Someone also tweeted that A&M and Mizzou announced they were joining in 2011 and both were playing in the SEC in 2012.
That is legal speak. State you will be staying through the end of the contract....if the Big 12 falls apart before then, you have no buyout. If it stays together, then you can discuss the exit fee.

However, stating you are leaving in 2022 would put you on the hook for the exit fee....best to play nice in the sandbox and then wait and see what happens to the league.

I believe it will be announced no later than Thursday 6 pm sports news.
With them starting in the 2022 fall

I have a feeling the Big 12 is going to fight this and it will drag out a legal battle. I don’t expect to see them until 2023 at the earliest.

Reactions: Volfan1000
That is legal speak. State you will be staying through the end of the contract....if the Big 12 falls apart before then, you have no buyout. If it stays together, then you can discuss the exit fee.

However, stating you are leaving in 2022 would put you on the hook for the exit fee....best to play nice in the sandbox and then wait and see what happens to the league.

I agree with this nearly entirely. With pundits speculating that a number of the Texas schools are looking to bolt to the PAC12, I could easily see the BIG12 dissolving and them joining earlier. That said, if the conference is able to remain intact after this season, then I would anticipate they will buy themselves out of their tv-rights deal and attempt to join in 2023.

it will be 2022.

As soon as they have negotiated out of the B12, the SEC will hold the formal meeting to vote them in beginning with 2022. Its already known they will vote them in, just have to execute the formality. Can't do that until Texas / Oklahoma are free of B12 which will happen. B12 won't fold until they get money out of them to split up. They have the money and ready to pay, just need to execute the process of leaving. B12 has to accept it.

JMO

VN Store

Back