I love the expansion (if it happens)

I have been a long-time fan of telling the NCAA to shove it, but this is the end of an era. Nothing will ever be the same again. I am concerned that the Bama headquartered SEC and ESPN love for Bama, Georgia, Texas, OK, and Florida, will be a bad thing for UT. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: KHVol
Expansion is total crap! Traditional SEC fan here. Did not want South Carolina, not Arkansas, not Mizzou, amd definitely not A&M. Mostly hate this because its all founded in greed. So where does it end? How much is enough? I don’t care if we play Texas or Ok every year. College football used to be beautiful. Now its cynical

Traditional? So we should go and schedule traditional SEC members Sewanee? Tulane? Times are changing.

I don’t mind Texas and Oklahoma joining. Only makes the conference stronger. The Big 12 did this to themselves. Should have never catered to Texas and alienated the entire conference.

According to SEC This Morning the SEC is considering breaking up the conference into four pods:

In Pod A, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and South Carolina would be grouped, Pod B would feature Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee and Vanderbilt, Pod C would feature LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Texas A&M and Pod D would feature Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.

In addition to the pods, the show proposed a nine-game conference schedule format featuring these stipulations: play the other three teams in your pod every season, play two games against each of the other pods and host every team at least once every four seasons.

This is making my head hurt.

According to SEC This Morning the SEC is considering breaking up the conference into four pods:

In Pod A, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and South Carolina would be grouped, Pod B would feature Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee and Vanderbilt, Pod C would feature LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Texas A&M and Pod D would feature Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.

In addition to the pods, the show proposed a nine-game conference schedule format featuring these stipulations: play the other three teams in your pod every season, play two games against each of the other pods and host every team at least once every four seasons.

So we can expect yearly losses to Bama and Auburn and with our luck we'd pull Florida/Georgia/LSU/A&M/Texas/OU in the one year we have legit hopes of being good.

It will be good for the SEC and those who run it, it won’t be good for UT. Looks like the end of NCAA. Imagine the power the conference will have.

It will be good for the SEC and those who run it, it won’t be good for UT. Looks like the end of NCAA. Imagine the power the conference will have.

I don't know...reading and listening to some of the talking douches, the b1g really controls college football because of, well, you know, their academics. The b1g does not care what the SEC does, which is why they played their season in the spring like they announced they would do regardless of what the SEC did...oh wait.

Sanctimonious pricks.

Reactions: HalfullVol

Thanks for this update, Hawkeye 4588. If we must have "pods" (a word that should limited to the spheres of agriculture and science fiction), this arrangement does least damage to our traditional rivalries, preserving/restoring three of the top five. But, if I'm reading this correctly, we're going to be asked to sacrifice our 116-game-long rivalry with Kentucky for this expansion. That's a bridge too far.

Reactions: HooahVol
From a legal standpoint, why the hell is an invitation from the SEC to Texas and OU to break their contractual obligations to the Big 12 not tampering? The other eight members are sure as hell going to suffer exceptional financial damages.

Reactions: HalfullVol
. Money and greed kill every good thing
At the risk of being labeled the " Get Off My Lawn" guy, it is becoming harder and harder to get excited about college sports anymore. I've already lost complete interest in the NFL, MLB, and NBA to to the greed and self interest exhibited there. Now we are rapidly heading in the same direction in amateur sports as well. All change is not necessarily good and often said change starts us down that slippery slope into oblivion.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I will be honest, if we stay with two divisions and Alabama and Auburn go East and Missouri West, it fixes a lot of issues that are in play with 14-team format and restores a lot of old annual rivalries. In some ways, I see this as a big win.

I will be honest, if we stay with two divisions and Alabama and Auburn go East and Missouri West, it fixes a lot of issues that are in play with 14-team format and restores a lot of old annual rivalries. In some ways, I see this as a big win.

I agree with you, *if* there are two divisions constituted as you propose. If they go to "pods" and make us cancel the annual rivalry game we've played 116 times, then we (and college football generally) will have lost something important because of this expansion.

From a legal standpoint, why the hell is an invitation from the SEC to Texas and OU to break their contractual obligations to the Big 12 not tampering? The other eight members are sure as hell going to suffer exceptional financial damages.

I would assume the schools would honor the contracts unless they can reach a settlement.

Of course, Texas and OK could use this as an opportunity to squeeze more money out of the Big 12.

I agree with you, *if* there are two divisions constituted as you propose. If they go to "pods" and make us cancel the annual rivalry game we've played 116 times, then we (and college football generally) will have lost something important because of this expansion.

The problem with Pods for us is that we could lose Georgia, Florida, and Kentucky. Our pod would like be Alabama, Auburn, and Vandy based on most scenarios.

In a week's time, it seems like the earth has rotated on its axis. In my day (the age of Aquarius), teams like Texas and Oklahoma were from the dark side of the moon. Even teams like Mississippi State and LSU were rarely seen in a coon's age.

I’ll tell you what else is funny. All the talk is about football, my God the SEC will win damn near every national title that doesn’t have a basketball.

SEC baseball will be even more ridiculous than it already is

Edit: forgot about adding Oklahoma with softball. Good lord, the sec tournament will be harder to win than the WCWS
Agree Texas and Oklahoma bring a lot of sports clout across the board

It doesn’t make much sense for us to not be in the same pod as Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Those are the two closest teams to us. Kentucky is in the northeast corner of the conference so putting them Georgia, Ole Miss, and Miss. State just doesn’t make sense. Of course, the SEC caters to what Bama wants so…

Same here. I wouldn't mind seeing it go to 20. It doesn't have to be a Clemson, FSU, or another big-time program. Go get BYU, Cincinnati, Marshall, and/or Iowa State-type programs. Teams that could benefit from the SEC, open up markets and recruiting, and provides solid mid-tier programs that can have some really good seasons.
only booster money will/can take care of recruiting and since Tennessee goes cheap on football coaches, football wont get many top recruits

The Vols have been down but that doesn't mean things are going to staying the same. I like this staff, I like our AD and I think Tennessee will do well with the NIL and marketing will be at a high level. I think it levels the playing field overall, you still only sign 25 and 85 limit. I do think them things do not need to change under any governing body. I also think most youngsters while they will be happy with at least the opportunity to make money still care about academi
cs and love the college experience. I am excited to see how it goes and only think it makes many more teams competitive in the sec in the long run. But we shall see. GBO!!!!!

Just go out recruit the best of the best high school players and any that are in lower-income communities. Get their parents jobs and a house in Knoxville. They transfer play last year of ball in Ktown and get a NIL lined up. The fastest way to get back to the top.
Bamas been doing it for years.

They don't know. Nobody knows. They're just speculating on what they MIGHT do. Texas and Oklahoma hasn't even been officially accepted into the conference yet.

So we can expect yearly losses to Bama and Auburn and with our luck we'd pull Florida/Georgia/LSU/A&M/Texas/OU in the one year we have legit hopes of being good.
Expect yearly loses to Auburn??? You confidence as a fan isn't much. I think folks are going to be pleasantly surprised how these players respond to good coaching this fall. GBO!!!!!

VN Store

Back