OK Vol friends, with the addition of OU-TX likely, what do we have to do to get competitive again with all these powerhouses?

Bigorangeal1979,Please take your ingrained loser mentality and go wipe the dust off your participation trophy for peewee two hand touch.Volnation now has their poster child for "weenie"of the world.You takes who comes through the door and smack them in the teeth(if they have any).

Bigorangeal1979,Please take your ingrained loser mentality and go wipe the dust off your participation trophy for peewee two hand touch.Volnation now has their poster child for "weenie"of the world.You takes who comes through the door and smack them in the teeth(if they have any).
Dude I know it's the weekend but maybe slow down and drink some water.

!00 percent spot on post. The degree of difficulty for Tennessee didn't really change too much at all. We can drop our addition of an out of conference power 5 team (I'm sure the SEC will allow that for everyone) and you have virtually the same thing you have now.
If anything this will even the odds with Florida And Georgia and they can play Bama every year like we do.

Doorstep? We moved in and paid off the mortgage on being a cellar dweller. At this point, I guess we have to keep hoping the home state talent starts choosing to stay home and big time boosters pay players for “interviews” or “endorsements”

1) Create a company - preferably an LLC or other liability protected entity.

2) Raise funds from all of VN and the entire fanbase. Request $50/head. For this they will gain some opportunity at a player's NFT (really this is all for show...profits do not matter lol).

3) Contact UT with details of an NiL contract for all 85 football players.

4) Pay each player...($50 x 100,000 fans = $5mm) / 85 players = ~$60,000 guaranteed "salary" for each player, each year.

Promote UT as the school where you make $60k + COL stipend...so close to 70k hard cash...every single year. Recruits would flock knowing they'd make 210k-350k in their 3-5 years here. May also encourage guys to stay longer and also not transfer.

We're at the doorstep of being a bottom dweller in football in the SEC. The league is adding even more power teams. I want us to get back if it's possible. Heck we are not even mentioned as being one of the top teams in the league anymore. WHAT must we do???

2 things. Have to improve the roster and then coaching staff has to coach, develop and recruit better than in the past. The first step, is they need to be beating Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri and Vanderbilt. The only way we will know they have past those 4 is Tennessee winning against those teams 3 straight years. Then we have advanced past them. no need to bring up conference re-alignment based on expansion because we don't know how that will look. Everyone is speculating but no one knows.

Think about this, the last time we beat those 4 schools 3 years in a row is never.

Tennessee has not beaten Missouri 3 times in row since they joined the conference in 2012.

The last we beat Vandy 3 years in a row was 2009-11.

We beat S Carolina 3 years in a row from 2013-2015

We beat Kentucky 3 in a row from 2014-2016

Since Missouri has not been here that long, here was the last time we beat Vandy, Kentucky and South Carolina 3 years in a row.

2002 through 2004 was the last time we beat all 3 of those schools 3 years in a row at the same time.

Tennessee won't compete with Bama, UGA, Fla, LSU, Tex, OK, A&M or Auburn until they can manage to dominate VU, USC, UK and MO again. That would mean beating them 3 straight years or schools like them, Ole Miss, MSU and Arkansas would be others I put in that category. If Tennessee gets there, they will be ready to take on the others.

Reactions: All4TN and MrWiz
Let’s just hope Heupel gets us moving in the right direction.
Not worried about Texas. Oklahoma is going to flourish in this league.
Oklahoma is not Texas a&m or Missouri.

Reactions: vols555
Dig up all of the corpses in the South end zone.
give them a proper burial.
have Vicky Fulmer remove her curse.

Reactions: FïreBall
Continue to look for the right coach who walks into a situation that allows him to be successful. UT already hired the wrong coach at the right time with Butch Jones. There will be another opportunity if Heupel doesn't turn out to be it.

One of the things that will help is finding an elite QB that emerges and makes the team dramatically better... think Burrough or Newton. Before those guys emerged... they were just guys who had failed to take over at their previous school.

Yeah that’s the answer . Just keep hiring and firing and hope you land on the right one. The law of averages will have to kick in at some point right? That’s worked out so well for us hasn’t it???

Yeah that’s the answer . Just keep hiring and firing and hope you land on the right one. The law of averages will have to kick in at some point right? That’s worked out so well for us hasn’t it???
You may not like it but it is what programs do. Bama did not sink to the level UT has been but they did it. Do you think it makes more sense to keep coaches that fail in the hope that someday they'll become good coaches? No program can tolerate a coach after his recruiting credibility has been ruined my losing. That's what happened with Jones. That is especially true of UT considering the lack of instate talent and the relative lack of homerism with the talent there is.

Well what else are you supposed to do? Just accept mediocrity? It’s not like other “blue blood” type programs haven’t gone through this exact same thing. When Bob Stoops was hired at OU, he was their 5th coach in 12 years. When Brian Kelly was hired at Notre Dame, he was their 5th coach in 15 years. When Saban was hired at Bama, he was their 6th coach in 12 years. When Pete Carroll was hired at SC, he was their 4th coach in 10 years. When Saban was hired at LSU, he was their 4th coach in 11 years. So yes, you keep firing and hiring until you get it right.

We're at the doorstep of being a bottom dweller in football in the SEC. The league is adding even more power teams. I want us to get back if it's possible. Heck we are not even mentioned as being one of the top teams in the league anymore. WHAT must we do???

The thing I am most concerned about is Huepel’s Moxy and coach speak honestly. If he abs his coaches do what they seem capable of doing, he will have to do less of the former. I think Dabo, Saban’s closest rival, was similar when he started. He has gotten a little more swagger over time while remaining who he is as they say.

Well what else are you supposed to do? Just accept mediocrity? It’s not like other “blue blood” type programs haven’t gone through this exact same thing. When Bob Stoops was hired at OU, he was their 5th coach in 12 years. When Brian Kelly was hired at Notre Dame, he was their 5th coach in 15 years. When Saban was hired at Bama, he was their 6th coach in 12 years. When Pete Carroll was hired at SC, he was their 4th coach in 10 years. When Saban was hired at LSU, he was their 4th coach in 11 years. So yes, you keep firing and hiring until you get it right.

The problem with that is if you just keep hiring every 3-4 years, what good coach is going to want to come here? Nobody knew Saban was going to be as good as he has been.

Using your logic and our history of hiring/firing, how do you know we can get it right?

You may not like it but it is what programs do. Bama did not sink to the level UT has been but they did it. Do you think it makes more sense to keep coaches that fail in the hope that someday they'll become good coaches? No program can tolerate a coach after his recruiting credibility has been ruined my losing. That's what happened with Jones. That is especially true of UT considering the lack of instate talent and the relative lack of homerism with the talent there is.

We need to stop using Bama in this example. They got extremely lucky. They didn’t know, nor did anyone else for that matter, know Saban would become the GOAT. How do you attract a good coach to a program, when he knows he only has 3 years at best regardless of what he walks into?

At the door step? Are you kidding? We have been living the life of bottom dwellers. Hell, other programs refer to us as the "Viles". Rocky Top is oft called Crocky Flop. And our administration has made that happen with their half assed nonsense in hiring so many half assed hires over the past couple of decades while singing Rocky Top Woo, and thinking that will make it all better.. The door step? The smell of mildew you find in dank cellars is somthing Vols fans no longer notice. We have been breathing it too long. What must we do? Face that reality, and stop doing dumb crap that undermines the whole damn thing. Then, the cream can rise to the top.

You know, everytime I hear Tennessee has the most delusional fan base in the world? I come on here and see posts started by geniuses like you, and realize they are right. "Not even mentioned as being one of the top teams in the league anymore?" Yeah, big effing surprise.

Reactions: lifeisdeep

VN Store

Back