FIVE BANDS...YOU CANNOT STAND?

I wonder if John Boy, Jarnigan, or CP and Walker were forced to spin Donnie and Marie on WRJZ?
Come on. They spun them willingly. Walker still plays with his Donny doll, complete with matching purple and white jumpsuit. He's gained a few so I think it's more of an envelope.

But curious why GVF? Love that style and glad someone has revitalized a classical rock style/feel.

Im probably one of the few on here who's actually seen GVF live. A couple of things about this band annoy me...

1. The lead singer has an impressive vocal range but it's very one-note. I dont hear a lot of variation in his singing. After a few songs it gets tiresome.

2. While I appreciate them wanting to be retro and bring that 70's rock sound back, they wear their influences on their sleeve a bit too much. Sometimes they sound like Zeppelin, sometimes they sound like Rush, sometimes I hear a little Pink Floyd. Where is Greta Van Fleet on all this?

3. They have a serious image problem. I dont know if this has been the label's doing or what, but their look on stage is borderline goofy and it just screams of a band who doesn't really know who they are. Part of it might be because they're just so young. I dont know but they lack Charisma. They're just sort of boring. They come off as a true product of a label creation. Not a band that formed and evolved organically.

4. Their albums have gotten progressively worse. From The Fires was good. Anthem of the Peaceful Army was okay. The Battle at Gardens Gate is flat out boring, slow, and lumbering.

If you are looking for some contemporary bands that sound more classic, I would suggest you check out Rival Sons or maybe The Struts. These bands are the real deal!

I will take your word. Their lyrics and vocals I hated.
Haha, I can understand. They got big right about the time I started playing electric guitar. Try making it through "Decadence Dance" for a taste of what Nuno can do. He was actually in that video of the roundtable of guitarists that freestyle jammed the Game of Thrones theme a while back.

Reactions: allvol123
Blues Traveler: I wanted to stick that harmonica up that guy's ass back in the day! Annoying songs. Annoying singer. Annoying harmonica.

System of a Down: The lead singer's voice is also super annoying. I hate this band!

U2: World's most boring band. I never understood their popularity. Pretentious douche bag of a lead singer too!

Imagine Dragons: This is that gateway band for young ladies looking to shed their Disney bubblegum pop phase and move on to something a little "edgier". If you're a dude and like this band, turn in your man card!

Nirvana: Most overrated and most artificially inflated band ever! I didn't get their popularity at the time it was happening and I don't get the posthumous adulation they've received since then.

Honorable mentions...

Foo Fighters
Pearl Jam
Weezer
Volbeat
Linkin Park
Nickelback
3 Doors Down
REM
Phish
Smashing Pumpkins
Greta Van Fleet

Wow, except for Phish, Greta Van Fleet, Nickelback and Imagine Dragons I like all those bands.

Nirvana was kind of an in the moment thing. Some of the songs held up better than others, but the early grunge was just such a shock to the system coming out of the overproduced 80s.
Agreed; for me there were far better bands that came out of the grunge era than Nirvana. Soundgarden being one of them along with AIC and STP.

I like Nirvana, but I think they are overrated within grunge as a genre. They helped popularize the genre and are the most well-known band to come out of that movement, but IMO they aren't the best grunge band.

Toss up between Alice n Chains, Soundgarden and STP for me. Probably go with Alice if I had to pick. Though Nirvana was great....Curt was very unique and the unplugged performance was a classic.

Toss up between Alice n Chains, Soundgarden and STP for me. Probably go with Alice if I had to pick. Though Nirvana was great....Curt was very unique and the unplugged performance was a classic.
All great choices - hard to pick between AIC or Soundgarden for me.

With music generally, no matter the genre, I'm usually more interested in the instrumentation than vocals, but I've always been a huge fan of Chris Cornell's voice. It's pretty rare when I listen to music and think "Man, that guy can sing" but have always thought that about Cornell. He was an incredible singer.

All great choices - hard to pick between AIC or Soundgarden for me.

With music generally, no matter the genre, I'm usually more interested in the instrumentation than vocals, but I've always been a huge fan of Chris Cornell's voice. It's pretty rare when I listen to music and think "Man, that guy can sing" but have always thought that about Cornell. He was an incredible singer.

My favorite current band is Our Last Night. Great live, great original music and some good covers....though most recent covers haven't been as good except for Astronaut In The Ocean. That cover was fire.
I'm just amazed by a band that has over 100 songs that are great. Their cover of No Time To Die by Billie Eilish is also amazing.

Im probably one of the few on here who's actually seen GVF live. A couple of things about this band annoy me...

1. The lead singer has an impressive vocal range but it's very one-note. I dont hear a lot of variation in his singing. After a few songs it gets tiresome.

2. While I appreciate them wanting to be retro and bring that 70's rock sound back, they wear their influences on their sleeve a bit too much. Sometimes they sound like Zeppelin, sometimes they sound like Rush, sometimes I hear a little Pink Floyd. Where is Greta Van Fleet on all this?

3. They have a serious image problem. I dont know if this has been the label's doing or what, but their look on stage is borderline goofy and it just screams of a band who doesn't really know who they are. Part of it might be because they're just so young. I dont know but they lack Charisma. They're just sort of boring. They come off as a true product of a label creation. Not a band that formed and evolved organically.

4. Their albums have gotten progressively worse. From The Fires was good. Anthem of the Peaceful Army was okay. The Battle at Gardens Gate is flat out boring, slow, and lumbering.

If you are looking for some contemporary bands that sound more classic, I would suggest you check out Rival Sons or maybe The Struts. These bands are the real deal!
That's sad to hear, but thanks for the info. Agree about Struts, they killed it at Shaky Knees. Will have to check out Rival Sons!

I love this thread. Some of the hatred is visceral! I have bands that I love prior to a certain era. Def Leppard being one of them. I will crank almost anything that comes on from High and Dry or Pyromania, but I absolutely detest everything from Hysteria on. Mutt Lange is the worst thing that can happen to a band aside from Yoko Ono.

A few bands I despise:
Bon Jovi
Jefferson Airplane / Starship / and whatever else name they have adopted to disassociate from the steaming pile of shame they have produced.
Heart
The Dead
Neil Young
Yes

I could go on but just thinking of some of these bands is raising my blood pressure.

VN Store

Back