Realignment: Divisions, Pods, & Schedules

Some folks are just gluttons for punishment.

A simpler and better approach would be to simply add OU and Texas or some other pair then divide the league into two divisions. The only games that count toward the conference would be those within the division. If UT and Bama ended up in different divisions and wanted to keep their rivalry game then it would count as an OOC contest. At the end, let the two winners play for the title.

No divisions and no pods. Each school gets 3 permanent rivals (play every year) and rotates through the other 12 (6 per year), for a total of 9 conference games. Here are each school’s permanent rivals:

Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee,Miss St.
Arkansas: Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas A&M
Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Miss St.
Georgia: Florida, Auburn, South Carolina
Florida: Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee
Kentucky: South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Missouri
LSU: A&M, Ole Miss, Texas
Ole Miss: Miss St., LSU, Vanderbilt
Miss St.: Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama
Missouri: Arkansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma
Oklahoma: Texas, Arkansas, Missouri,
South Carolina: Kentucky, Florida, Georgia
Tennessee: Vanderbilt, Alabama, Florida
Texas: Oklahoma, A&M, LSU
Texas A&M: LSU, Texas, Arkansas
Vanderbilt: Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss

Texas and Arkansas used to be a huge rivalry. You wouldn't want to bring that back? I say make Oklahoma, A&M, and Arkansas the permanent rivals for Texas and give LSU to Florida.

Yeah the 3 permanent rivals for each school could be argued and adjusted, but that framework would work great in my opinion.
Texas and Arkansas used to be a huge rivalry. You wouldn't want to bring that back? I say make Oklahoma, A&M, and Arkansas the permanent rivals for Texas and give LSU to Florida.

Personally, instead of adding Okie and the fake ut ( lower case intended) . It should be more geographical, like: FSU/Miami and or Clemson/WVU, or one of the North Carolina schools. Jmho

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
So has this been made official yet that this is actually happening?
It is official and there’s will be 4 pods determined by alphabetical order of mascots:

Aggies
Bulldogs
Bulldogs
Commodores

Crimson Tide
Gamecocks
Gators
Landsharks

Longhorns
Razorbacks
Sooners
Tigers (Missouri, to keep old big 12)

Tigers
Tigers
Volunteers
Wildcats

4 universities have to downvote it for it to be rejected. A&M will undoubtedly do so, as I'm sure they don't want Texas in the SEC. Alabama probably wouldn't want it. I don't know who else. Mizzou maybe?
Arkansas and the Miss schools. Probably LSU too

No divisions and no pods. Each school gets 3 permanent rivals (play every year) and rotates through the other 12 (6 per year), for a total of 9 conference games. Here are each school’s permanent rivals:

Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee,Miss St.
Arkansas: Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas A&M
Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Miss St.
Georgia: Florida, Auburn, South Carolina
Florida: Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee
Kentucky: South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Missouri
LSU: A&M, Ole Miss, Texas
Ole Miss: Miss St., LSU, Vanderbilt
Miss St.: Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama
Missouri: Arkansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma
Oklahoma: Texas, Arkansas, Missouri,
South Carolina: Kentucky, Florida, Georgia
Tennessee: Vanderbilt, Alabama, Florida
Texas: Oklahoma, A&M, LSU
Texas A&M: LSU, Texas, Arkansas
Vanderbilt: Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss

I would tweak some of these pairings, but this is the correct answer. Divisions need to die.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
4 universities have to downvote it for it to be rejected. A&M will undoubtedly do so, as I'm sure they don't want Texas in the SEC. Alabama probably wouldn't want it. I don't know who else. Mizzou maybe?
It’s already official behind the scenes. It will be 14-0 vote perhaps 13-1 with A&M abstaining for PR reasons

To clarify, my realignment pod example was more for the purpose of explaing how 4 pods coupled into rotating divisions would impact scheduling and the SECCG.

Even I don’t like how I set up the teams in each pod in my example.

Tired of playing Bama every year wish we could remove that game for our yearly schedule

While yes, it has been several years since we’ve won this game, they are a traditional rival (unlike Florida who has only been in more recent years considered such). I for one never want to see this game removed from our schedule, I just want us to start competing at a level we can and should.

I don’t want a PHD in pods and rotating divisions every year.
I just want to play Auburn, Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky and Vandy every year and play Georgia, Florida, LSU and Miss State on a rotating basis every few years.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back