Mike leach called Pruitt's hiring a coup d'é·tat

On one hand I didn't like Currie

But on the other he made some great hires like Barnes, Vitello one of the Lady Vols Coaches (forgot sport).

Leech would have been a good hire that would have been an offensive minded coach at the same time that bamer, Florida and LSU were heading that way, recognizing the shift in tectonic plates regarding Offense Wins Championships.

Umm, that would be a no? We might not be winning the NC this year if we had hired him instead, but it's a safe bet we'd be light-years better right now than we are, probably also wouldn't be in the NCAA mess, probably wouldn't be breaking in a new coach with no Power 5 HC experience.

With our schedule their is not light years between good and a N.C. The rest is just speculation. I stand by my previous statement.

I mean...he just stated a fact.

It's getting attention because most coaches in his position would dance around it and not say anything, but of course that isn't Leach's style.

Agreed. He was going to be our coach and then there was a coup. Idk why anyone is acting like it’s crazy that he told the truth

Not the first time Fulmer backdoored the program.
He is the exact reason the program is in the shape it is now.

I am so glad he is finally gone for good!

Now we can start an actual rebuild process that should have been done 13 years ago and do it with out his meddling and backstabbing!

Not the first time Fulmer backdoored the program.
He is the exact reason the program is in the shape it is now.

When we won the BCS in ‘98 I couldn’t have been happier. But….I told my friends it was a mixed blessing because that win gave Fulmer almost a lifetime contract. I knew someday the luck and the recruits would run out…..and we’d be dead. Sadly I was right.

I think we were the lucky ones. We would be in a much worse situation than we are now.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious what your reasoning is. It's hard for me to believe that any of the candidates named at the time could have caused more embarrassment to our University and more harm to our football program than Pruitt did.

I think we were the lucky ones. We would be in a much worse situation than we are now.

Yeah, we could have been pretty unwatchable with the exception of one lucky streak. We could have lost to Georgia State ! To male matters worse, we could have NCAA issue.

We could be in a much worse position than we are now

End sarcasm font

If nothing else, with Leach we would have scored some points.

I mean is CJH not basically Leach v 2.0 with a tomes down personality?

He's spoken about Fulmers coup before. He said the events that transpired that led to his takeover was something from a Shakespearean play.

If I knew for sure we were going to continue to suck for another 15 years, I'd want him here to listen to his press conferences.

Reactions: davethevol
Last edited:
IMHO tennessee would be in an exponentially better position if they made the Leach hire rather than what happened.

I voted for Leach. I even started a thread, just before the hire or after, comparing the two. lot of good it did us tho.

Reactions: murfvol1
Agreed. He was going to be our coach and then there was a coup. Idk why anyone is acting like it’s crazy that he told the truth
Some people cant think past their priors..

They didnt want him for whatever reason so are quick to dog him at each opportunity.

Some appear to have preferred the Pruitt years as have him..

Last edited:
Reactions: mpfvol and Vol8188
Is this a serious post? He did better in his first season with a hell of a lot less talented team than Beldar did in his third season...There's really not a factual way to make your statement make sense.
The dude is a goofball whose press conferences are fun to watch as long as he’s coaching somebody else. That personality wears thin after a loss.

“All the sudden, they call home the AD, and en route they off him,” Leach said. “Then the king or the chancellor who orders the offing of the AD because the guards are around him demanding that it be done in order to secure a position. Shortly after that, they off the president. Then they off the very chancellor who set it all in motion allegedly. There was a whole power shift. Anyway, hopefully the ground for the good people at Tennessee is more stable now.”
…but he pretty much nailed the sequence of events.

Are we going to relitigate this yet again? Does it really matter? Bottom line, the school had a lot of dead wood that needed cleaned out and hauled to the curb. Currie needed to go and so did Fulmer. They were both toxic. I just HOPE we can finally focus on football finally and win some games

Reactions: tbh and volsknx

VN Store

Back