Florida slug on Heupel UT turnaround

The article had a lot of truth in it, but also some unnecessary snark and douch-ness
His “truth” isn’t anything that everyone doesn’t already know. The point of the article isn’t to provide insightful commentary, only to say that Tennessee and Heupel both suck. Lol

Some truths there but this jerk is implying the ship cant be righted. there is a big gap but its not from only talent. Dooley and Butch both had good enough recruiting classes, even Beldar did. The difference in those guys and Saban, Meyer, Kiffin, Mullin...they teach the talent...development...Tennessee has had talent, it was just wasted.

There's plenty of good players to go around, its what you do with them.

The truth in the article is to no one's surprise. Valid points? Sure, but unless you are an idiot you already know the truth. The situation in Knoxville is challenging so this isn't anything groundbreaking. Heupel is no idiot. The fans are impatient, sure. Most of us have tasted success and hate to see the team lose, but this construct that we as mere fans have so much power and influence is ridiculous and a cop out for the administration, the people that the media should actually hold accountable for the last 15 years or so.

The author goes on to imply that the situation in Knoxville is hopeless and too difficult to be successful and that any coach would have a an easier path to the playoffs at UCF. Maybe, if your goal is to just make the playoffs. If your goal is to win championships, you want Alabama, Georgia, and Florida on your schedule. Heupel knew what he was getting into. He knows the schedule. He knows it would have been easier at UCF, expectations lower, and he appears to be up for the challenge. The author shouldn't take so much from "coach speak" at a media day event. What's he supposed to say? "UT has a sucked for a while now, and I'll be out of here in 3 years because I can't compete in both recruiting and on the field with Georgia, Alabama, and Clemson." Well, I got news for this guy, no one has. It's been them and *insert random #4 seed* since they've started this 4 team "playoff."

It is yet to be seen if Heupel will improve the situation in Knoxville, but this guy can take his pessimism and condescension and go %$#@ himself.

Go Vols! Beat Florida!

His “truth” isn’t anything that everyone doesn’t already know. The point of the article isn’t to provide insightful commentary, only to say that Tennessee and Heupel both suck. Lol

When I say truth I mean that he points out things that our fan base easily forgets in the midst of offseason hopes……that the recruiting landscape has changed dramatically and how today’s recruits view our program

I want to hope so but it all depends on recruiting. Talent gap is disturbing at best. Guess we will see.

Good coaching trumps everything. That's how Mullen brought MSU out of the pits of the SEC West and a No. 1 overall ranking at one point. That's how Stoops turned a pathetic KY program into a 10 win season. Meanwhile, we've consistently finished in the top 15 in recruiting for the last 10 years and have yet to finish even once ranked inside the top 20. Of course, these teams will never have the chance to be perennial powerhouses like we do, but it just goes to show that you don't need elite HS recruits to win big.

You do, however, need elite recruits to sustain your success, which is why MSU would only have a big couple years, then fall back to being medicore for a couple years.

The truth in the article is to no one's surprise. Valid points? Sure, but unless you are an idiot you already know the truth. The situation in Knoxville is challenging so this isn't anything groundbreaking. Heupel is no idiot. The fans are impatient, sure. Most of us have tasted success and hate to see the team lose, but this construct that we as mere fans have so much power and influence is ridiculous and a cop out for the administration, the people that the media should actually hold accountable for the last 15 years or so.

The author goes on to imply that the situation in Knoxville is hopeless and too difficult to be successful and that any coach would have a an easier path to the playoffs at UCF. Maybe, if your goal is to just make the playoffs. If your goal is to win championships, you want Alabama, Georgia, and Florida on your schedule. Heupel knew what he was getting into. He knows the schedule. He knows it would have been easier at UCF, expectations lower, and he appears to be up for the challenge. The author shouldn't take so much from "coach speak" at a media day event. What's he supposed to say? "UT has a sucked for a while now, and I'll be out of here in 3 years because I can't compete in both recruiting and on the field with Georgia, Alabama, and Clemson." Well, I got news for this guy, no one has. It's been them and *insert random #4 seed* since they've started this 4 team "playoff."

It is yet to be seen if Heupel will improve the situation in Knoxville, but this guy can take his pessimism and condescension and go %$#@ himself.

Go Vols! Beat Florida!

Yep. There is no universe where UCF is a better job than UT. A better chance at a title? Maybe in the near future, since UCF is certainly somewhat likely to make into the CFP given their situtation and we are not. But the chances of them actually winning the CFP are less than UT's chance of winning the SEC East over that same time frame. The facilities are better at UT. Recruiting is easier at UT. And most importantly, the money is better at UT. Huepel absolutely is in a better situation at UT. Whether or not he'll work out is TBD, but he most certainly made the right choice.

Wish Heupel the best and I hope he does well here and turns us around but if I was a betting man then I would put money on us having another new HC at this time in four years hope I’m wrong though we badly need some continuity at the HC position.

Reactions: vavolfan6

Not untrue, no matter how much you dont want to hear it.

"If Heupel is going to rebuild the Vols into what they believe they can be, he’ll have to progress in ways that didn’t show up in Orlando, where he went from 12-1 to 10-3 to 6-4. The Knights replaced him with Gus Malzahn, who was 68-35 at Auburn with three wins over Alabama. If you’re betting on whether Heupel will be able to match those numbers in Knoxville, take the under. There’s a reason many UCF fans weren’t sad to see him go."

Huepel came to Tennessee because they threw SEC money at him when he wasn't even considered a candidate until Tennessee got embarrassed again. The "opportunity" Huepel speaks about is the same opportunity Pruitt talked about. The chance to make big time cash and set their families up for life when nobody else wanted them.

The Tennessee way.

VN Store

Back