Sankey sends letter to NCAA on behalf of UT

The laws/ rules are not grandfathered.

You're right, but you're missing the point. We broke a rule that is no longer enforced. If we just look straight at the camera, announce it is OVER, and we are going back to business, what exactly do you see the NCAA doing?

Hell, get a McDonald's franchisee who is a UT booster to announce a NIL Happy Meal contract with several players, and hand over the signing bonus in McD's bags DURING THE PRESS CONFERENCE.

Again...that is exactly what the Gumps would do. Not only say 'screw you' to the NCAA, but rub their face in it.

Reactions: rockytop36
At this point, with what has transpired in the last few months, I'd tell the NCAA we took care of our problem, and as far as we're concerned it's over. If they want to push it, then let it play out in the media, Congress, and the courts. By the time it's over, the NCAA won't exist anymore. I'm good with it either way. We had a problem; we fixed it; it's over. Time to move forward.

Go Vols.

You're right, but you're missing the point. We broke a rule that is no longer enforced. If we just look straight at the camera, announce it is OVER, and we are going back to business, what exactly do you see the NCAA doing?

Hell, get a McDonald's franchisee who is a UT booster to announce a NIL Happy Meal contract with several players, and hand over the signing bonus in McD's bags DURING THE PRESS CONFERENCE.

Again...that is exactly what the Gumps would do. Not only say 'screw you' to the NCAA, but rub their face in it.
I think you missed the point. We broke the rules when they were in force. we are guilty. We should and will be punished unless we join other Universities form a new organization to oversee our/ their activities. If that h@ppens, then we can say ”screw you” to the NCAA, but then we have to obey the rules set by the new organization or we will be punished by the new organization. Remember, the NCAA was created because the Athletic Program had gotten so out of control that rules had to be established to control those who play fairly. By the way, this is not the &institute time we have been caught with our hand in the cookie jar.
This is how societies work and survive.

Reactions: GoVols15
Complete BS. Screw Sankey. He is nothing more than Bama's adjunct marketing director anyway.

I'm with Tony Basilio on this one. Stop the investigation, dismiss the attorneys, and announce you're moving forward. No reductions. No bowl ban. Absolutely nothing.

Give Slingblade a mil or 2 to make his ignorant posterior go away completely, and call it a day.

It's what the Gumps would do.

Yup, Birmingham is even worse than Indianapolis. As much as people dislike the ncaa...I do not look forward to more choices being left up to conferences...or B'ham in our case. Oof!

UT was not mentioned by name but he sent a letter to the NCAA saying those accused of violations should have a Fair, and heard in a Timely Manner. He mentioned it needs to be fair and quicker for the student athletes affected.

if you're saying he just sent, then that is the second time he has done that. He did it last summer also... regarding LSU Basketball. NCAA had 3 year backlog last summer and doubt Sankey letter then made much difference...

I say 2 years probation and forfeit all of cornbread's wins mainly because if you look at all the guilty is gone anyways even the players. Basically with this whole transfer portal when it comes to players we have done paid the price for it anyways why apply sanctions that going to cost us anymore.

I think you missed the point. We broke the rules when they were in force. we are guilty. We should and will be punished unless we join other Universities form a new organization to oversee our/ their activities. If that h@ppens, then we can say ”screw you” to the NCAA, but then we have to obey the rules set by the new organization or we will be punished by the new organization. Remember, the NCAA was created because the Athletic Program had gotten so out of control that rules had to be established to control those who play fairly. By the way, this is not the &institute time we have been caught with our hand in the cookie jar.
This is how societies work and survive.

Applying anything like rationality to the sets of rules and the selective, random enforcement the NCAA had devolved to administering is an exercise in futility. But if you want to be a Boy Scout and self punish under the old rules, enjoy watching Alabama, Ohio State, et al run to the ragged borders of the new rules and start daring the conferences to do anything.

Well that's just wrong. You still can't pay recruits.

Not directly. But watching the whisper thin ruses Bama et al are about to use to get cash directly to recruits under the new rules is going to be So very, very predictable.

And of course, being Tennessee, we will be the last major program to suffer under the old rules, and be 5 years behind everyone in learning to break the new ones.

Tennessee gonna Tennessee.

At this point, with what has transpired in the last few months, I'd tell the NCAA we took care of our problem, and as far as we're concerned it's over. If they want to push it, then let it play out in the media, Congress, and the courts. By the time it's over, the NCAA won't exist anymore. I'm good with it either way. We had a problem; we fixed it; it's over. Time to move forward.

Go Vols.

This. So much this.

GW is spot on as usual. We fired everyone involved and the players arw gone. New MO is college players profit financially while in school with NO loss of amateur status...so the feckless lame duck NCAA needs to zip their lips and GTFU....

If our beloved UT self imposes some BS penalties while UNC UK KU LSU etc etc were caught red handed on tape paying ball players and have received ZERO penalties from the NCAA.....our leadership needs to be FIRED immediately. As someone already posted...we better NOT be the last school the garbage NCAA penalized.

Coaches.cannot.DIRECTLY.pay.players that hasn’t been legalized. YOU are “missing the point”.

This. So much this.

GW is spot on as usual. We fired everyone involved and the players arw gone. New MO is college players profit financially while in school with NO loss of amateur status...so the feckless lame duck NCAA needs to zip their lips and GTFU....

If our beloved UT self imposes some BS penalties while UNC UK KU LSU etc etc were caught red handed on tape paying ball players and have received ZERO penalties from the NCAA.....our leadership needs to be FIRED immediately. As someone already posted...we better NOT be the last school the garbage NCAA penalized.
I’m not sure why you’re referencing UNC. Neither the fake major basketball scandal or the recruiting violations in football under Butch Davis involved direct payments from coaches. And UNC received sanctions in football. Postseason ban, loss of 15 scholarships and 3 years probation. The violations involved improper benefits from sports agents. Wade was recorded TALKING about payments on a FBI wiretap. NCAA can’t subpoena that tape and it’s hearsay…not a paper trail. NCAA needs paper trails and WHISTLE BLOWERS and don’t recall either showing up against those other 3 schools…unlike the unnamed whistler who slapped our mess on Plowman’s desk.

Well that's just wrong. You still can't pay recruits.

They are giving Reggie Bush his Heisman Trophy back so I guess it doesn’t matter, that was enforced at the time. I wonder if they will be counting USC’s wins as well now.

Complete BS. Screw Sankey. He is nothing more than Bama's adjunct marketing director anyway.

I'm with Tony Basilio on this one. Stop the investigation, dismiss the attorneys, and announce you're moving forward. No reductions. No bowl ban. Absolutely nothing.

Give Slingblade a mil or 2 to make his ignorant posterior go away completely, and call it a day.

It's what the Gumps would do.

EXACTLY. Stop the self flagellation and hand wringing. We stopped it when it became known. Fired everybody and anybody that had anything to do wit it. Allowed student athletes that may have been on the take to go elsehwere without issue, went 3-7, pay a fine and tell them we're moving on no matter what they do.

I dont know if Sankey is trying to help. Sankey is basically saying "hurry up and convict these guys and give them a ban before all your power is gone".

Sankey could have said "The SEC no longer adheres to the NCAA rules on recruitment of players, peace out"

Sankey doesn't have that kind of power. its up to the school Presidents.. Sankey's bosses

For all the folks in here so eager to finish gutting our program in a well-intentioned but misguided need for the moral high ground,, here is Saban himself sending a clear message that the formerly below the table payments are now something to brag about and use as a recruiting tool.

We can either tell the NCAA 'g'bye' and move on, or seek punishment in an effort at absolution, while the Gumps and their peers move on and exploit the new system for all its worth.

Nick Saban reveals Alabama QB Bryce Young has earned 'ungodly numbers' in income from NIL deals (msn.com)

For all the folks in here so eager to finish gutting our program in a well-intentioned but misguided need for the moral high ground,, here is Saban himself sending a clear message that the formerly below the table payments are now something to brag about and use as a recruiting tool.

We can either tell the NCAA 'g'bye' and move on, or seek punishment in an effort at absolution, while the Gumps and their peers move on and exploit the new system for all its worth.

Nick Saban reveals Alabama QB Bryce Young has earned 'ungodly numbers' in income from NIL deals (msn.com)
Profiting off your likeness wasn’t the “under the table” machinations that helped build Saban’s empire. What Pruitt and Nieds were doing…were.

Reactions: volsfan_17
The laws/ rules are not grandfathered.

I don't know what this is suppose to me, its not really a choice. The laws I am talking about are federal and state antitrust and racketeering laws.

The ability of the NCAA to enforcement of any "rule" based on compensation is over, which is why the NCAA is now floating the idea that there will be split.

Reactions: lukeneyland
The UT administrations have all been national champions at self flagellation. It is time to act like and win like our competitors. They would have been better off to just fire Pruitt, pay him and move on. Building up your case against yourself is just pure stupidity.
Seems like a horribly short sighted attempt to save having to pay the buy out

Except for MSU, every SEC school is actually ranked in the top 200 universities (MSU #206). 5 of the 14 are top 100 schools and 3 are even top 50.

Academically, SEC can hold its own despite some people’s perceptions. I can go deeper, SEC has some of the best business, journalism, engineer, etc schools in the country.
Journalism is a joke degree now, ought to rename it to propaganda dissemination degree

Profiting off your likeness wasn’t the “under the table” machinations that helped build Saban’s empire. What Pruitt and Nieds were doing…were.

Dude. The under the table payments are going to morph into over the table 'likeness' payments. Hell, it takes about 5 minutes to game the system out that way. Is the payment for 'likeness'?? In some cases, maybe, but in most its a BS contract in order to get cash from the booster to the athlete in a now acceptable manner. It's really not that hard.

The possibility of the NCAA or SEC trying to determine whether or not 'likeness' was actually the motivation for the contract is ridiculous. If it meets the form test, it's going to fly.

Saban has already figured this out. Will we?? Likely no. We will be too busy making sure we are suitably punished for past transgressions that have now moved into the light with a veneer of respectability.

Dude. The under the table payments are going to morph into over the table 'likeness' payments. Hell, it takes about 5 minutes to game the system out that way. Is the payment for 'likeness'?? In some cases, maybe, but in most its a BS contract in order to get cash from the booster to the athlete in a now acceptable manner. It's really not that hard.

The possibility of the NCAA or SEC trying to determine whether or not 'likeness' was actually the motivation for the contract is ridiculous. If it meets the form test, it's going to fly.

Saban has already figured this out. Will we?? Likely no. We will be too busy making sure we are suitably punished for past transgressions that have now moved into the light with a veneer of respectability.
DUDE? It was straight up CASH PAYMENTS! No pretense. It’s something that still isn’t allowed and if you have a whistleblower (like we did), you’re going to get in trouble. We already have athletes cashing in on the NIL…whenever you wanna sit up from your fetal position in the shower. It’s going to be fun around here…whether you’re around or not.

DUDE? It was straight up CASH PAYMENTS! No pretense. It’s something that still isn’t allowed and if you have a whistleblower (like we did), you’re going to get in trouble. We already have athletes cashing in on the NIL…whenever you wanna sit up from your fetal position in the shower. It’s going to be fun around here…whether you’re around or not.

That bolded part literally made no sense. Fetal position in the shower? I'm the one telling the NCAA to [expletive deleted].

"CASH PAYMENTS!" in the future (and the present, for that matter, Bama is off to a flying start) will take the form of NIL 'likeness contracts', whereby Good Old Bama Boy Motors engages Mr. Blue Chip as their official spokesperson for 2024, instead of the owner of Good Old Bama Boy Motors, Bubba McRichGump, handing cash to Buford McBagMan to give to the recruit. May have to gross it up a bit to take care of income taxes to Mr. Blue Chip, but fundamentally there is no difference.

So...I guess if the pretense really matters to you, then I see a difference. Otherwise? Not so much, except for the income inclusion.

VN Store

Back