Harrison Bailey talks about Heupel’s offense

Let's not just coast right over that shot that HB took at someone late in the article. Could've been JG, although I have a feeling it was more likely Shrout. It was interesting though for sure.
Screamed JG to me…if it truly was anything. Shrout never really got an opportunity so “acting different when coaches were around” didn’t work…unlike JG who was championed.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
i think UCF averaged about 85-86 plays a game last yr. Its going to be fun when it gets humming especially with the types of athletes you can get in the SEC. Alabama, Clemson, Ole Miss, UCF and a few others were right at the top in total plays last yr and Bama only ran about 50 more plays than UCF in 2020 even while playing 13 games to UCFs 10. This offense doesnt mess around. So glad i dont have to watch that Pruitt/Chaney thing anymore. Tennessee ran 200 less plays than UCF while also playing 10 games. Boy its about to be different.
Not to be a Debbie downer but running this type of offense isn't without drawbacks. The defense tends to be left out on the field all day when the offense can't get it going.

Reactions: VolNash17
I hope Bailey or whoever puts up great #’s , but If that’s the case, we really need Drew Lock to have a big year for the Broncos. Those were mostly very good college QBs that you listed , but that success hasn’t really translated to success in the League for any of them.
Who cares? Heupel doesn't coach in the NFL.

Who cares? Heupel doesn't coach in the NFL.
Recruits and their parents care because they care about getting the best possible preparation for the NFL. Big time high school prospects want to go to a place or coach that has a great track record of getting guys to the NFL. Right now when we go into living rooms and we’re fighting recruiting battles with Clemson, Bama, Ole Miss, etc… we’re facing an up hill battle because they all have coaches that have put QB’s in the NFL at a high rate recently.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Recruits and their parents care because they care about getting the best possible preparation for the NFL. Big time high school prospects want to go to a place or coach that has a great track record of getting guys to the NFL. Right now when we go into living rooms and we’re fighting recruiting battles with Clemson, Bama, Ole Miss, etc… we’re facing an up hill battle because they all have coaches that have put QB’s in the NFL at a high rate recently.
I want a coach who makes the QB the best he can possibly be at UT. I don't care if they play in the NFL. Urban Meyer QB's flopped in the NFL, but they were very well coached in college.

Reactions: Alto1
Not to be a Debbie downer but running this type of offense isn't without drawbacks. The defense tends to be left out on the field all day when the offense can't get it going.
It also puts pressure on opposing offenses…which leads to mistakes, rushed execution and reasonably quick 3 and outs. We’ve been on that end way too often. It’s why I lean towards us having better talent on defense than is credited. Wheels didn’t go completely off until the second half of the UGA game when it became reality that they weren’t going to get any help on the scoreboard.

That's a risk and a reasonable concern. Matching Heupel's O with an aggressive D like they've said they're going to do won't likely produce good defensive stats. It would seem to be a formula for either getting big defensive plays and stops or giving up big plays.

There are people who disagree over how much last year should be considered when evaluating Heupel. But UCF's scoring D in the previous two years was actually pretty good.

Their stats back up that "big play D" idea. In those two years, they were near the top of their conference in TFL's, INT's, fumbles forced, turnover margin, etc. They took more risks than traditionalists like Pruitt.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I want a coach who makes the QB the best he can possibly be at UT. I don't care if they play in the NFL. Urban Meyer QB's flopped in the NFL, but they were very well coached in college.

one name

two words

Casey Clausen - without the NFL part happening

Bama’s offense doesn’t run too much tempo whatsoever. They were really far down in terms of Plays per game and have been for along time. Now since 2014 they are 19-7 vs teams in the Top 50 in plays per game whereas they are 72-1 vs teams outside the Top 50 in plays per game. It really affects their defense tremendously even with lesser talent on the other team (Ole Miss) 2014, 2015, last season etc. Should be fun Go Vols!

I made this point last week. The Freeze/Malzahn/Kiffin scheme does have some level of success against him verses a traditional offense.

Reactions: VolNash17
I'm thinking it's either HB or Milton. I'm just happy to see this level of competition at QB. UT benefits from this no matter who starts

Reactions: A.J.
Give me another Casey Clausen and that would be great.
I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, I’ll take another Casey Clausen in heartbeat. Clausen WAS A 5⭐️ following Peyton Manning and Tee Martin. His brother Jimmy went to Notre Dame because of Charlie Weis and his NFL pedigree. We don’t get the 5 stars without these guys showing that they can help achieve the recruits dreams of reaching the NFL. That’s my whole point.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, I’ll take another Casey Clausen in heartbeat. Clausen WAS A 5⭐️ following Peyton Manning and Tee Martin. His brother Jimmy went to Notre Dame because of Charlie Weis and his NFL pedigree. We don’t get the 5 stars without these guys showing that they can help achieve the recruits dreams of reaching the NFL. That’s my whole point.
My point is that coaches like Urban Meyer gets the QB that he wants, even though they don't always make it big in the NFL. Meyer maximized their college production. I would love for every TN QB to be a high draft pick and play 10 years in the league. But I would like just as much for them to have great college production, whether that leads to the NFL or not.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back