Harrison Bailey talks about Heupel’s offense

Win or lose….it is easier to watch your team lose when they’ve put up 35 points vs just being beaten like a dog by 35 only after scoring 9.

UCF had the 4th best passing offense 357yds/game, 25th best rush offense 210 yds/game, 8th best scoring offense 42.2 pts/game last season with only 10 games played in a Covid season.

If Elarbee gets our OL in sync…just to be able to handle/play at the level of Vandy, UK, Mizzu, gameCocks, Pitt, BG, Tennessee Tech, South Alabama, and Ole Miss…we might surprise many…including in this fan base.
Those bemoaning our talent level really must disregard the value of game planning, adjustments and competent schemes. Even with the unimaginative standing in quicksand philosophy of the last 3 seasons, players like Marquez Calloway, Jauan Jennings, Palmer and Jalin Hyatt would flat out depants their coverage and make the (occasional) big play. Placing fast, physical or both types of athletes in space with a clue promises production…tried and true.

Maybe. We don't know who it's gonna be. Everyone needs to keep their powder dry and not add to the creation of a QB controversy.
We have no effect. You’ve been yapping about this or that ever since I’ve been on this board and not one single result was borne from it. 😏

I agree. However, recruiting is big tool as well. I think it would be easy to recruit against us when you can say “Yeah Heupel’s QB’s put up great #’s in college, but he doesn’t prepare you for the next level.” I guarantee that’s something that would be used against us.
True, but a 3 win season is used against us in recruiting too! Hope Heupel can get us them wins then we’ll worry about path to the NFL.

Those bemoaning our talent level really must disregard the value of game planning, adjustments and competent schemes. Even with the unimaginative standing in quicksand philosophy of the last 3 seasons, players like Marquez Calloway, Jauan Jennings, Palmer and Jalin Hyatt would flat out depants their coverage and make the (occasional) big play. Placing fast, physical or both types of athletes in space with a clue promises production…tried and true.
This is exactly what I mean. We have plenty of weapons currently on this roster. Size, speed, strength…now we have an offensive staff that flat out knows how to get it done w/game planning, schemes, personnel, and in game adjustments. When kids are having fun and tasting success they tend to compete harder. Not getting beaten by 35 points with scoring a TD and missing 3 FGs in the same game.

The previous staff had ZERO clue what to do during a game…especially in the second half. Pruitt had every player/coach wound up so tight we could have turned Neyland Stadium into a diamond factory with enough coal. This is why the 2016 #14, #2017 #17, 2018 #21, 2019 #13 ranked recruiting classes look like the athletes in each class should have been scored in the 40-50 range. Then he kept going with the most turnover prone QB I’ve ever watched in my 45 yrs….these poor super talented WRs were just out training their cardio each game running routes.

Milton had a lot of opportunities out of the portal, he did not have to come to TN nor did he come to be 3-4th string QB. Heupel promised him the opportunity to win the starting job. Agree he has to win it but just saying he was not brought in as a security backup QB.

Reactions: tbones0711
This is exactly what I mean. We have plenty of weapons currently on this roster. Size, speed, strength…now we have an offensive staff that flat out knows how to get it done w/game planning, schemes, personnel, and in game adjustments. When kids are having fun and tasting success they tend to compete harder. Not getting beaten by 35 points with scoring a TD and missing 3 FGs in the same game.

The previous staff had ZERO clue what to do during a game…especially in the second half. Pruitt had every player/coach wound up so tight we could have turned Neyland Stadium into a diamond factory with enough coal. This is why the 2016 #14, #2017 #17, 2018 #21, 2019 #13 ranked recruiting classes look like the athletes in each class should have been scored in the 40-50 range. Then he kept going with the most turnover prone QB I’ve ever watched in my 45 yrs….these poor super talented WRs were just out training their cardio each game running routes.
The starting QB was JP’s greatest blunder. There’s no figuring that out. Too much football knowledge on that staff for one of them not to figure that out and say something. Probably the guy that got fired on the field mentioned it.

JG was better off the bench than as starter. Poor coaching is why the other QBs didn’t succeed. I take for granted that all of our QBs are directing their free time to football related matters. Same goes for the rest of the team. Free time = Football matters.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Maybe. We don't know who it's gonna be. Everyone needs to keep their powder dry and not add to the creation of a QB controversy.
We don't know who it's going to be for sure, but Milton is probably the most athletically gifted all around. That's not to say I think he should start. Like you said, I'm keeping my powder dry.

Milton had a lot of opportunities out of the portal, he did not have to come to TN nor did he come to be 3-4th string QB. Heupel promised him the opportunity to win the starting job. Agree he has to win it but just saying he was not brought in as a security backup QB.
None of that matters.

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
Okay you inserted "back up" into this conversation where it didn't previously exist. I'm saying Milton is probably overall the most athletically gifted. I think they'll all be given a legit shot to win the job by separating from the pack, but if they're all tied a week before the opener, the guy with the highest ceiling is probably who is trotting out there.

Okay you inserted "back up" into this conversation where it didn't previously exist. I'm saying Milton is probably overall the most athletically gifted. I think they'll all be given a legit shot to win the job by separating from the pack, but if they're all tied a week before the opener, the guy with the highest ceiling is probably who is trotting out there.
This “ceiling” thing? Is there a website I can track that or is it fan perception?

This “ceiling” thing? Is there a website I can track that or is it fan perception?
I'm sure the coaches will have an opinion on that. If no one has separated and they're all still essentially tied come September 2, it would be rational to play the player with the greatest potential and hope the light comes on. So far this coaching staff has seemed much more rational in their decision making than the last several regimes.

It all about proving he can win now. JH should trot out the guy that give us the best chance to win that week. If it turns out to be the wrong guy, next man up. There is no need with the talent at QB that changes won’t be made. Sure that some additional pressure on a QB, but if they don’t feed off the pressure then they are in for a rude awakening.

If I was a DC coaching against a new QB, I would send pressure consistently. Knocking him out before the game slows down for him. Football is a brutal sport and most fans have a great appreciation for a hard clean hit. Every body can’t be Eric Berry, some have to be the guy he’s about to destroy.

I'm sure the coaches will have an opinion on that. If no one has separated and they're all still essentially tied come September 2, it would be rational to play the player with the greatest potential and hope the light comes on. So far this coaching staff has seemed much more rational in their decision making than the last several regimes.
That’s the sticking point…”potential”. We all have different interpretations. I like the potential of a quarterback who looks a DB off and delivers it to a receiver in stride as opposed to one that murders lots of worms because his arm is elite. Milton picks up the offense and at worst matches the best decision maker then I’d go with him. If not, waiting for that light could cost you winnable games…see JG.

That’s the sticking point…”potential”. We all have different interpretations. I like the potential of a quarterback who looks a DB off and delivers it to a receiver in stride as opposed to one that murders lots of worms because his arm is elite. Milton picks up the offense and at worst matches the best decision maker then I’d go with him. If not, waiting for that light could cost you winnable games…see JG.
I just want us to play whoever is the best. I don't pick a horse when it comes to our players. As to the QB's, I've defended them all at one time or another. The only one I have any sort of negative opinion of is Maurer but that's just because he's made some bad choices regarding social media, but if he's the guy, he's the guy.

Somebody said Doug Matthews made the comment that Heupel brought Milton in for a reason and I agree with that. I think Heupel having recruited him before looks favorably on his skill set. That doesn't mean he's going to start but he's certainly got a chance, particularly if no one looks alot better than anyone else to the coaching staff come September. I'm sure Heupel would rather someone clearly separate, I'd think we all would. Bailey looked the best out of Maurer, Bailey and Hooker in the spring game but that was only a small part of everything the coaches saw the whole spring, so I don't think Bailey is a shoe in to start like some do, but at least the spring game put an end to the ridiculous narrative that Bailey had a weak arm.

Win or lose….it is easier to watch your team lose when they’ve put up 35 points vs just being beaten like a dog by 35 only after scoring 9.

UCF had the 4th best passing offense 357yds/game, 25th best rush offense 210 yds/game, 8th best scoring offense 42.2 pts/game last season with only 10 games played in a Covid season.

If Elarbee gets our OL in sync…just to be able to handle/play at the level of Vandy, UK, Mizzu, gameCocks, Pitt, BG, Tennessee Tech, South Alabama, and Ole Miss…we might surprise many…including in this fan base.

[what follows is not an indictment of Derelick's post... but more an observation of a wider phenomenon]

WARNING: Mid-summer expectations for the Fall season are beginning their subtle, annual rise.

July's "ifs" build into August's "shoulds," which will start to wobble with September's first "but wait, wasn't everybody saying..." which inevitably tumbles into October's "why can't Tennessee every do anything right?" "Fahr 'em" and "the media does this to us every preseason, building up our hopes, just to dash 'em!"

VFLs, we do this to ourselves, saying and writing things because they generate that nostalgic excitement inside. What we're actually doing is using our own words to turn the faucet for those football anticipating endorphins to flood our brains.

It's not that each summer half of Vol Nation slips on orange-tinted glasses... it's that we have orange-furred monkeys on our backs!

From that perspective, Nega-Vols might be recovering addicts who are entering the Maintaining Abstinence stage. Which would explain why they attack the sunshine-pumpers: the endor-fans' excitement is a threat to nega-vols' recovery. And likewise, nega-Vols are resented because they mess with sunshine fans' highs, shutting down their dopamine production with posts of pessimism (or realism).

Or maybe not.

Reactions: saxvol
I just want us to play whoever is the best. I don't pick a horse when it comes to our players. As to the QB's, I've defended them all at one time or another. The only one I have any sort of negative opinion of is Maurer but that's just because he's made some bad choices regarding social media, but if he's the guy, he's the guy.

Somebody said Doug Matthews made the comment that Heupel brought Milton in for a reason and I agree with that. I think Heupel having recruited him before looks favorably on his skill set. That doesn't mean he's going to start but he's certainly got a chance, particularly if no one looks alot better than anyone else to the coaching staff come September. I'm sure Heupel would rather someone clearly separate, I'd think we all would. Bailey looked the best out of Maurer, Bailey and Hooker in the spring game but that was only a small part of everything the coaches saw the whole spring, so I don't think Bailey is a shoe in to start like some do, but at least the spring game put an end to the ridiculous narrative that Bailey had a weak arm.
Not flaming you, but it’s a VN bullet point how Doug Mathews becomes wiser when he issues a point some agree with. No issue with any other point you made, but why wouldn’t the “reason” be that Heupel knows offense and multiple options are never a bad thing…rather than accepting a transfer is a coronation?

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Not flaming you, but it’s a VN bullet point how Doug Mathews becomes wiser when he issues a point some agree with. No issue with any other point you made, but why wouldn’t the “reason” be that Heupel knows offense and multiple options are never a bad thing…rather than accepting a transfer is a coronation?
I don't think it's a coronation, I just think Milton's going to have a real shot. Based on the Spring game, I'd say Bailey's got the inside tract overall, but again we only saw a piece of the whole and Milton was brought in after that, which is curious, I don't think he was promised the job, but I suspect he was promised a truly open competition for it.

I don't think it's a coronation, I just think Milton's going to have a real shot. Based on the Spring game, I'd say Bailey's got the inside tract overall, but again we only saw a piece of the whole and Milton was brought in after that, which is curious, I don't think he was promised the job, but I suspect he was promised a truly open competition for it.
Not even the staunchest Bailey supporters (in an honest moment) rule out Milton. Milton was already on campus for the O&W game and I doubt Spring practice results moved the needle any further on that decision than when when Milton entered the portal. Heupel was always going to bring him in. Probable that 1-2 transfer after the starter is named and Salter was an unknown factor.

[what follows is not an indictment of Derelick's post... but more an observation of a wider phenomenon]

WARNING: Mid-summer expectations for the Fall season are beginning their subtle, annual rise.

July's "ifs" build into August's "shoulds," which will start to wobble with September's first "but wait, wasn't everybody saying..." which inevitably tumbles into October's "why can't Tennessee every do anything right?" "Fahr 'em" and "the media does this to us every preseason, building up our hopes, just to dash 'em!"

VFLs, we do this to ourselves, saying and writing things because they generate that nostalgic excitement inside. What we're actually doing is using our own words to turn the faucet for those football anticipating endorphins to flood our brains.

It's not that each summer half of Vol Nation slips on orange-tinted glasses... it's that we have orange-furred monkeys on our backs!

From that perspective, Nega-Vols might be recovering addicts who are entering the Maintaining Abstinence stage. Which would explain why they attack the sunshine-pumpers: the endor-fans' excitement is a threat to nega-vols' recovery. And likewise, nega-Vols are resented because they mess with sunshine fans' highs, shutting down their dopamine production with posts of pessimism (or realism).

Or maybe not.
Allz I know is that we haven’t had an elite playcaller who could make in-game adjustments since Kiffin or a competent one since DeBord. What Chaney threw on the field against Arkansas lost any standing respect I had for him and I don’t excuse it because of Pruitt’s micromanaging. He had a guaranteed contract so basically writing off his brand betrayed his slovenly fall. Other teams strategy was to wait for us to give the game to them and give up…only Vandy couldn’t capitalize by the end of the season.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Allz I know is that we haven’t had an elite playcaller who could make in-game adjustments since Kiffin or a competent one since DeBord. What Chaney threw on the field against Arkansas lost any standing respect I had for him and I don’t excuse it because of Pruitt’s micromanaging. He had a guaranteed contract so basically writing off his brand betrayed his slovenly fall. Other teams strategy was to wait for us to give the game to them and give up…only Vandy couldn’t capitalize by the end of the season.

I've often wondered about that. Why (after our glory years) we seemed incapable of making successful halftime adjustments?

First, I doubt that coaches at that level of experience do not see and understand what's happening on the field, and even know what adjustments need be to made. That's done by coaches at the high school level.

If so, then I here's three possible explanations for our perennial inability to make the second half ours.

1) The coaches you named were unskilled at quickly & effectively communicating to the players during halftime, how the needed adjustments should be implemented.

2) The players we were able to recruit, even if physically gifted, skilled, and committed... were not mentally equipped with either a high football IQ, or the cognitive abilities to quickly grasp and adjust to something different from what they had been practicing.

3) Our coaches were good, but predictable, so that our opponents were also making halftime adjustments to counter the specific changes they expected from our coaches. Checkers vs chess.

Thoughts from the couch. Maybe others can offer more explanations.
-------
*4) Maybe the best teams get good enough at fundamentals and game prep, that their coaches can devote more practice time to the adjustments they might call at halftime. That's the kind of thing a team can do when it has continuity, like plenty of seniors who have been playing for the same coaches--or, at least, coordinators--throughout their career.

Coaching continuity is definitely something Tennessee enjoyed in those recent glory years.

Reactions: butchna

CJH also recruited Maurer.🤷🏼‍♂️

Interviewer: What are looking forward to most?

Bailey: “Scoring points.”

I think most would agree with that statement.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Let's not just coast right over that shot that HB took at someone late in the article. Could've been JG, although I have a feeling it was more likely Shrout. It was interesting though for sure.

VN Store

Back