Tennessee Lady Vol News

Rickster my friend, you are off on KS......By the 4th game this girl will be at, or near, double offensive points per game....

Coach Kellie will see she is a difference maker and will design plays for her to dominate from the four position.....Hell, she could float out to the Justine line and bomb 3 balls all night long.

The girl came here to make a difference.....She will do just that.
9644675.jpg
dam right GT!

Reactions: GameTime
Just like Jeremy Pruitt after his second season! Smart...

200.gif

Kelly's extension and Pruitt's are not even a stretch comparison. Kelly has the program moving in the right direction and has good team chemistry. Pruitt's team was a dumpster fire and his extension was Fulmer trying to make himself look good that he hired the right FB coach. Note: he also gave himself a raise and extension at the same time. That tells you all you need to know about the 2 situations.

Kelly's extension and Pruitt's are not even a stretch comparison. Kelly has the program moving in the right direction and has good team chemistry. Pruitt's team was a dumpster fire and his extension was Fulmer trying to make himself look good that he hired the right FB coach. Note: he also gave himself a raise and extension at the same time. That tells you all you need to know about the 2 situations.

Nothing like a little revisionist history. Pruitt's team showed significant improvement in his second season, finishing with six straight victories which included a bowl win. He also had a top 10 recruiting class coming in. When he signed the extension, the program was absolutely trending in a positive direction. Then his third season happened...

I think White did the right thing giving all the present coaches extensions. They may not all succeed, but you have to put them in a position to succeed. This meaning when they go recruit the players they are recruiting know they are going to be there for the length of time they are there. He was careful to make it four years for almost everybody. This gives these coaches the chance to tell recruits you come play here you will be playing for me.

Nothing like a little revisionist history. Pruitt's team showed significant improvement in his second season, finishing with six straight victories which included a bowl win. He also had a top 10 recruiting class coming in. When he signed the extension, the program was absolutely trending in a positive direction. Then his third season happened...

You are right about Pruitt's extension happening after a rebound season, then it went in the tank. But Kelly has beaten the best in the SEC, and has a three seeding in the conference tournament, so she has one of the best programs in the conference. Pruitt could never say that, even after his second season.

You are right about Pruitt's extension happening after a rebound season, then it went in the tank. But Kelly has beaten the best in the SEC, and has a three seeding in the conference tournament, so she has one of the best programs in the conference. Pruitt could never say that, even after his second season.

She also underperformed in the NCAA tournament and hasn't proven she can recruit at an elite level. She still had three years left on her first contract. Whether you think Kellie will be the answer here or not, there is no logical reason to extend her at this point...

She also underperformed in the NCAA tournament and hasn't proven she can recruit at an elite level. She still had three years left on her first contract. Whether you think Kellie will be the answer here or not, there is no logical reason to extend her at this point...

Then, there's the illogical reason of give her a full opportunity of time,,,she only now has the staff that is proving to do those very things
oh and,
Party on Darth.png

Reactions: Lady Vol Guru

So, to pick at some inconsistent nits, if recruiting at an elite level is the (or a) test, then maybe Pruitt did deserve an extension? ;)

Logically, there is merit in what you say, of course. But this is show business, not real business, and it is not necessarily logical. In a business logical sense, how many of these sports bring in enough money to justify staff salaries and guaranteed contracts? For example, UT is about to put 30 million bucks into a new baseball facility in addition to a lot more in salaries. Will that be logically justified in a bottom line business sense?

The Michigan game was one game (as was the SC game), and she hasn't proven yet that she cannot attract elite talent. And she is finding very good talent on the recruiting trail. So, I don't have an objection to an extension. I don't think it's a big deal one way or the other. I think it's more a case of the AD flexing his muscles and defining his Kingdom, which is a good thing.

So, to pick at some inconsistent nits, if recruiting at an elite level is the (or a) test, then maybe Pruitt did deserve an extension? ;)

Ding ding, that's the point. Pruitt, like Kellie, clearly checked off some important boxes but was still unproven in others. Maybe throwing out extensions after TWO seasons without a little more time to prove themselves in more facets isn't such a good idea? Maybe that line of thinking is why UT athletics is in the shape it's in? Again, Kellie still had three more years on her contract. And she's at her dream job, it's not like she's going anywhere.

Logically, there is merit in what you say, of course. But this is show business, not real business, and it is not necessarily logical. In a business logical sense, how many of these sports bring in enough money to justify staff salaries and guaranteed contracts? For example, UT is about to put 30 million bucks into a new baseball facility in addition to a lot more in salaries. Will that be logically justified in a bottom line business sense?

Vitello's team just won the SEC East, got to the SEC Championship game, made it to the World Series, and generated excitement for a program that's been lacking for decades. THAT'S a coach who deserves an extension. Especially since, unlike Kellie, elite programs (like LSU) are going to be coming after him...

Ding ding, that's the point. Pruitt, like Kellie, clearly checked off some important boxes but was still unproven in others. Maybe throwing out extensions after TWO seasons without a little more time to prove themselves in more facets isn't such a good idea? Maybe that line of thinking is why UT athletics is in the shape it's in? Again, Kellie still had three more years on her contract. And she's at her dream job, it's not like she's going anywhere.

Vitello's team just won the SEC East, got to the SEC Championship game, made it to the World Series, and generated excitement for a program that's been lacking for decades. THAT'S a coach who deserves an extension. Especially since, unlike Kellie, elite programs (like LSU) are going to be coming after him...

Again, there is logic in what you say. Valid reasons not to extend her. But you keep expecting things in show business to be all logical. They aren't. Let me refer you to Clint Eastwood's line in "Unforgiven": "Deserve's got nothin to do with it."

Reactions: mlindsay

I know that Darth but I believe Puitt's team in year 2 was a dumpster fire masked by winning 6 games against teams no better than they were and his extension was all about Fulmer getting one for himself. I was hoping Pruitt had turned it around but others with better knowledge were saying there were underlying problems bubbling up. I don't see or hear those kinds of issues with Kelly's team.

I see the reasoning behind the extension as another poster said stability is something recruits look for. Was it warranted maybe in some ways there was improvement in other ways there were regressions. Maybe could have waited one more year to see if Davis was the reason for some good wins last year or if it was better coaching. As for the baseball coach I am sure he was about to get lured away. Kelly not to that point yet.

underperformed because Rennia was playing with a stress fracture in her foot

Jay Johnson is going to be sorely disappointed and dismayed to learn that LSU is now "going to be coming after Vitello"...without even allowing Johnson to coach a single game.

Tough A.D. to please in Cajun Land.

I know that Darth but I believe Puitt's team in year 2 was a dumpster fire masked by winning 6 games against teams no better than they were and his extension was all about Fulmer getting one for himself. I was hoping Pruitt had turned it around but others with better knowledge were saying there were underlying problems bubbling up. I don't see or hear those kinds of issues with Kelly's team.

There probably were underlying problems, but you still can't characterize that season as a "dumpster fire." Granted it looked that way early with the embarrassing season opening loss to Georgia St. followed by the OT loss to BYU. Still, they rallied to finish a respectable 3rd in the East (after being picked to finish 5th in the preseason), won a bowl game, and managed to land an impressive recruiting class. The lovefest for Pruitt and Fulmer was at a fever pitch by the end of the season. Congratulations if you thought the extension was a mistake, you were in the vast minority at the time.

The bottom line is two seasons isn't enough of a sample size to validate long term fit. If people want to vilify me for dumping on poor Kellie, whatever. I'm not saying she will or won't be the right coach to lead this program long term. I'm saying it's too early to know either way, for ANYONE to know, which makes this extension absurd...

Oh yeah? Guess who isn't on the team anymore?

If it was a competitive game I might buy that excuse. They got their a$$es kicked...

Yep, Darth, just like the men's team got dog whipped by O St. in March. So, here's my larger point to you again, using Coach Barnes: This college athletics business doesn't make logical sense.

Rick's been making final four money for a while even though he hadn't come close to sniffing a final four. And his underperformance in the ncaa tourney is at Tennessee what it was at Texas, or worse. He has yet to win an outright conference championship of any kind nor gone further than the SS in the tourney in his years at Tennessee. And yet he was just given a big raise to keep him among the very top men's coaches and an extension. He's begun recruiting at a very high level, but that hasn't translated to anything but disappointment so far. So, does that raise and extension make any logical sense by your criteria? No.

So, are you singling out Kellie for extensions that don't make sense? If so, why single her out?

VN Store

Back