Friday weigh in thread (suns out guns out challenge 8/30/24)

I'm gonna have to tweak something. I gained back 1.6# last week and I'm still up by 1# this week. My diet/food log is still good, I'm still maintaining my targets. I have noticed though that my walking/ workout isn't the same. Due to circumstances I get most of my walking in during breaks at work. When I first started out I'd hit my target heart rate for fat burning before I made it halfway across the parking lot. In a 10 minute walk I'd have 9 minutes in zone. Now I do a .6 mile loop in about 12 minutes and my heartrate never gets there anymore. I've tried adding short jogging intervals, and they do get the heartrate up and my walking can maintain it up there. The problem is I'm still to heavy to to do that, even with only 3-4 short 30 second intervals my knees are in agony afterwards. I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to do to get the intensity back.

I'm gonna have to tweak something. I gained back 1.6# last week and I'm still up by 1# this week. My diet/food log is still good, I'm still maintaining my targets. I have noticed though that my walking/ workout isn't the same. Due to circumstances I get most of my walking in during breaks at work. When I first started out I'd hit my target heart rate for fat burning before I made it halfway across the parking lot. In a 10 minute walk I'd have 9 minutes in zone. Now I do a .6 mile loop in about 12 minutes and my heartrate never gets there anymore. I've tried adding short jogging intervals, and they do get the heartrate up and my walking can maintain it up there. The problem is I'm still to heavy to to do that, even with only 3-4 short 30 second intervals my knees are in agony afterwards. I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to do to get the intensity back.
It's improvement is what it is, your cardio health is getting better. Instead of jogging, do you have access to a stationary bike? Or maybe try something like a longer hike twice a week rather than intensity all at once.

I used to run a lot, but it hurts my knees so bad from my years of catching (baseball) and football that I rarely run on pavement anymore- only on trails. Most of my cardio is on a stationary bike, which was a great investment.

Alternatively, if you have dumbbells or can get them, heavy weightlifting can get that heartrate up especially with limited breaks.

I'm with @ButchPlz switch it up. Different exercises can get your heart rate up in different ways. Heck, I did a workout yesterday that used light weights in order to build balance and control. My HR and sweat were similar to cardio workouts.

It's improvement is what it is, your cardio health is getting better. Instead of jogging, do you have access to a stationary bike? Or maybe try something like a longer hike twice a week rather than intensity all at once.

I used to run a lot, but it hurts my knees so bad from my years of catching (baseball) and football that I rarely run on pavement anymore- only on trails. Most of my cardio is on a stationary bike, which was a great investment.

Alternatively, if you have dumbbells or can get them, heavy weightlifting can get that heartrate up especially with limited breaks.
Yeah I knew I'd improve, but wasn't expecting it that quickly. I've started trying to get out hiking more, but it's getting to that miserable time of the year even going in the morning or evening the heat and humidity is horrendous. I've got a resistance band set we set up at work on my shift that we all use. It goes up to 150# and I'm working on fitting it in to my break schedule. Once I get my truck fixed to where I trust it I plan on driving up into the mtns where I can get to cooler temperatures for some hikes.

Yeah I knew I'd improve, but wasn't expecting it that quickly. I've started trying to get out hiking more, but it's getting to that miserable time of the year even going in the morning or evening the heat and humidity is horrendous. I've got a resistance band set we set up at work on my shift that we all use. It goes up to 150# and I'm working on fitting it in to my break schedule. Once I get my truck fixed to where I trust it I plan on driving up into the mtns where I can get to cooler temperatures for some hikes.
Our bodies improve so fast once you get to something and do it consistently. It always blows my mind how fast we adapt. I'm of the opinion that unless you're going for something specific- certain muscle structure, capability to run a marathon, etc.- it doesn't really matter what exercise you do as long as you're doing exercise.

I just watched a podcast of longevity. Bike riding is considered an excellent exercise for extending life expectancy

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I just watched a podcast of longevity. Bike riding is considered an excellent exercise for extending life expectancy
I'd guess it's because it's relatively low impact, it's good cardio, and it's a pretty joyful activity if you're getting to do it outside!

I'd guess it's because it's relatively low impact, it's good cardio, and it's a pretty joyful activity if you're getting to do it outside!
I'm looking forward to when I can fit on my bike again. Right now I feel like I'd warp the wheels at best or snap it in two at worst. I used to enjoy riding when I was younger.

I have been working hard on the weights the last five or six months, mainly just enjoying seeing what different types of exercise do for me. The picture with the red shirt is a year or so ago, when I was doing a lot more bodyweight exercise, running, etc.- almost more like crossfit type stuff. The left is yesterday after my morning lift.

IMG_20210709_112543.jpg

I'm with @ButchPlz switch it up. Different exercises can get your heart rate up in different ways. Heck, I did a workout yesterday that used light weights in order to build balance and control. My HR and sweat were similar to cardio workouts.
HIIT weight lifting or some other HIIT cardio may be beneficial from a time standpoint. Two or three 15 minute high intensity events a day may be more productive then a single 45 minute or hour long session.

I have been working hard on the weights the last five or six months, mainly just enjoying seeing what different types of exercise do for me. The picture with the red shirt is a year or so ago, when I was doing a lot more bodyweight exercise, running, etc.- almost more like crossfit type stuff. The left is yesterday after my morning lift.

View attachment 379689
Definitely a big change. Do you mind me asking what your lifting workouts are, # of days, lower and upper body # of days, etc ?

Reactions: ButchPlz
Definitely a big change. Do you mind me asking what your lifting workouts are, # of days, lower and upper body # of days, etc ?
I've done a couple of routines, but my goal is to build with only the equipment I already have- two old Gold's Gym adjustable dumbbells and an iron gym. When I get home I'll send a picture of the workouts I started with earlier this year, as they're written in a notebook.

As I've gotten stronger it's all been about technique and lifting slowly and deliberately to keep my muscles engaged longer. It's kind of humbling to be lifting heavier dumbbells on one routine then switching and having to go back down on the weights but using good technique has changed my whole outlook on it. This is the latest one I've been doing: The Dumbbell Workout Plan To Build Muscle At Home

I did it one cycle through, and since I'm traveling a lot I'm just keeping at the first round level (4x10) the last couple weeks. When I get back from Oregon I'll go for a second round through it then find another routine.

Long story short I do four days a week of lifting.

I've done a couple of routines, but my goal is to build with only the equipment I already have- two old Gold's Gym adjustable dumbbells and an iron gym. When I get home I'll send a picture of the workouts I started with earlier this year, as they're written in a notebook.

As I've gotten stronger it's all been about technique and lifting slowly and deliberately to keep my muscles engaged longer. It's kind of humbling to be lifting heavier dumbbells on one routine then switching and having to go back down on the weights but using good technique has changed my whole outlook on it. This is the latest one I've been doing: The Dumbbell Workout Plan To Build Muscle At Home

I did it one cycle through, and since I'm traveling a lot I'm just keeping at the first round level (4x10) the last couple weeks. When I get back from Oregon I'll go for a second round through it then find another routine.

Long story short I do four days a week of lifting.
Thanks. I’ll look at the dumbbell workout.

VN Store

Back