7. Vanderbilt

1. Alabama
  2. A&M
  3. Auburn
  4. Ole Miss
  5. Arkansas
  6. Mississippi State
  7. LSU
So in the East last year he overrated us by 2 spots and underrated Missouri by 3. The rest of the teams were on point or within 1 spot of where he predicted.

In the West he overrated LSU by 4 but everyone else was on point or within 1 spot of where he predicted.

So applying those odds from last year, there is a 78% chance (11/14) we will end up within 1 spot of where he has us ranked. Probably pretty close to that.

The thing I am really interested in is the 247 team talent composite rankings for 2021 when they come out. We were No. 15 last year. I think it's a given we go down, it's just a question of how far. If we've gotten more out of the Portal than we've lost as some contend we should rise though.

Respect your optimism, but I just don't see it. No other SEC team has been as negatively effected by the transfer portal, the loss of key players in our last recruiting class, plus a new system for the players. I wouldn't be surprised to see us dead last, unfortunately.

I actually think the previous system, with its ridiculous complexity and accompanying coaching tantrums for every mistake, has been holding back our athletes from competing. We have been losing the mental game every game for the past 4 years. I think the new system, far from being a negative this year, will be a boon to the guys. Why? Easy to execute, quick reads that are often simple binary choices, and the confidence that comes from knowing your coach won't unfairly chew your @$$ for mistakes. That's why I'm hoping for 7 or 8 wins (great season). 9 wins would qualify Heupel for COTY and I'm not predicting it but I don't think it's impossible. 6 wins will make me feel okay, like we're going in the right direction. 5 or less will disappoint me this year. All I'm saying is...respect my optimism too! I'm in that camp as well. :) [And feel free to bump this post in November if I'm right or I'm wrong!] GBO, let's surprise some people, including the experts like Steele!

So in the East last year he overrated us by 2 spots and underrated Missouri by 3. The rest of the teams were on point or within 1 spot of where he predicted.

In the West he overrated LSU by 4 but everyone else was on point or within 1 spot of where he predicted.

So applying those odds from last year, there is a 78% chance (11/14) we will end up within 1 spot of where he has us ranked. Probably pretty close to that.

The thing I am really interested in is the 247 team talent composite rankings for 2021 when they come out. We were No. 15 last year. I think it's a given we go down, it's just a question of how far. If we've gotten more out of the Portal than we've lost as some contend we should rise though.

I mean, in predictions, you are either correct, or you aren't; being off by 1 spot or more, is still being incorrect.

I disagree I know Florida lost a lot but I think Georgia is going to field another weak offense not much better than last year's. Florida's will be better than theirs

I think GAs WRs are over hyped and their OL has a question mark or two but their QB and RBs are solid. FL lost far more star power than GA too without the quality depth.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I also think their new OC will be another dud like James Coley
They don't have a new OC and they were better on offense with that midget QB last year than they were the year before under Coley with Jake Fromm and D'Andre Swift. Todd Monken is a good OC. I'm not saying UGA is going to win the natty or even the SEC but they are going to be alot better than Florida. UGA will win 11-12 games again, counting the bowl. Florida had 4 losses last year with a much better roster. They will trend down this year.

Yeah but Mullen is a QB guy I think he'll have Emory Jones playing well. If he gets hurt I don't know
Emory Jones looked awful against OU. I think Anthony Richardson will be starting by mid season. Florida will win 9-10 games counting the bowl but they will get smashed by Bama and UGA and anyone else they play who is legit good.

I agree. This past season/off-season will haunt UT for years. I haven't kept up with everything, this is the least excited I've been for UT football in 30 years, but turning in former coaches to the ncaa and allowing them to investigate can only lead to the hammer. Not to mention negative recruiting while the ncaa takes its time. I'm afraid its going to take time and a top notch HC to turn this suicidal program around.....so yeah I see us finishing dead last.
I understand your point but I really don’t see us last

Georgia is going to murder Florida this year. Florida is ranked 27 overall by Steele, they lost alot too, people don't realize, you've been psyched out by Jaws' nonsense. UGA will lose to Bama in the SEC championship game (again).

The air goes out of UGA's balloon first game of the season with Clemson. Clemson works them over, they are out of the NC hunt and will probably drop a couple of SEC games one of which will be UF IMO.

Don't get me wrong I want Florida to lose every game lol. But I think Kirby is just dirtier Denfensive minded Mark Richt. He's an underachiever and I think Mullen will out coach him

I understand your point but I really don’t see us last
Seriously, as bad as we were last year, we still took Vandy to the woodshed. That program has fallen apart. Unless they magically find another Kyle Shurmer, they won't be a threat.

Don't get me wrong I want Florida to lose every game lol. But I think Kirby is just dirtier Denfensive minded Mark Richt. He's an underachiever and I think Mullen will out coach him
Mullen is 1-3 against Kirby as a head coach. I agree Kirby is a dirty bastard but I think he's a better coach than most on here give him credit for and Mark Richt won 75% of his career games. I'd kill for that right now.

The air goes out of UGA's balloon first game of the season with Clemson. Clemson works them over, they are out of the NC hunt and will probably drop a couple of SEC games one of which will be UF IMO.
Maybe. That'll be an interesting game. Historically UGA owns Clemson. I think whoever loses that game will stay in the playoff hunt for awhile. I suspect if UGA loses to Clemson, they will run the table, lose to Bama again in the SEC championship game, and then go to a consolation NY6 bowl that most of their players opt of. The usual, in other words.

Kentucky 3rd? Wow. They’ve had the team to beat us 4 years in a row. In no way would we keep a coach who is 49-50 after 8 years on the job. But Stoops has been able to slowly build a competitive program. He can recruit to a system and build a culture, and now they put more players in the NFL than us ☹️. Stoops started the same year as Jones, which seems like ages ago.

I’m truly baffled why S Carolina is rated above us, though. That’s a must win if we want bowl eligibility this year.

Last edited:
While I have openly expressed my displeasure with the Heupel hire, I’m 100% Vol. I only wish him and his staff the best.

After analyzing the spring game I think we have a legitimate shot at finishing 3rd in the east.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
I think this is gonna be a tough year...lots of new comers and even the veterans are learning a whole new system...I think we will definitely win 3 of 4 OOC games and might beat Pitt...In conference I think we will beat Vandy and USCe is very winnable...5-7 is my pick..6-6 and improving throughout the season would give me hope

VN Store

Back