NCAA agrees athletes can make money from their fame

I think the ability of players to make money other than signing day is very limited other than the star players. I mean, if you turn on your local channels you rarely see the local average joe Pro player is doing car dealership commercials if they are lucky. Nobody wants 99.9% of these kids in their ads.

This is a bit of a limited/outdated view given social media advertising opportunities, Cameo, and other online opportunities. Then there's NCAA Football royalties. One industry guy says he predicts 75% of these kids will make at least $2k a year. Not a ton, but it's a little side money for most these kids and more than I originally expected for 75% of kids. I do wonder how much will make, say, 12k+ enough to have federal income taxes due (not just SE tax) - I'm feeling much closer to 5% or less...just a guess.

His list of opportunities opened my eyes a bit, it's a nice twitter thread if you read it all:

Apparently congress is expected at some point to work with the NCAA on national guidelines and rules...may be a ways off.

There is no real way of Congress setting up "rules" in which the schools are going to have a real business model. What was proposed was some type of NIL law, this will produce all kinds of issues for the schools.

Reactions: Bigorangedan23
Who is making these "rules"?

Dude why are getting on me about that? It's a speculative statement about how things will go. I know you are very confident in your assertions on this topic but settle down man.

This is a bit of limited/outdated view given social media advertising opportunities, Cameo, and such. One industry guy says he predicts 75% of these kids will make at least $2k a year. Not a ton, but it's a little side money for most these kids. I do wonder how much will make, say, 12k+ enough to have federal income taxes due (not just SE tax).

His list of opportunities opened my eyes a bit, it's a nice twitter thread if you read it all:

As I mentioned, we're talking small to no money for 99.9% of the players out there, other than signing day.

A good portion of pro athletes really don't get big deals, which is why you see even medium tier athletes doing car dealerships ads. Nobody is going to want 100s of LSU kids in their ads. For most of these kids it comes down to signing day, after that... nobody is going to care until the transfer date arrives. They won't be paying these kids for NIL, they will be paying them to play... that's the only value 99% of them have.

Dude why are getting on me about that? It's a speculative statement about how things will go. I know you are very confident in your assertions on this topic but settle down man.

Its a discussion, I didn't realize I was "getting on you". LOL (my apologizes if I came across as getting at you )

Basically, there are no real rules, and there probably won't be any real rules in the future. Real = realistic in this context.

Reactions: Voltopia
I think the fun hasn't even started. My guess as to additional legal problems.

- many more mega class action lawsuits against the NCAA and member schools into the $10s of billions
- DOJ Anti-trust Division may prosecute the NCAA for their new stupid rules
- Players sue individual States (depending on the NIL law) for Constitutional "taking"
- I would think DOJ might have an issue with the number of scholarship players as that would be restricting competition, but have to see on that. DOJ did tell them lighten up on transfers, and the NCAA has been steadily dropping rules for that over the last few years.

Economic problems.
- mega class action lawsuits which the schools will be on the hook for
- facilities and long-term coaches salaries liabilities
- TV/Radio contracts are going to take major hits as some schools are not going to play the arms war
- eventually the players will figure out they walk off the field together in the middle of prime time TV if the schools don't put them under contract

My guess is eventually major splits in college sports, but its hard to guess the details at this point. The business model will disappear very rapidly once the TV contracts need to be renewed.
Maybe there will be legal messes in the background, but I don't see this monstrous entity really changing at its core. People were also freaking out a decade ago when the P5 was looking to semi-separate as the Autonomous 5 as they did in 2015...then quickly came guaranteed multiyear scholarships nationwide...then stipends...I remember a lot of people panicking back then at paying players and giving them more. And yet here's CFB as big as ever and certainly it's the same when we all turn on our tube boxes and watch.

As I mentioned, we're talking small to no money for 99.9% of the players out there, other than signing day.

A good portion of pro athletes really don't get big deals, which is why you see even medium tier athletes doing car dealerships ads. Nobody is going to want 100s of LSU kids in their ads. For most of these kids it comes down to signing day, after that... nobody is going to care until the transfer date arrives. They won't be paying these kids for NIL, they will be paying them to play... that's the only value 99% of them have.

Small to no money is relative. $2,000 can be a lot to a poor college kid. I think plenty of us have been there.

People are laughing at them for trying to make any deals at all and here this industry guy is saying 75% will thrive and make some money. It's all relative, but it's a nice bit for them imo.

Then we'll see what NCAA Football comes up with. Word is payments will be increased. In 2013 it was 75k for top tier schools (so almost a grand per scholarship player).

Maybe there will be legal messes in the background, but I don't see this monstrous entity really changing at its core. People were also freaking out a decade ago when the P5 was looking to semi-separate as the Autonomous 5 as they did in 2015...then quickly came guaranteed multiyear scholarships nationwide...then stipends...I remember a lot of people panicking back then at paying players and giving them more. And yet here's CFB as big as ever and certainly it's the same when we all turn on our tube boxes and watch.

The maximum profit margin potential has already occurred for big money college sports, meaning as a group. That doesn't mean a segment can't break away and do well, but its going to take a different business model.

- no salary caps
- no ability to stop transfers (in part here, in part will be coming)
- mega lawsuit i.e. my guess $10s of billions
- opt out as players don't have contracts
- players in theory could demand payments like a union, meaning they don't have contracts to perform

There is a reason why pro sports have anti-trust exemptions, and its hard to see how an exemption would help the NCAA.

Its a discussion, I didn't realize I was "getting on you". LOL (my apologizes if I came across as getting at you )

Basically, there are no real rules, and there probably won't be any real rules in the future. Real = realistic in this context.

I gotcha - maybe we're saying similar things here. I didn't mean "rules" as if the schools would structure permanent rules around this new arrangement. I meant there'll be some public whatever about new guidelines or agreed "rules" - or maybe expectations - which the schools emphasize, something that's either informal or formal or both. There'll be a bit of settling around proper and improper behavior - publicly at least. There'll be lots of talk about how athletes are supposed to act in this brave new world. And then the folks with real money will break those new "rules," whatever they are, because that's what they do. And as they do, the money will increase. A big energy business owner will shell out 250k for a Peyton Manning or an Alvin Kamara. A cryptocurrency kid with questionable common sense will pay a guy a million. Off we go! To the races.

The only real "rules" I can see being serious would be from Congress. And Congress seems markedly disinterested in touching that.

Small to no money is relative. $2,000 can be a lot to a poor college kid. I think plenty of us have been there.

People are laughing at them for trying to make any deals at all and here this industry guy is saying 75% will thrive and make some money. It's all relative, but it's a nice bit for them imo.

Then we'll see what NCAA Football comes up with. Word is payments will be increased. In 2013 it was 75k for top tier schools (so almost a grand per scholarship player).

My only point is, the bulk for the players is in "pay to play", not NIL. Nobody gives a **** about their image for 99.9% of them.

something that's either informal or formal or both.

In theory, where we stand today and probably the foreseeable future is... a school could implement rules but they don't have to follow them, a school doesn't have to implement rules. The schools might be able to get a conference to implement rules, but the conferences might have a difficult time getting with other conferences as to standard rules. All the rules must comply with the various state laws even if done at all, which seems like an impossibility.

Congress could get involved, but I am having a hard time seeing how they can help with the business model, if anything, they will be destroying their business model even more.

We'll see. The big conferences should have been talking for 6 months about splitting off from the NCAA.

The schools generally have no incentive to have rules, or enforce rules.... if your ability to win goes up and there is no enforcement from someone above meaning penalty, seems like win.

Yeah, capitalism sucks amirite?
No sir you are wrong. You must be one of those that sit around collecting unemployment taking from the government t.I.t. When you grow up and pay for a college education you’ll see college players always got paid. It use to be for the love of the game and school spirit. Like I said the game is now ruined. College football is now the NFL C team. Enjoy but I won’t watch.

When is it going to trickle down to High School, Little League, and Pee-Wee athletes.

Little Johnny 5 Star says, "Garanimals Rule."

large_resized_garanimals-web.jpg

No sir you are wrong. You must be one of those that sit around collecting unemployment taking from the government t.I.t. When you grow up and pay for a college education you’ll see college players always got paid. It use to be for the love of the game and school spirit. Like I said the game is now ruined. College football is now the NFL C team. Enjoy but I won’t watch.

Man, you got me pegged. 😂😂😂

I’m four decades removed from “paying for my college education”, a couple passive revenue streams making unemployment benefits unnecessary, in addition to the everyday corporate career grind that’s headed into Year #32.

But as you said, the game is ruined…for you.

If your enjoyment of college athletics is diminished because student athletes can profit off their name and likeness, you either weren’t that big a fan to begin with, or you hate capitalism…or both.

Last edited:
Love of the game? Players have always been getting paid, now they’ll just get through their name and likeness instead of under the table. Very few players are actually going to make money.

Reactions: Devo182
ESPN started this mess and now we witness the end of college athletics as we know it. I’m blessed I got to see what it was and now how easy it will be to turn it off. R.I.P.
How exactly did ESPN start this mess? What do you think the point of conference championship games was? The Bowl Coalition? The Bowl Alliance? The BCS? The playoffs? It’s always been about money.

Reactions: Devo182
My only point is, the bulk for the players is in "pay to play", not NIL. Nobody gives a **** about their image for 99.9% of them.
This social media monetizing will not be pay to play. They will be based on social media followings. And this supposed expert is saying 75% will make some decent little scratch from it. Plus NCAA football. Idk how you can say 99.9% won't get legit NiL deals when nearly 100% will get the NCAA royalties, along with small deals along the way, according to the experts.

I think you're just looking at it too from too narrow a view. These days you only need a following to monetize it. Doesn't matter if you throw 50 TDs or are 3rd string.

How exactly did ESPN start this mess? What do you think the point of conference championship games was? The Bowl Coalition? The Bowl Alliance? The BCS? The playoffs? It’s always been about money.
It's ironic he'd have this view as a fan...because us as fans wanted (and SCOTUS agreed in the 80s) teams to be seen on TV as much as possible.

THAT is the source of the money...it's us as fans lol. CBS, ABC, ESPN, etc are merely the avenues we use to consume the product. We are willing to pay and the money has to go somewhere.

He was being sarcastic...

And lol "for the love of the game!" All undercompensated folks should be so happy to earn inequitable compensation!

You must hate capitalism...

But I guess you're gone now...you could live through amateur coaches making 100k, 1mm, now 10mm...kids getting COL stipends...but being able to do what literally any other American is capable of and earning based on their NiL...THAT is a bridge too far?! 😅🤣 Guess you'll never get to respond to this, but good riddance.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright

VN Store

Back