What team do you like to watch besides the Lady Vols

StorrsCentral

I won't repeat the title of this thread, and frankly I had no intention of doing any kind of thread for some time. I have been reading for a few months, and one thing I can say is that you are all very passionate about LadyVols basketball. The question is, do you care, or even enjoy womens basketball as a whole. OK, before I go on, yes, I am from some place up north, and any kind of post frankly scares me to the point that I ask myself, why bother. I'm far enough from you guys, so you won't be able to find me .LOL

The rosters of these teams, whether it be Stanford, Texas, UConn, Tennessee, or even Tufts, are made up of young ladies between the ages of 18 and 22. They are girls trying to get a good college education, and in addition have a talent for playing great basketball, yet some of them are raked over the coals and receive "hate" from some posters who do not know them at all. They are not pros, and by the way, I'm sure they also read what you are saying. I'm wondering, are the LVs games the only games you watch, or are there other teams you enjoy, or have an interest in? I enjoy the SEC because of the style of basketball that they play. I also enjoy the ACC and the BIG10, the BIG12, not so much. The Big East, well it is very competitive, but only amongst themselves, save one team. Its summer time now, everything you are bantering about ( except recruiting ) is moot until November, nothing changes until then. The Boneyard is getting boring right now, so I thought I'd get some real colorful stuff to read in the mean time. But not now, its storming at this time, my Mastiff is barking crazily, so I'm going upstairs to watch Master Chef.

If this post doesn't make sense, I'm sorry, but I am 72 and having WCBB withdrawal. PS, I do miss the old rivalry games, the best ever for us.

I won't repeat the title of this thread, and frankly I had no intention of doing any kind of thread for some time. I have been reading for a few months, and one thing I can say is that you are all very passionate about LadyVols basketball. The question is, do you care, or even enjoy womens basketball as a whole. OK, before I go on, yes, I am from some place up north, and any kind of post frankly scares me to the point that I ask myself, why bother. I'm far enough from you guys, so you won't be able to find me .LOL

The rosters of these teams, whether it be Stanford, Texas, UConn, Tennessee, or even Tufts, are made up of young ladies between the ages of 18 and 22. They are girls trying to get a good college education, and in addition have a talent for playing great basketball, yet some of them are raked over the coals and receive "hate" from some posters who do not know them at all. They are not pros, and by the way, I'm sure they also read what you are saying. I'm wondering, are the LVs games the only games you watch, or are there other teams you enjoy, or have an interest in? I enjoy the SEC because of the style of basketball that they play. I also enjoy the ACC and the BIG10, the BIG12, not so much. The Big East, well it is very competitive, but only amongst themselves, save one team. Its summer time now, everything you are bantering about ( except recruiting ) is moot until November, nothing changes until then. The Boneyard is getting boring right now, so I thought I'd get some real colorful stuff to read in the mean time. But not now, its storming at this time, my Mastiff is barking crazily, so I'm going upstairs to watch Master Chef.

If this post doesn't make sense, I'm sorry, but I am 72 and having WCBB withdrawal. PS, I do miss the old rivalry games, the best ever for us.
stanford is my second fav team! I love the coach!

None. Lady Vols or bust. However, I will say that I am a Vic Shaeffer fan as his teams play so damn hard.

Love the commitment,,,There is NO other team!

Vic will be an interesting saga,, as will Duke, Baylor, LSUu and the other soap-opera series out there.
But for my money there are two teams,,,the Lady Vols and whomever they are playing next

@Ladyvol777 edit your spelling before the keyboard police ask you make a collage for them

images

Lady Vols are the only women’s basketball team I watch or care about. I also watch our LV’s softball, and sometimes volleyball. Looking forward to Kellie beating Geno. GO LADY VOLS!!!

PS. Cool to have a Mastiff, and I look forward to our rivalry games, too. Best rivalry ever!

Last edited:
Reactions: FabSmokyVol
I'll watch most of the Tennessee games if I'm free, but also like to watch high profile matchups between other top teams. I was also a big fan of Vic when he was coaching MSST, and started watching more Texas games last season. During the tournament, I'll watch most of the games from the E8 on as well as the more interesting matchups in the early rounds.

I only watch the Lady Vols when I watch. Went to several games back when Pat was there. Never went to one while Holly was there and am yet to go to one with Kellie. And the main reason I went for Pat? Well I worked somewhere that she stopped by at on a regular basis, and she encouraged me to come once I expressed an interest. That was one lady for whom you just could not think, "No, I got better things to do." She was that likable. And the two times she saw me in passing at games? She showed her appreciated for me being there with a simple smile, or "Thanks for coming".

But as to following the other teams? If it was during a tournament and the Lady Vols were going to face one of those two teams? Yeah I caught a few of those on TV. Especially if I was at my folks house, and my Mom had them on. She was dialed into it fully. But since basketball was not a sport I aspired to play? Life gets busy for most of us, and we gravitate to sports that we either played or at least dreamed of playing.

So, while I am glad over my lifetime that women's basketball has grown and these young women are getting the opportunities women older than me did not get? If I actually meet or know someone connected to it? It might make my to do list. If I don't? I didn't aspire to it, so it kinda falls down the priority list a bit.

Lady Vols are the only women’s basketball team I watch or care about. I also watch our LV’s softball, and sometimes volleyball. Looking forward to Kellie beating Geno. GO LADY VOLS!!!

PS. Cool to have a Mastiff, and I look forward to our rivalry games, too. Best rivalry ever!

We are so glad to play Tennessee again, and although your program regressed for awhile, the consensus at the Boneyard is that Kellie Harper is a coach that will bring you back, evidenced by LY. She has Pats discipline, Pats intensity, but has her own way of coaching. Hollys problem was she tried to coach like Pat, but had none of the teaching abilities to make players greater than when they came in. Back to the rivalry, it can never be the same as I'm sure some of the more mature fans can attest. Still, Tennessee will always be a team we will always look forward to playing. We welcome the opportunity to play them every year going forward. Pat Summitt is the reason we are who we are.

I watch nearly all the games from high profile P5 schools but I wish all of them could lose

To answer your question, I like watching some teams, but mostly UT. I used to watch much more until UCONN monopolized the sport. When Tennessee ruled the land of WCBB, everyone wanted to take us down a notch and “create more parity”. Every NCAA Tournament we would have to have the best RPI and very few losses or we would get the screw job.

UCONN plays at home in the 1st and 2nd rounds and in the Bridgeport region every year. They play in a terrible conference. There is NEVER a year when people say, man, UCONN got screwed! It doesn’t happen and that’s because they are protected. It makes me sick. If they played in a tough conference and played the non-conference schedule that they already play, it wouldn’t be like this every year. Or maybe it would, but the need to replace UT as the top program in WCBB has created UCONN. A generation of young ladies have had that program shoved down their throat and it has created exactly what we were and so many people despised….including Geno….but there is no network trying to push other programs and NCAA committees trying to make it harder for them to make it to the Final 4. Instead, we get halftime specials on Paige for every game that ESPN shows. It’s just ridiculous!!! There are other good teams and other great players!!! The damn Olympic team is half UCONN players, while players like Candace and other great players are sitting at home! It’s BS!! I’m over it and it is too much!

For how Geno treated Pat, I wouldn’t pee on him if he was on fire. He’s not a good person and the apologists for him are numerous. He was terrible to the best coach to ever coach in the women’s game and most thought it was funny and excused it. I hate UCONN and I hate Geno!

To answer your question, I like watching some teams, but mostly UT. I used to watch much more until UCONN monopolized the sport. When Tennessee ruled the land of WCBB, everyone wanted to take us down a notch and “create more parity”. Every NCAA Tournament we would have to have the best RPI and very few losses or we would get the screw job.

UCONN plays at home in the 1st and 2nd rounds and in the Bridgeport region every year. They play in a terrible conference. There is NEVER a year when people say, man, UCONN got screwed! It doesn’t happen and that’s because they are protected. It makes me sick. If they played in a tough conference and played the non-conference schedule that they already play, it wouldn’t be like this every year. Or maybe it would, but the need to replace UT as the top program in WCBB has created UCONN. A generation of young ladies have had that program shoved down their throat and it has created exactly what we were and so many people despised….including Geno….but there is no network trying to push other programs and NCAA committees trying to make it harder for them to make it to the Final 4. Instead, we get halftime specials on Paige for every game that ESPN shows. It’s just ridiculous!!! There are other good teams and other great players!!! The damn Olympic team is half UCONN players, while players like Candace and other great players are sitting at home! It’s BS!! I’m over it and it is too much!

For how Geno treated Pat, I wouldn’t pee on him if he was on fire. He’s not a good person and the apologists for him are numerous. He was terrible to the best coach to ever coach in the women’s game and most thought it was funny and excused it. I hate UCONN and I hate Geno!

I get it, I really do. As far as the NCAA regionals, the four #1 seeds get to play in the closest site to their campus. All the other seeds get the same advantage, Stanford, South Carolina, Oregon, Baylor. Check it out, same thing. We have no control of where the regional sights are. We are not protected, we don't need to be protected. ESPN is not our friend, never has been, only stated that by outsiders because they are in Conn. Our conference, do you really think we want to be in a conference where we never lose? Conference realignment screwed us over, we should be in the ACC, but the Boston College AD blackballed us. We had another chance to get into the ACC but they took Louisville because our football program sucked.

As far as the Olympics, I agree that a new system should be instituted. I disagree that the UConn players aren't good enough, but you are right, there is an extremely amount of great talent out there and I believe that the appearances should be capped off at 2.

Paige, well, like her or not, she is a great talent and we would not have gotten as far as we did without her. Exposure, yes, way too much. Just because she is on our team doesn't mean we also don't get sick of seeing it, and also embarrassed by it. I can truely say that I told my friend a month ago that I was really sick of seeing Sue Bird commercials and interviews. We have no control over the media, believe me.

Geno, well I know everyone in Volnation, and a lot of other folks hate Geno. He is a very complicated guy, sarcastic, with out a doubt, overbearing, absolutely. At the beginning he made comments on purpose just to piss people off I think. He was trying to crack the biggest and best dynasty in WCBB. I can't defend his antics with Pat, but I know he did respect her even though he didn't show it. All in all, we cannot deny that it is his talent that has led us to this point.

Just want to let you know, we fans are just like you, just want to support our local team. The reason we want to play the LVs is because we need to play good teams, because as you alluded to, we don't get that in our conference.

I respect your take and your distain for UConn, but that doesn't make us bad people. And also lets not forget that 20 years ago this same distain and hate was directed at Tennessee for some of the same reasons.

Reactions: mcannon1
I didn't join until yesterday, but I have been following along since February I believe. You cannot post anything unless you are a member but you can still read all the posts. I'm sure many of your members read the Boneyard, Cardboard, and the Bench. Sorry for the confusion.

lmao, is that the name of Louisville's forum?? That's cute.

I root for the SEC over other P5 conferences, and underdogs over consistent winners, but I am a Lady Vols fan first and foremost. Of course I love to hate Connecticut, but will always acknowledge the skill of their coach and players. I'm a fan of WBB in general, though I don't follow high school/AAU or overseas play much. Easing my way into Australian pro ball because I follow alot of their players in the W.

lmao, is that the name of Louisville's forum?? That's cute.

I root for the SEC over other P5 conferences, and underdogs over consistent winners, but I am a Lady Vols fan first and foremost. Of course I love to hate Connecticut, but will always acknowledge the skill of their coach and players. I'm a fan of WBB in general, though I don't follow high school/AAU or overseas play much. Easing my way into Australian pro ball because I follow alot of their players in the W.

Stanford

VN Store

Back