Alabama game

Until the Trustees decide to compete on a national level, Tennessee should go the way of Kentucky & Vanderbilt and play Alabama occasionally. The annual game has turned into a joke because Tennessee has chosen not to compete even on the level of Auburn or LSU (both beat Bama on occasion).

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
hopefully after nick retires in 5-6 years UT will finally be able to beat alabama in some years

Once Saban leave Alabama will be back to 6-6 seasons where they belong. Tennessee owned Alabama in the 90s to late 2000s. Wins will come again and Tennessee will start a streak against them.

Until the Trustees decide to compete on a national level, Tennessee should go the way of Kentucky & Vanderbilt and play Alabama occasionally. The annual game has turned into a joke because Tennessee has chosen not to compete even on the level of Auburn or LSU (both beat Bama on occasion).
They'd have to trade with someone.

Every SEC East school has a "rival" with an SEC West school.
Florida-LSU
Georgia-Auburn
Tennessee-Alabama
Not sure about the rest...
Vanderbilt-Ole Miss?
Kentucky-Miss St?
South Carolina-Texas A&M?
Missouri-Arkansas?

Nobody's going to want to trade with Tennessee.

They'd have to trade with someone.

Every SEC East school has a "rival" with an SEC West school.
Florida-LSU
Georgia-Auburn
Tennessee-Alabama
Not sure about the rest...
Vanderbilt-Ole Miss?
Kentucky-Miss St?
South Carolina-Texas A&M?
Missouri-Arkansas?

Nobody's going to want to trade with Tennessee.

I can solve the problem right now and I’d be happy. It’s your rivalry. If you want to dump it and I were king, I’d send Missouri to the West and Auburn to the East. Problem solved.

And we’d get our rivalry with Auburn back

Reactions: wmcovol
Dude I’ve despised Bama more than any other team and that’s the one team I want to beat more than any other I was raised that way. It’s just depressing to see the state of this game now it’s a hopeless feeling like we will never beat those guys again or even make them sweat to beat us. They out recruit us 10 to 1 and even take our best players thru transfer. It’s a very frustrating feeling to be treated like Vandy to those guys now and in another league. It’s like if we can’t step it up soon and this administration can’t dedicate themselves to making our football program better and nationally revelant again then it’s like what’s the point. I just want a SEC contending Tennessee football team again is that too much to ask?
So you are a quitter. Only thing worse than a troll.

As long as one team is smoking cigars after the game, it matters. Saying it isn't a rivalry anymore is a false argument. Even if it has been a lopsided outcome as of late. Let Tennessee beat Saban in the next year or two and all you will hear from the media is about the Tennessee-Alabama rivalry. If any of you don't want the game, go watch something else.

As long as one team is smoking cigars after the game, it matters. Saying it isn't a rivalry anymore is a false argument. Even if it has been a lopsided outcome as of late. Let Tennessee beat Saban in the next year or two and all you will hear from the media is about the Tennessee-Alabama rivalry. If any of you don't want the game, go watch something else.
. Lol we aren’t beating Saban

Would you feel that way if UT was kicking Bama's a$$ every year?
Yes I would. In the same way that I didn’t enjoy watching us beat the crap out of Vandy year after year after year. I was glad we won the games but it was boring and pretty meaningless outside of it being a conference win. Getting our brains beat in is only part of the reason I’d like to stop playing them every year. It’s mostly because id like to see us play A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, ect more than we do.

Hmm....ok so then
Auburn would get Alabama
Florida-LSU
I think Kentucky would get Missouri - connected by I-64 and US-50.
Vanderbilt-stick with Ole Miss
Starkville is actually a little closer to Athens GA than Knoxville TN.
South Carolina - stick with TAMU
leaving
Tennessee-Arkansas

Hmm....would it require majority vote of SEC members, 2/3, 3/4, unanimous?

We should always play Alabama, its too historically rich a rivalry to give up on.
And, incidentally,
View attachment 374693
I grew up in the 50’s and 60’s and felt the same way back then. But since we dropped Auburn for the sake of alignment I no longer value the Bama game. If we are going to play games based on history then we should play Carson Newman, Maryville, UNC, Duke, And especially GaTech every year.

This is the 21st century now and Nebraska-OU and Texas-aTm games are history. Also the Texas-Arkansas rivalry is extinct.

Can't beat them; so let's not play them....How bout UT build a team that can beat them. All roads to an SEC championship lead through Alabama.
It is not going to happen. UT is about to get nailed for using the same tactics that Bama does to buy players. Until the other 13 teams in the conference make Bama play by the same rules things are not going to change. There are too many needy kids in middle and west Tennessee that need the money and go to Bama. And then you have the handlers.

Without question to me the 9-6 loss in 1990 to a 5 loss Bama team. We had the much better team and Majors choked again when he should’ve beat them. The loss might have cost us a shot at the national championship as well. Most of the losses to Bama since Saban arrived haven’t been devastating they have been expected beatdowns minus the 2009 and 2015 games the only games in the last 14 where we had a legitimate chance to win. There was no excuse for us to lose to them during the 90 season however we choked and Johnny played not to lose and got conservative like he did so many times against Bama.

Reactions: onevol74
Ahhh yes the 1990 game my first ever Alabama/Tennessee game. I would have to say mine would be 2005 the game we lost 6-3 which we should have won 20-0. I remember well we fumbled twice going into the endzone and once of perhaps the most dumbest muffed put I ever saw. I can't remember who muffed but I remember he ran up to midfield was almost on his stomach trying to catch it and ended up giving Bama the football at midfield and would eventually kick the game winning field goal. That whole season was just a total nightmare tho.

VN Store

Back