'22 GA DT Quentel Jones

“I’m very big on Tennessee,” said Jones, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 30 defensive tackle in the 2022 class and the No. 33 junior from the state of Georgia.

“It’s very big. They’re a slight favorite.”

The 6-foot-3, 285-pound Jones said he talks with first-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel’s staff on a daily basis, led by defensive line coach Rodney Garner and Heupel himself. The Vols have made Jones a priority since giving him his third SEC scholarship offer in February, and he said “the coaches” are one of the main reasons they’re currently standing out to him.

“The relationship I’ve got with the coaches, it’s real,” he said. “They ain’t just faking it. I just did my background on them. I did my background, and what they said, it’s real, so I know that they ain’t faking it.

“And they ain’t just about football. We talk more about life than just football.”

Jones said having a chance to play in the SEC also is part of what has drawn him to Tennessee.

“I want to be in a Power Five (conference),” he said. “The SEC’s got a lot of competition. It’s more exposure, so that’s a big part in it.”

At least a few other teams are staying in contact with Jones on a regular basis. But he said Tennessee talks with him as frequently as any of them, typically reaching out to him every day.

“They’re going to call me or we’re going to text,” he said. “It’s the same thing. It never changes. I mean, I’d say we text every day and call every other day. I mean, there are some other teams that are talking to me often. But Tennessee is one of the teams that I can say I text and talk to every other day, if not every day.

“Basically, when we talk, it’s just about how life’s going — how life’s going, how school’s going.”

Garner and Heupel have made it clear to Jones that the Vols could use his help on the field, too, stressing that he could make an early impact on their defensive line.

“They say I’m a game-changer,” Jones said. “They love the way I move around on the field. It speaks for itself out there. Coach Garner said he loves it. … If I come in, I’ll be playing three-technique inside. Coach tells me all the time I’ve got a big chance of coming in and (playing as) a true freshman off the start.”

Jones already is somewhat familiar with Tennessee, he said, because he has “been there before.” He said he has “been to a camp or whatever and took photos” there, but he didn’t get an in-depth look at everything the Vols have to offer during his previous trip to Knoxville about two years ago.
-Callahan

This will be a big one, kids way better than his ranking. I know we say that about a lot of 3 stars but this kid genuinely looks like a top 10 DL prospect in the country based on his hudl
Eh, who knows. I want that to be true. But I'll say this, I think rankings as they are currently this year mean less than normal because of how little kids played last year and the fact that they haven't been able to camp. That said, rankings should adjust after this season when high schoolers are playing full schedules so it will probably all come out in the wash.

Eh, who knows. I want that to be true. But I'll say this, I think rankings as they are currently this year mean less than normal because of how little kids played last year and the fact that they haven't been able to camp. That said, rankings should adjust after this season when high schoolers are playing full schedules so it will probably all come out in the wash.
It depends on how quick they are to adjust them.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Let’s start with Jones, who has known Rodney Garner for a good while. Tennessee’s biggest competition for the Peach County lineman appears to be Missouri and the Tigers are pushing him to visit this fall. Can Tennessee end it this weekend? We think there is a chance even if he doesn’t announce right away.
VQ

This will be a big one, kids way better than his ranking. I know we say that about a lot of 3 stars but this kid genuinely looks like a top 10 DL prospect in the country based on his hudl

Agree...his film is 6 minutes of just living in the other teams backfield. Strong and instinctive...

We had no problem getting 9 transfers in here that will have to (if imposed) use their eligibility and play through a bowl ban that could only be a season, yet the 2022s that may not have to deal with it are hesitant

Make it make sense lol. Kids really can’t be stupid enough to believe other teams coaches when they say we’re getting decade long bowl bans, the death penalty, etc

Right? 😂

VN Store

Back