247Sports predicts final record for all 14 SEC teams in 2021

Explain why UGA and UK are overrated.
UGA isn't overrated. They have a few question marks but are one of the most talented teams in the country. In my personal opinion, Smart is a pretty mediocre coach blessed with embarrassing talent. They should still be the winner in the East.

UK's peak success is caused by truly finding diamonds in the rough then developing them. They just sent 10 guys to the NFL... they don't "plug and play" like UGA or Bama. I will be surprised if they don't have a down year.

UGA isn't overrated. They have a few question marks but are one of the most talented teams in the country. In my personal opinion, Smart is a pretty mediocre coach blessed with embarrassing talent. They should still be the winner in the East.

UK's peak success is caused by truly finding diamonds in the rough then developing them. They just sent 10 guys to the NFL... they don't "plug and play" like UGA or Bama. I will be surprised if they don't have a down year.

Smart's defensive mindset is holding them back, and until they put the focus on offense like every other currently successful college football program, they will continue to underperform the talent they recruit.

Heck with all we've lost, new coaching staff, etc, I'd be happy with 6-6. Not optimal, but Missouri, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, Bama, and Ole Miss should all be ahead of us given they all don't have a coach in the first year at a new team. South Carolina and Pitt are both going to be competitive games, but I think we should win both games.

Main things are can we get improved quarterback play from someone on the roster, and can the defense put it all together.

Two different things. I believe this to be a 6-8 win roster. More would be great. Less would be complete failure IMO. That's my opinion of the roster.

But in respect to judging the coaching performance.... I think six wins would at best leave us "incomplete" with regard to Heupel. It wouldn't necessarily be a sign to give up depending on how competitive they are. OTOH, it would in no way yell "this is the right guy". He would need to make significant progress to show he's the guy over the next two years.

If he doesn't... then recruiting will fall off even if it hasn't improved over now. Once recruiting falls off... you only hurt yourself by keeping a guy around.

Maybe most important concerning this fall is that six wins won't really excite recruits. Maybe six wins with some really competitive losses vs Bama/UGA/UF... Seven wins and especially with a bowl win to make 8 might be good to sell. Eight regular season wins IMO would give them a really strong case to make with recruits.

In the end I think we all agree you need great talent and great coaching to get results. I may differ from some in believing that you MUST show that you can coach at a high level before recruits will sign on to play for you.
So if he doubles last year win total its not great progress??

Explain why UGA and UK are overrated.

UK needs no explanation. They’re always UK. They’re coming off a 5-6 season, they’ve added nobody to warrant a 4-game win turnaround.

Georgia has likely losses to Florida and Clemson and/or they’ll drop another along the way to someone, due to poor Gameday coaching, like always.

Reactions: VolInNW
UK needs no explanation. They’re always UK. They’re coming off a 5-6 season, they’ve added nobody to warrant a 4-game win turnaround.

Georgia has likely losses to Florida and Clemson and/or they’ll drop another along the way to someone, due to poor Gameday coaching, like always.
Kentucky will go 8-4 and Georgia might lose to Clemson but they aren’t losing to Florida or anybody else till they play probaly Bama or A&M in the SEC title game.

So if he doubles last year win total its not great progress??
Not unless you somehow think that last year was A) a normal year or B) an even remotely acceptable coaching job even considering the problems with Covid. Pruitt coaches a 7 or 8 win roster to 3 wins. Maybe you are willing to excuse Heupel because Pruitt was an abject failure. I don't think that's the way it should go.

This is a roster with talent if coached well. It has as much or more raw talent as 8 or 9 of UT's opponents with the question mark being Ole Miss. UT has essentially 4 "gimmees". I don't think going 2 of 5 against the other teams with comparable or somewhat worse talent is "great progress". When the "right" coach shows up a UT... we will know it because they will win games that they aren't expected to win and MORE games than they're expected to win.

Kiffin frankly won more than maybe his roster should have won. With the possible exception of Dooley's first year, every coach since has done less with more. The fool's gold of two years ago was that Pruitt was "making great progress" by winning 8 games with a roster that should have won at least 10.

Kentucky will go 8-4 and Georgia might lose to Clemson but they aren’t losing to Florida or anybody else till they play probaly Bama or A&M in the SEC title game.

Oh that’s right, I forgot you, and many others here, are completely in awe/fear of Georgia.

I’m not.

You’ll see again this season.

Reactions: VolInNW
Pruitt went 3-7 with an all SEC schedule.

If Huepel goes 6-6, 2-6 in the SEC, how is that "great progress"?
Who said anything about 2-6 in the SEC?? Going from 3-7 to 6-6 is great progress or did yal forget what we lost. We dont know how great the talent is or isnt bc most of them havent played. So hell yeah going from .300 to .500 after losing your top 2 RB's, top WR, 3 of your starting OL, your top pass rusher, your top 2 LB's plus their backups, your best DB, & majority of your incoming recruiting class is great progress. Especially if its the 1st year of a totally new system. It shows that CJH can avoid a losing season even with the cards stacked against him. There are only 3 games on the schedule that we should win easily. Everything else is a toss-up or guaranteed L. Based off our last decade , just winning the ones you are favored in and a couple that you're not is great progress for UT.

Reactions: jackaro
Not unless you somehow think that last year was A) a normal year or B) an even remotely acceptable coaching job even considering the problems with Covid. Pruitt coaches a 7 or 8 win roster to 3 wins. Maybe you are willing to excuse Heupel because Pruitt was an abject failure. I don't think that's the way it should go.

This is a roster with talent if coached well. It has as much or more raw talent as 8 or 9 of UT's opponents with the question mark being Ole Miss. UT has essentially 4 "gimmees". I don't think going 2 of 5 against the other teams with comparable or somewhat worse talent is "great progress". When the "right" coach shows up a UT... we will know it because they will win games that they aren't expected to win and MORE games than they're expected to win.

Kiffin frankly won more than maybe his roster should have won. With the possible exception of Dooley's first year, every coach since has done less with more. The fool's gold of two years ago was that Pruitt was "making great progress" by winning 8 games with a roster that should have won at least 10.
The problem I have with your stance is no game is a gimme for UT. We have proved that for a decade. You are what your record says you are and we were 3-7. 3 out of the last 4 years we finished with 5 or less wins. You cant automatically claim talent as production. Football dont work like that especially when you have a team full of guys who dont know how to win consistently. We basically lost all the production from a 3-7 team and yal think 6-6 is underachieving smh. Yea ok, Saban only won like 7 games his 1st year at Bama and his roster was more proven then what we will field this season.

Who said anything about 2-6 in the SEC?? Going from 3-7 to 6-6 is great progress or did yal forget what we lost. We dont know how great the talent is or isnt bc most of them havent played. So hell yeah going from .300 to .500 after losing your top 2 RB's, top WR, 3 of your starting OL, your top pass rusher, your top 2 LB's plus their backups, your best DB, & majority of your incoming recruiting class is great progress. Especially if its the 1st year of a totally new system. It shows that CJH can avoid a losing season even with the cards stacked against him. There are only 3 games on the schedule that we should win easily. Everything else is a toss-up or guaranteed L. Based off our last decade , just winning the ones you are favored in and a couple that you're not is great progress for UT.

Why did I bring up the SEC, because those are the games that matter, unless you're one of those posters that seriously believe that a win over Bowling Green is the same as a win over Florida.

Contrary to your belief, Huepel is not going to be judged on his OOC wins, success or failure is going to come by way how he does in the SEC.

No matter how you try to spin it, going 2-6 in SEC play, even if he wins the 4 OOC games, is not "great progress" from a 3-7 record in a season where all 10 games were SEC opponents.

Why did I bring up the SEC, because those are the games that matter, unless you're one of those posters that seriously believe that a win over Bowling Green is the same as a win over Florida.

Contrary to your belief, Huepel is not going to be judged on his OOC wins, success or failure is going to come by way how he does in the SEC.

No matter how you try to spin it, going 2-6 in SEC play, even if he wins the 4 OOC games, is not "great progress" from a 3-7 record in a season where all 10 games were SEC opponents.
Read carefully. My comment was " who said anything about going 2-6 in the SEC???" There are multiple ways to get to .500 and we dont know what games we will win or lose. Nobody said a win over Bowling Green is equal to Fla. Hell its possible for us to beat Fla and lose to somebody like BG, we dont know. What I do know is when Saban when to bama he finished 7-6 in his 1st year with a better team then we currently have so I dnt get why winning 6 games is a failure in year 1 when we have only won 6+ games once in the last 4 years. Some of us not living in reality. The same teams you looking at on the schedule as wins are looking at their schedule saying the exact samething about us and thats the truth bro

Read carefully. My comment was " who said anything about going 2-6 in the SEC???" There are multiple ways to get to .500 and we dont know what games we will win or lose. Nobody said a win over Bowling Green is equal to Fla. Hell its possible for us to beat Fla and lose to somebody like BG, we dont know. What I do know is when Saban when to bama he finished 7-6 in his 1st year with a better team then we currently have so I dnt get why winning 6 games is a failure in year 1 when we have only won 6+ games once in the last 4 years. Some of us not living in reality. The same teams you looking at on the schedule as wins are looking at their schedule saying the exact samething about us and thats the truth bro

So if you believe that a 6-6 record involves better than a 2-6 SEC record, do enlighten us all as to what you believe that SEC record will be.
UT2021.png

No, came close a few times but no. Then again, nobody else did either. Jimbo Fisher hasn’t beaten Saban, Kirby Smart hasn’t beaten Saban, in fact the only two I can think of are Gus Malzahn and Hugh Freeze. Ed O beat him in 2019 with a team for the ages which raised his record to 1-4 vs Saban). So that’s 3 coaches who have beaten Saban a few times in 14 years. The man has 23 total losses in 14 years. That’s like 1.6 losses per year, take out the 6-loss first season and he’s averaged 1-loss per season. (I know other coaches have beaten him, including Spurrier while at SC, and Urban Meyer while at UF, but aside from Malzahn and Freeze, I can’t recall any who have had any sort of sustained success against Saban).

So show me a coach who can take Mississippi State talent and beat the greatest coach of all time with the greatest dynasty of all time, but fair question.

Doesn't sound like you're making an argument for Mullen beating him next year either. Your argument so far is that Saban is all but unbeatable, but UF will have weapons that no one has seen yet.

So if you believe that a 6-6 record involves better than a 2-6 SEC record, do enlighten us all as to what you believe that SEC record will be.

I think it's entirely reasonable we get better as the year goes on and we could lose to Pitt and come back and beat Missouri and/or Kentucky for 3-5/4-4

I think it's entirely reasonable we get better as the year goes on and we could lose to Pitt and come back and beat Missouri and/or Kentucky for 3-5/4-4

That wouldn't have us at the overall 6-6 record that he is predicting though.

He's stating that we could end up 6-6, with a better than 2-6 record, which means we drop Pitt, and pick up a another SEC win to go 3-5 in the SEC.

Beating South Carolina, Missouri, and Vanderbilt, would not be "great improvement" over 2020 where we beat, South Carolina, Missouri, and Vanderbilt.

VN Store

Back