Why is American Football called American "Foot"ball

This is a genuine question.

Can anybody help me, why is American Football called American Football when the only two players who kick the ball are the Place Kicker and the Punter and they are usually regarded as the least important players on the team.

Granted American Throwball or American Runball does seem weird

Why do we drive on a "Parkway" and park on a "Driveway " ?

Reactions: gnm53108 and MAD
The same reason ballerinas are always on their tippy toes (and no, it's not because they're short).

This is a genuine question.

Can anybody help me, why is American Football called American Football when the only two players who kick the ball are the Place Kicker and the Punter and they are usually regarded as the least important players on the team.

Granted American Throwball or American Runball does seem weird

I have a better question. Why do you fans of your "football" tolerate the obvious floppers? It is no surprise to me the number of riots you all have had over the years. To me, those times are the only ones that are half way interesting. Which leads me to ask: Why don't you all just be honest and call it wussyball?

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
I dont wish to start another tread but in England we play Cricket and 100 years ago it was between "Gentlemen" (the rich and powerful) and "Players" (the working class). They even had their own dressing rooms and a different gate to enter the pitch. Ah the good ole days !!

Cricket is one sport, I have had very little exposure to. One of these days, I need to learn the rules so I can understand it. But I will say this: I have watched a bit of Rugby, both from England as well as Australia. Those guys are nuts, and fun to watch! And if they will ever televise it here, I will catch some Gaelic football. If I ever make to across the pond, I hope to catch some of that. But not the soccer pitch. If you see me there? Call the Bobbies. I will have been kidnapped, and taken there against my will.

s-l300.jpg

Ha ha. I remember him trying to throw a pass in the Super Bowl. Did not turn out well.

Nice thread to read. It's the best game, bar none. Should be known as football worldwide, other countries are missing out by focusing on soccer (football) more.

I have a better question. Why do you fans of your "football" tolerate the obvious floppers? It is no surprise to me the number of riots you all have had over the years. To me, those times are the only ones that are half way interesting. Which leads me to ask: Why don't you all just be honest and call it wussyball?

Your spot on TNnative, I despise the cheating, in fact its so endemic they now call it "simulation" not diving or I believe the Americans call "flopping".

Cricket is one sport, I have had very little exposure to. One of these days, I need to learn the rules so I can understand it. But I will say this: I have watched a bit of Rugby, both from England as well as Australia. Those guys are nuts, and fun to watch! And if they will ever televise it here, I will catch some Gaelic football. If I ever make to across the pond, I hope to catch some of that. But not the soccer pitch. If you see me there? Call the Bobbies. I will have been kidnapped, and taken there against my will.
The only thing I understand about cricket is when they take a tea break.

LOL, right on. But be careful brother. One day, woke PC society will condemn our beloved football as brutal, barbaric, racist, anti-woman or insensitive to trans people or something crazy. Academia and media will go about cancelling football and demonize anyone associated with 'American football' as a stain on society to be condemned by the world. We may get sent to Siberia or re-education camps. Freak might be imprisoned or exiled for crimes against humanity - for giving us a great platform.
Lol riiiight.....

I'll keep waiting on this crazy talk prediction like I did the "we'll have to wear masks forever" and "football won't exist by 2020" (said en masse a decade ago during the concussion drama).

Your spot on TNnative, I despise the cheating, in fact its so endemic they now call it "simulation" not diving or I believe the Americans call "flopping".

In case you have never checked out Australian football, they call it staging. I believe it was one of the Richmond Tigers who said in an interview that it happens a lot in their game. Since then, several players have been put through the tribunal for it, and paid hefty fines for it. Now that they realize it is being watched for? It has for all intents and purposes, curtained it and hopefully put a stop to it.

Every time I have watched soccer in the past ten years, there are at least three incidents of it per game. Personally, I feel the other thing soccer is known for is acts of violence. I doubt one has led to the other, but if I were a soccer player, I would expect the violence to break out if a player did a flop. It makes the game seem, at least to me, akin to professional wrestling.

Of course, the corruption that has been exposed within FIFA and other soccer leagues would seem to breed such actions. I have a few friends born in foreign countries that are surprised at my disdain for the sport. Well, the first time I ever watched it was Pele's farewell match. And during that match? That nonsense did not happen. And it was beautiful. It cracks me up with the endemic play acting that anyone can still call it "The Beautiful Game". It's not anymore, but it could be again. If they would just suspend the morons who do that for five years.

Until they do something to put an end to it? I will not watch it or support it at any level. Thankfully my niece and nephew never played it. Saved me from getting caught in the trap most of the rest of the world is caught in.

LOL, right on. But be careful brother. One day, woke PC society will condemn our beloved football as brutal, barbaric, racist, anti-woman or insensitive to trans people or something crazy. Academia and media will go about cancelling football and demonize anyone associated with 'American football' as a stain on society to be condemned by the world. We may get sent to Siberia or re-education camps. Freak might be imprisoned or exiled for crimes against humanity - for giving us a great platform.

Damn. That is what I have always liked about football, just not the racist part. If those folks you mentioned try to do that? Let em try. I guess God will be putting in some overtime sorting that day out.

Reactions: Old Geezer
Soccer is really an abbreviated form of "Association" football. Soccer, Rugby, Australian Rules and American football all have the same general origin.

At the beginning, kicking did play a bigger role, but as the forward pass became more popular, the ball became less spherical and kicking became a lesser part of the game. Thats why drop kicks are rarely done now, when before the ball design was changed for the forward pass, you saw drop kicks far more often.

I love it when wankers try to say "It's not 'soccer' you bloody yank" when we didn't invent the term (I believe the Brits did) and almost every English-speaking country more commonly uses "soccer".

Many thanks for your kind words and yes i did see and follow the London Monarchs at Wembley.

I also had 4 NFL season tickets at Wembley for many years (they cost me about $2,500 a year). Last year they moved the matches to Tottenham (closer to me) but did not season ticket holders to transfer their tickets and within 2 hours they were sold out, so no more matches in England for me. When you moan about College Football be thankful as this is how the NFL works $$$$
When you coming up to Knoxville for a game?

VN Store

Back