Stadium Downtown

I have no clue who you are, but I am positive I wouldn't like you if I did.

Oh you’re not aware of the President of the University of Tennessee’s close confidant, friend, colleague, and advisor vegasvolfan? When he calls, Randy listens. And us peasants should thank him for his service to us.

how many students are going to these games, compared to others? Hell, i have UT football tickets because students wouldn't fill up their allotment anymore.

the extra efforts you're considering for staying on campus in the existing location can all be solved if they played or split time at the old city location. minimal cost to UT as opposed to funding efforts to revamp the entire campus area now.
Geezus people! Tony V just wants a d@mn pretty gate leading into LNS and some bleachers in the outfield! He doesn’t want the entire campus burnt down and rebuilt, just to accommodate a new baseball stadium.
GBO!!

I have no clue who you are, but I am positive I wouldn't like you if I did.

I am not sure what weight you believe that has in this world, but clearly it’s best for me that you don’t like me and that I don’t know you. I could care less if you know who I am. Let’s just say, most of you do.

Last edited:
Oh you’re not aware of the President of the University of Tennessee’s close confidant, friend, colleague, and advisor vegasvolfan? When he calls, Randy listens. And us peasants should thank him for his service to us.

You and your likeminded are entertaining. You don’t even understand your own arrogance as you subconsciously project your buried self doubt on others in the same breath that you charge others for being arrogant.

It is very simple. Both Randy and Danny have publicly solicited the feedback of fans. I happen to have direct contact with them. I provided it and there has been noticeable and beneficial change in their language. There are plenty of people that don’t like me and listen to me, and yet... I still help where I can.

Ultimately, it is you who cast the insults, make assumptions about me, and show your own lack of character. You pick fights on a forum.

I wish I never got sucked into this nonsense of discussing people and events with aliases or anyone for that matter. Still growing. I’d rather get back to discussing ideas. Hence the entire reason for this post.

Kudos to those who understand what I am saying with that statement. Martha may have been a hip hip chick, but so was Eleanore.

Last edited:
Reactions: cobbwebb0710
You and your likeminded are entertaining. You don’t even understand your own arrogance as you subconsciously project your buried self doubt on others in the same breath that you charge others for being arrogant.

It is very simple. Both Randy and Danny have publicly solicited the feedback of fans. I happen to have direct contact with them. I provided it and there has been noticeable and beneficial change in their language. There are plenty of people that don’t like me and listen to me, and yet... I still help where I can.

Ultimately, it is you who cast the insults, make assumptions about me, and show your own lack of character. You pick fights on a forum.

I wish I never got sucked into this nonsense of discussing people and events with aliases or anyone for that matter. Still growing. I’d rather get back to discussing ideas. Hence the entire reason for this post.

Kudos to those who understand what I am saying with that statement. Martha may have been a hip hip chick, but so was Eleanore.
Meh, I was only busting your chops. I couldn’t care less who anyone really is behind their screen names. If you do in fact have connections, that’s cool.
If we ever cross paths on here again, I’ll give you some advice, never take anything I post personal nor serious.😁
GBO!!

Reactions: EZE and OldTimer
Has the old World’s Fair site ever been discussed as a possible location for the stadium? It seems like it would be a nice compromise - plenty of space and close to campus.

Has the old World’s Fair site ever been discussed as a possible location for the stadium? It seems like it would be a nice compromise - plenty of space and close to campus.

Please tell where the old world's fair site is, with street names as rough boundaries. Thanks.

The site has already begun clearing as far as I know and have seen. Up from Barley's.

Worlds Fair park was a great option for a minor league park and a college park when Victor Ashe ran the Smokies out of Knoxville decades ago, Sevierville built them a nice stadium, the Haslams bought the team after they moved, then offloaded it to Randy Boyd, at one point in time the Smokies in Sevierville were on the cover of the Knoxville telephone book, at one point in time the major cities in Tennessee all had downtown ball parks and arenas under construction with the exception of Knoxville which opted for an overpriced and under utilized convention center instead, which is still a white elephant in the eyes of most city taxpayers and a baseball stadium on the wrong side of town is a gamble that Randy is asking everybody to throw money at so he doesn't have to risk it alone.

Knoxville needs and wants minor league baseball. In Knoxville. Full stop. Multi-purpose the hell out of it you want to, as long as original premise stands.

A minor league baseball team in Knoxville would bring in a lot of visitors and revenue to the city over the course of a season.

You could also see the future major league stars play as they come through town.

Tennessee should do what clemson does. They play majority of home games on campus, but designate a few big series a year at Fluor Field in Greenville SC.

That's a great idea, but as a player, you don't have your usually locker room, you don't have your regular routine. Home crowd, but road pre-game

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I'm old enough that I watched minor league ball in Bill Meyer stadium when I was a student. I saw Carlos Delgado come through Knoxville on his way to the majors. Good times.

I'm old enough that I watched minor league ball in Bill Meyer stadium when I was a student. I saw Carlos Delgado come through Knoxville on his way to the majors. Good times.

That was the first season when they went back to the "Smokies" name and that was likely the best team that ever came through town.

Garth Iorg was the manager -Eli Iorg's dad from that 2005 CWS team.
Carlos Delgado was still playing catcher at that time.
Shawn Green was OF
Alex Gonzalez at SS
Steve Karsay was pitching and got traded mid season to the A's

The team did not win the title but they ran away with first half title. Most team gone by the time the playoffs came along.

I remember driving from the dorm at UT the first day they had their caps available when they announced the new/old team name

I lived in Chattanooga a few years later when the 1996 Jacksonville Suns had an even better team with Bubba Trammell, Phil Nevin, Frank Catalanotto,

For clarification: is the proposed location by the bus station, or is it just east of John Sevier and Hall of Fame from the Old City?

Either way, that whole area is significantly improved from 10 years ago. There are already at least 6-8 high end restaurants, a few breweries, great pizza, bbq, and other casual fare, and several interesting shops within walking distance. We would be MUCH more likely to hit a game there and make an evening of it than to drive to Sevierville (and it's not even close).

Reactions: kcvols1
For clarification: is the proposed location by the bus station, or is it just east of John Sevier and Hall of Fame from the Old City?

Either way, that whole area is significantly improved from 10 years ago. There are already at least 6-8 high end restaurants, a few breweries, great pizza, bbq, and other casual fare, and several interesting shops within walking distance. We would be MUCH more likely to hit a game there and make an evening of it than to drive to Sevierville (and it's not even close).
Think Knox Rail Salvage area.

Reactions: vol66
I think this is a good thought worth exploring.

The excavation work is already underway at the Old City site as demolition is almost or is complete.
That site is more readily accessible by cross town traffic;; has more parking; and more businesses that could benefit from the stadium

Reactions: EZE

VN Store

Back