Votes: 92 41.1%
  • ‘01 LSU

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

volsknx

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
To coincide with the most surprising Vol win, what has been your most surprising loss to date?

I view the Ga St loss the equivalent as the ‘96 Memphis St loss. Reason being is that although Memphis St was a lowly program, they were better than Ga St two years ago and, we were much better back then as well.

I know some may say the LSU SECCG of ‘01 but they had won the West.

To coincide with the most surprising Vol win, what has been your most surprising loss to date?

I view the Ga St loss the equivalent as the ‘96 Memphis St loss. Reason being is that although Memphis St was a lowly program, they were better than Ga St two years ago and, we were much better back then as well.

I know some may say the LSU SECCG of ‘01 but they had won the West.

North Texas State - 1975

No way in Hell Memphis should've even been close. Should've been a damn blowout!! I still can't figure out what the Hell happened, even to this day!!
. Should have never been in the position for a single play to determine that outcome but the Memphis State players elbow and butt were down @ the 25 on a Kickoff return midway through the 3rd Qtr. Memphis may have still won but if
replay existed then that TD would have not stood .

Have not seen it discussed much but 1987 Boston College game in Boston should be up there .This game stands out to me because My grandparents went to every home & away game for over 30 years and were at this one as well. I was 9 and attending what at the time was a small fall festival in downtown Franklin that was only in its 2nd or 3rd year of existence known as “The Pumpkin Festival” that has grown to become a huge event as far as those things go. It was Halloween and I listened in the car in whatever my costume was to an inexplicable loss. Vols finished 10-2-1 and because of this loss had to settle for what was at the time a so -so Peach Bowl bid. The next time the Vols played a Halloween game was another shocking loss to a 2-7 S.C. team in their inaugural SEC season . After an open date Coach Johnny Majors resigned the night before the Memphis State game .

Georgia state was the worst loss in Tennessee football history. Outplayed from start to finish. Need 5+ years to rebuild this dumpster fire

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
The 1996 Memphis game should be the only choice. Georgia State was a bad loss. However we weren’t a top 10 team that had tons of NFL talent, Peyton at QB and Cutcliffe as OC for the GS game.

The Memphis loss was the worst loss in modern program history.

The Memphis loss is the correct answer but that was still a fluke. Memphis likely doesn't win without the blown call. Georgia State just flat out whipped us. And the worst coached game may have been UT vs UK in 2011. Dave Hart showed how awful he was by not firing Dooley on the spot after that game.

Georgia state was the worst loss in Tennessee football history. Outplayed from start to finish. Need 5+ years to rebuild this dumpster fire
Wrong because our team sucked in a major, major way. That 96 Vols team that lost to Memphis was loaded. That was BY FAR the program's worst loss in at least the last 40 years.

Wrong because our team sucked in a major, major way. That 96 Vols team that lost to Memphis was loaded. That was BY FAR the program's worst loss in at least the last 40 years.
I don’t even put GA State on the Mount Rushmore of worst UT losses tbh. That team at least went to a bowl game.

1956 Chattanooga
1975 North Texas State
1996 Memphis
2008 Wyoming

Are all worse IMO.

Memphis State game because we had Peyton and still lost. Agree with kbear01 - no idea why this happened.
The refs missed the call on the kick return. The runner was down. In addition, Al Wilson missed a good portion of that game with an injury. We were sitting with his mother and she was extremely upset because she did not know the extent of his injury. A very unfortunate day in Tennessee football history.

Reactions: Jravol78

VN Store

Back