Big.... Potential BCS Expansion.

Pro teams play 16 games in the regular season. Right now the final 2 in the college championship game play 15. Top round draft picks are already opting out of post season games to reduce risk of injury. And there is still this pretense that college football isn't the minor league for pro football. The NCAA would have us believe that the players are "student athletes". The NCAA made up of the colleges make a lot of money on the performance of those student athletes and there scholarships are the contracts that can be terminated if their performance drops. So, there are a lot of angles. I thought the BCS worked and allowed other bowls to still have some meaning. Now they just mean extra practice time for up and coming teams.

blah. they are going 12. they have been talking everyone into it since last year. I am a fan of the 8 team, but so many greediness want a 16, or more, that they can't stop at 8.
I can go with 12. Eight would end up with the same four in the end and all the other schools which were close have nothing to complain about when they lose.

Reactions: VolForLife83
It was never a "series". It was a National Title Game. When they expanded it to add another bowl game then a national title game it watered it down even more.

Eh? As long as targeting is a part of it? It will just get less interesting to me.

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
I’m excited about it for sure. Right now the same 3 or 4 teams are in it every year and that’s just creating a bigger gap between them and the others because kids want to play in the post season. Also, it’ll make a bama or a Clemson get up for 3 additional (post season) games where anything can happen. No doubt this is great for college football. And it’s long overdue

Should expand to include every D1 school. That way we could have football nearly year round before a National Champion would be determined, and it would do away with the need for an annual inter squad game for a lot of schools.:D

Pro teams play 16 games in the regular season. Right now the final 2 in the college championship game play 15. Top round draft picks are already opting out of post season games to reduce risk of injury. And there is still this pretense that college football isn't the minor league for pro football. The NCAA would have us believe that the players are "student athletes". The NCAA made up of the colleges make a lot of money on the performance of those student athletes and there scholarships are the contracts that can be terminated if their performance drops. So, there are a lot of angles. I thought the BCS worked and allowed other bowls to still have some meaning. Now they just mean extra practice time for up and coming teams.
NFL is going to play 17 games starting this season so naturally the NCAA follows their lead. This is the NCAA’s way of telling the players if you want to get paid and take some of our money away then we will just add more games and make it up on the back end.

NFL is going to play 17 games starting this season so naturally the NCAA follows their lead. This is the NCAA’s way of telling the players if you want to get paid and take some of our money away then we will just add more games and make it up on the back end.
The CFP is a separate entity from the NCAA. March Madness is the NCAA’s $$$ maker.

Reactions: GreveHaller
If they do 5 vs 12 and so forth as tournaments usually are, it'll be interesting to see if the games are terrible. They may actually be good, you never know. In football it seems like as a sport it has a tendency to produce a lopsided game when you expect a really close one.

If they do 5 vs 12 and so forth as tournaments usually are, it'll be interesting to see if the games are terrible. They may actually be good, you never know. In football it seems like as a sport it has a tendency to produce a lopsided game when you expect a really close one.

I would argue that, at least recently, the gap between 12 and 5 has been a lot closer than the gap between 5 and 3.

I don’t dislike this 12 teams 4 first round bye game

Week 1: 4 games; 12 teams; 8 active teams

Week 2: 4 games; 8 teams; 8 active teams

Week 3: 2 games; 4 teams; 4 active teams

Week 4: 1 game; 2 teams; 2 active teams

11 total games to decide the national champion. Bowl games will be a thing of the past.

I'm against expansion. More games eats into the players academic time.

They are student/athletes. The academic aspect should never be minimized.
FCS does more than fine. Living in Frisco, the caravans of NDSU faithful almost annually is a thing to behold. Imagine that with some FBS fanbases. The hosting city for the championship game will be Super Bowl level...if not more so.

The only bowl that mattered in the BCS was the championship game. It was a slight improvement on the original model but when an undefeated Auburn team can’t have a say in the NC? Something’s wrong. If you don’t have a great regular season, you’re going to be home watching the teams that have.

I'm against expansion. More games eats into the players academic time.

They are student/athletes. The academic aspect should never be minimized.
So you are against March Madness? It's less time and fewer teams for football than basketball. Nobody seems to be concerned about basketball. Plus they play a couple of games a week during the regular season, unlike football.

I liked the old days where every week was a playoff game because of you lost you were out. Now I do like that the playoffs would make teams schedule better out of conference games. The 10 game sec season was great.

VN Store

Back