memphis music and restaurants

I couldn't find a thread like this, and wondered if it might be better in the zone. Another possibility is to expand thread to all of Tenneessee.

Not sure if it is still around, but I saw Albert King at Green's Lounge about a year or two before he died.

The Antenna was a great place for punk shows.

Reactions: ArdentVol
The Sadies
saw these guys open for The Jayhawks atdeli near Cooper or Young
Had a great juke box, Can't remem,ber name and is it still open?

Rendevous is too inconsistent to be this high. I think its a good place to bring visitors since atmosphere is cool but just too inconsistent for my liking.

Which Corky's? The East Memphis one on Poplar is good. All the others, not as much

Which One & Only : East Memphis one is good. Cordova one, not nearly as good.

I'd include Memphis BBQ company in Southaven as well. The food is as good as any of the other places but the atmosphere is a little lacking and not the most well run restaurant.

My Top 10

1. Central (Note, the East Memphis one isn't as good as the others)
2. BBQ Shop
3. Commissary (Germantown location is better, Collierville one is more spacious)

Gap

4. Memphis BBQ
5. Paynes
6. One and Only (East Memphis one only)
7. Cozy Corner
8. Corkys (East Memphis Poplar only)

Gap
9. Rendevous
10. Interstate
11. Tops (Tops is very reasonably priced so if factoring in value, this would be way higher but BBQ isnt quite as good)

Other Memphis area BBQ thoughts:

Good value choices
Three Little Pigs - Similar to Tops, Good, moderarely prices BBQ
Leonards - Good, reasonably priced. Similar to Tops
Elwood's Shack (Good BBQ, other menu items are better IMO)

Inconsistent but very good (at times)
A&R
Baby Jacks
Fat Larrys (service issues)
Bozos (Mason, if Im going to Mason, Im going to the Original Gus's)

Just better places in town IMO
Toms's - Guy Fieri likes it. I don't
Jerry Lawler's - He's much better at wrestling than BBQ
Blues City - Best of the BBQ on Beale. Just better places in town.
The Pig on Beale - If Im eating BBQ on Beale, its Blues City

Rendevous is too inconsistent to be this high. I think its a good place to bring visitors since atmosphere is cool but just too inconsistent for my liking.

Which Corky's? The East Memphis one on Poplar is good. All the others, not as much

Which One & Only : East Memphis one is good. Cordova one, not nearly as good.

I'd include Memphis BBQ company in Southaven as well. The food is as good as any of the other places but the atmosphere is a little lacking and not the most well run restaurant.

My Top 10

1. Central (Note, the East Memphis one isn't as good as the others)
2. BBQ Shop
3. Commissary (Germantown location is better, Collierville one is more spacious)

Gap

4. Memphis BBQ
5. Paynes
6. One and Only (East Memphis one only)
7. Cozy Corner
8. Corkys (East Memphis Poplar only)

Gap
9. Rendevous
10. Interstate
11. Tops (Tops is very reasonably priced so if factoring in value, this would be way higher but BBQ isnt quite as good)
first place we visited was corky's on poplar
before covid, we usually went to the bbq shop, and central (east); heard good things about commissary and were told to avoids rendevous more than 20 years

not familiar with one and only or cozy corner
appreciate response.....we're anxious to enjoy memphis nightlife again

BTW there is a tops near a place we often stop in arkansas .....never saw it do much business

I’m guessing a lot of people will say that Rendezvous is ranked too high. I’ve been once and thought it was a good experience. I’d probably equate it to the Angus Barn, the steak is pretty good, but it’s the whole experience that I think most people go for.[/QUOTE

we were told more than 20 years ago it was vastly overrated, but think it is high time we tried it

Trying to come up with name of BBQ place that drew long lines in durham in late 70sw, early 80s]

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back