What Happened to the Affordable Pickup Truck?

How much routine maintenance did you do to your engine? How much ro those parts you mentioned above?

Now, go to a franchised dealer and tell them you are going to take away 90% of their routine work and let me know how that goes.
Since most of those vehicles were company owned I did perform the required routine maintenance. I guess my point was that most cars today have many more convenience features that will fail whether on a gasoline, electric or hydrogen power train, and I've found that many of those can't be fixed outside the dealership due "proprietary" technology. If there's a way to create a monopoly big business will find it.... App Store

Since most of those vehicles were company owned I did perform the required routine maintenance. I guess my point was that most cars today have many more convenience features that will fail whether on a gasoline, electric or hydrogen power train, and I've found that many of those can't be fixed outside the dealership due "proprietary" technology. If there's a way to create a monopoly big business will find it.... App Store
Fair point.

Reactions: Wireless1

This is a problem with construction, farm and other machinery also. If you can't get the program that tells you the codes you can't fix it and manufactures are stingy about letting that program out.

This is a problem with construction, farm and other machinery also. If you can't get the program that tells you the codes you can't fix it and manufactures are stingy about letting that program out.

That's why farmers are revolting majorly against John Deere.

I'm thinking 10-20 years and most new cars will be hybrid or full electric. The Standard Maverick being a Hybrid at $20K is actually a big step toward that. Another 10-20 and everything new is electric. Once they figure out either fast charging or battery swapping, it'll move quickly. They are getting close to that already. Even if the time frame is on the high side of that, it just doesn't make sense for the car companies to put R&D money into anything else.

If Ford and GM would bring back the square body S-10s and Rangers with the 6 cylinder for around $25K they would sell like hotcakes. Still regret selling my 87 S-10 single cab.

I'm driving a '96 Square body Dakota that's in impeccable condition for the year and mileage. It's average is around 8K miles per year. Still under 200K. I wonder what someone would pay for a truck like that these days??

It's a Dodge.....

Yes, it is. Thanks for playing. It cranks up and runs everyday as good as my S-10 did. And hasn't rusted out at all, unlike a Dodge. In theory though, I'd concur with the Dodge comment. IMO, it's a better V6 than the Ranger was, but not on par with the 4.3 by any means.

I'm thinking 10-20 years and most new cars will be hybrid or full electric. The Standard Maverick being a Hybrid at $20K is actually a big step toward that. Another 10-20 and everything new is electric. Once they figure out either fast charging or battery swapping, it'll move quickly. They are getting close to that already. Even if the time frame is on the high side of that, it just doesn't make sense for the car companies to put R&D money into anything else.
Or when someone rediscover's Nikola Tesla's method of wireless electricity.

Yes, it is. Thanks for playing. It cranks up and runs everyday as good as my S-10 did. And hasn't rusted out at all, unlike a Dodge. In theory though, I'd concur with the Dodge comment. IMO, it's a better V6 than the Ranger was, but not on par with the 4.3 by any means.
You might get $3-4K from an individual.

You might get $3-4K from an individual.

Not bad considering the dodge reputation. The 2nd gen had more issues, as well as the issues with the first redesign of the Ram after the square body. There are probably more old dodges still running fine than what they start making after they updated the look. My dad had the same square body dakota in the v8 and it ran for a long, long time. The magnum was a good engine. Like most vehicles they suffered from electronic quirks and such. Dodges and Chevy's were notorious for rust. It hard to find a Silverado from the 90's to mid 2000's in an extra cab that has not rusted out the bottom of the doors. I'm lucky my Dakota is 99.9% rust free. Dodge also went to that layered frame instead of a tubular frame on that design. If it was bent in a wreck, almost impossible to straighten and true up. It was like a bunch of foil pans rolled up. F-150's still bad to rust, especially inside the doors. Manager at bowling alley ditched his 2010'ish F150 due to unseen interior body rust to the tune of $5K to fix.

Or when someone rediscover's Nikola Tesla's method of wireless electricity.
Lol
I mean, it works. It just requires line of sight and wastes a lot of power. Maybe we can just park cars on a giant version of this.
WirelessCharger-Main-2000x2000-510x510-1.jpg

Not bad considering the dodge reputation. The 2nd gen had more issues, as well as the issues with the first redesign of the Ram after the square body. There are probably more old dodges still running fine than what they start making after they updated the look. My dad had the same square body dakota in the v8 and it ran for a long, long time. The magnum was a good engine. Like most vehicles they suffered from electronic quirks and such. Dodges and Chevy's were notorious for rust. It hard to find a Silverado from the 90's to mid 2000's in an extra cab that has not rusted out the bottom of the doors. I'm lucky my Dakota is 99.9% rust free. Dodge also went to that layered frame instead of a tubular frame on that design. If it was bent in a wreck, almost impossible to straighten and true up. It was like a bunch of foil pans rolled up. F-150's still bad to rust, especially inside the doors. Manager at bowling alley ditched his 2010'ish F150 due to unseen interior body rust to the tune of $5K to fix.

Dodge/Chrysler was ok up until the early-mid 90's then started to seriously slip. I thought that the merger with Daimler would bring some quality back but they put out nothing but junk, IMO it's gotten even worse since that split.

Dodge/Chrysler was ok up until the early-mid 90's then started to seriously slip. I thought that the merger with Daimler would bring some quality back but they put out nothing but junk, IMO it's gotten even worse since that split.
True. I probably wouldn't consider a Dodge newer than what I have. Quality perception is what broke the Ram brand away, but I suppose they didn't improve quality. Ram's have the best styling of the newer trucks. Just don't know if they're any good.

True. I probably wouldn't consider a Dodge newer than what I have. Quality perception is what broke the Ram brand away, but I suppose they didn't improve quality. Ram's have the best styling of the newer trucks. Just don't know if they're any good.

They are good looking trucks, 10x better looking than what GM is putting out.

They are good looking trucks, 10x better looking than what GM is putting out.

The front end on all new 150/1500 series trucks are outrageous and ugly. They are taller than me. Ram has kept the 1500 looking more normal. GM's are the worst on that nose cap. Looks almost 4 ft from hood to air dam. Horrid. F150 not as bad, but headed that way. Titan took the styling cues off the F150 and puked on it. Tacoma has ruined it's front nose. Tundra is the only other remaining truck that has good look. If i was able to buy a truck, it's Tundra for me anyway. I prefer the '07-'09 range with the 4.7. even in hte new ones you still get a solid drive train. No 9 speed in a truck get up.

The front end on all new 150/1500 series trucks are outrageous and ugly. They are taller than me. Ram has kept the 1500 looking more normal. GM's are the worst on that nose cap. Looks almost 4 ft from hood to air dam. Horrid. F150 not as bad, but headed that way. Titan took the styling cues off the F150 and puked on it. Tacoma has ruined it's front nose. Tundra is the only other remaining truck that has good look. If i was able to buy a truck, it's Tundra for me anyway. I prefer the '07-'09 range with the 4.7. even in hte new ones you still get a solid drive train. No 9 speed in a truck get up.
Everyone has different tastes. I hated the look of the '07 - '13 Tundra. Just big and bulbous. The refresh improved the look. I actually owned a 2015 Tundra CrewMax TRD for a bit but went back to a Nissan Titan. I like the look of the Titan, especially the Pro-4x and Platinum Edition on the 2020-2021 redesign. I actually bought a 2021 Pro-4x a few weeks ago. The Titan is a very underrated truck. Honestly, I wouldn't personally buy a Ram, Ford, or GM. I think they all look fine, but I prefer the reliability/value/style you get from a Titan or Tundra. I just happen to like how the Titan drives and looks compared to the Tundra...and the interior is a lot nicer. That being said, if I won a Ram TRX I wouldn't be too upset. I'd never spend that kind of money on a truck, but they're pretty impressive.

Reactions: GVF
Everyone has different tastes. I hated the look of the '07 - '13 Tundra. Just big and bulbous. The refresh improved the look. I actually owned a 2015 Tundra CrewMax TRD for a bit but went back to a Nissan Titan. I like the look of the Titan, especially the Pro-4x and Platinum Edition on the 2020-2021 redesign. I actually bought a 2021 Pro-4x a few weeks ago. The Titan is a very underrated truck. Honestly, I wouldn't personally buy a Ram, Ford, or GM. I think they all look fine, but I prefer the reliability/value/style you get from a Titan or Tundra. I just happen to like how the Titan drives and looks compared to the Tundra...and the interior is a lot nicer. That being said, if I won a Ram TRX I wouldn't be too upset. I'd never spend that kind of money on a truck, but they're pretty impressive.

The most important things to consider when buying a truck...

Here comes hog, he's gotta show how small his penis is. He's gotta tow his huge balls so anyone who has need for a small truck is likely a pussy or a democrat.

Someone sounds defensive and offended.

And my penis is perfectly average thank you.

And how is the grid going to support this?

VN Store

Back