Saban contract extension

Does Nick Saban stay at Alabama through 2028?

• Yes

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 47.4%

• Total voters
No, I’m saying there are one loss teams that don’t get the opportunity. OSU, meanwhile, gets in while playing half a season.
Look at the schedule they play. There is a reason they don't get it, and it isn't because they are the little guy. The closest thing I've seen to a schedule that would get a G5 team into the playoff is 2016 Houston.

If the G5 wants to compete for a championship, they should a) schedule multiple P5 non-conference games every year or b) form a new division consisting of the G5 teams only.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
We aren’t beating them even after he leaves because they will have a competent replacement and Saban will leave them in great shape and we will no doubt still be a dumpster fire burning bright and high
There were definitely Tennessee fans who felt this way in the late 70's... there wasn't an internet back then, so they didn't get to publicly whine and kiss as much Alabama butt as you are, but there were similar sentiments held. Things can change quickly in the landscape of college football.

I don't think they fall off until they try and replace the guy who replaces Saban.

The guy who replaces Saban is going to be able to coast on momentum for a considerable period of time because Alabama has generated more momentum than any program probably in CFB history. Not only will he inherit a completed loaded and deep roster, but the brand equity Saban has built up will persist for years and years, probably to a greater extent than Bear Bryant's did.

The trap Alabama could fall into is that the guy who replaces Saban is good, not great, and they cut him loose after about 3 years because he doesn't win a title. The momentum starts to slow, they aren't able to replace him with a top-tier candidate, and they start to slip after that.

I think that’s just wishful thinking in my opinion. When Saban retires Inwould be willing to bet Alabama will have their choice of any head football coach in the country. They will likely have a shot at some good NFL HCs.

I find it hard to believe that Bama fans would expect anything close to what Saban has accomplished from his successor. Bama will make yet another great hire after Saban. Will they dominate like they have in the Saban era? No. Will they still be a powerhouse for a long time to come? More than likely.

I think that’s just wishful thinking in my opinion. When Saban retires Inwould be willing to bet Alabama will have their choice of any head football coach in the country. They will likely have a shot at some good NFL HCs.

I find it hard to believe that Bama fans would expect anything close to what Saban has accomplished from his successor. Bama will make yet another great hire after Saban. Will they dominate like they have in the Saban era? No. Will they still be a powerhouse for a long time to come? More than likely.

So they're hiring Gruden?

Look at the schedule they play. There is a reason they don't get it, and it isn't because they are the little guy. The closest thing I've seen to a schedule that would get a G5 team into the playoff is 2016 Houston.

If the G5 wants to compete for a championship, they should a) schedule multiple P5 non-conference games every year or b) form a new division consisting of the G5 teams only.
I know we’re in the age of “inclusiveness”, but we don’t need to get carried away. Like @bamawriter said, they need to schedule like crazy in order to get in.

You think much more highly of the reasonableness of their expectations than I do.

I don't think Bammers would expect every-other-year national titles from the guy who replaces Saban. However, if the new guy goes 3-4 seasons without winning one, and there are a few isolated losses to teams like LSU and Auburn, they will run that guy out of town on a rail.

I'll put it this way - I think it is fairly likely that Saban's replacement comes in and had a record similar to the record Kirby has put up at Georgia from 2017 to the present. Really good seasons, even an SEC title, but no national title and some disappointing losses in key games. There is almost no doubt in my mind Bammers would run him off even though the record is really good.

You think much more highly of the reasonableness of their expectations than I do.

I don't think Bammers would expect every-other-year national titles from the guy who replaces Saban. However, if the new guy goes 3-4 seasons without winning one, and there are a few isolated losses to teams like LSU and Auburn, they will run that guy out of town on a rail.

I'll put it this way - I think it is fairly likely that Saban's replacement comes in and had a record similar to the record Kirby has put up at Georgia from 2017 to the present. Really good seasons, even an SEC title, but no national title and some disappointing losses in key games. There is almost no doubt in my mind Bammers would run him off even though the record is really good.

I really think the perspective is skewed for an entire generation of Bama fans. The freshman class at Bama is made up of kids that all they know from their earliest memories is complete domination and titles every other year. Some probably never remembered or knows what it is like to lose to an SEC East team - think about that. It’s crazy.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I really think the perspective is skewed for an entire generation of Bama fans. The freshman class at Bama is made up of kids that all they know from their earliest memories is complete domination and titles every other year. Some probably never remembered or knows what it is like to lose to an SEC East team - think about that. It’s crazy.
They are, without a doubt, the fanbase most ill-prepared for any kind of a drop off. The younger fans are a total lost cause, but even their older fans at this point are having their expectations skewed. It has been 14 years since they finished outside the top 10 (Saban's first season), and they have been outside the national title conversation at the end of a regular season only twice since 2008.

This sounds nice. But really good P5 teams have stopped agreeing to play really good G5 teams out of fear it will knock them out of contention

I don't believe either of these for a second. They will obviously find a good coach to replace Saban, but I don't think most would want to follow in his footsteps, always being compared to Saban's greatness.
And I will guarantee you that the majority of Alabama will expect the titles and wins to continue and will complain when it doesn't. You are giving the average Turd fan WAYYYYY too much credit.

VN Store

Back