Lady Vols Softball

Just noticed this, after I had posted above. My daughter played with Cheyenne with the Frost Falcons 00 for many years. She is by far the best athlete I've ever seen first hand, and by far the fastest kid I've seen in 10 years of softball. Great kid too.

And I'll add, that neither one was interested in Tennessee because of the coaching staff.

Awesome team, we know many on that team. Steve is one of the good guys in the business and runs a 1st class organization.

Reactions: MadWorld
OMG. They are thinking they might have to extend the dead period another day because the WCWS may not wrap up until Thursday. The only teams hurt by this are technically OK and FSU, which are in the friggin final!! They can miss a day of recruiting. These showcases are not cheap. I’ll be livid if we pay $1300 as a team to have 2 out of 5 games with actual coaches watching.

Reactions: krichunaka
OMG. They are thinking they might have to extend the dead period another day because the WCWS may not wrap up until Thursday. The only teams hurt by this are technically OK and FSU, which are in the friggin final!! They can miss a day of recruiting. These showcases are not cheap. I’ll be livid if we pay $1300 as a team to have 2 out of 5 games with actual coaches watching.
Not only that but schedules came back out today so getting the revised times to the schools of interest.

Just noticed this, after I had posted above. My daughter played with Cheyenne with the Frost Falcons 00 for many years. She is by far the best athlete I've ever seen first hand, and by far the fastest kid I've seen in 10 years of softball. Great kid too.

And I'll add, that neither one was interested in Tennessee because of the coaching staff.

Big shocker there.

Reactions: Majors and MadWorld
From what I was told by a friend of mine who is a UGA fan and lives in Georgia, they will promote their associate HC, Tony Baldwin.

From what I was told by a friend of mine who is a UGA fan and lives in Georgia, they will promote their associate HC, Tony Baldwin.

That would be a good move for them. But as recently as yesterday he was talking to other schools about their open assistant positions, so I don't think he is as confident in that as your friend is. I have clients that are Georgia boosters that recently described the relationship between the AD and the softball staff as adversarial. I'm not sure when Lu decided to retire, but my clients didn't think she was going to be back regardless prior to the WCWS run.

That would be a good move for them. But as recently as yesterday he was talking to other schools about their open assistant positions, so I don't think he is as confident in that as your friend is. I have clients that are Georgia boosters that recently described the relationship between the AD and the softball staff as adversarial. I'm not sure when Lu decided to retire, but my clients didn't think she was going to be back regardless prior to the WCWS run.

I think the deal with him is the same across multiple sports at Georgia--and womens basketball specifically comes to mind. Why can they not keep more of these kids at home/who is the person to make that happen and has he had enough time as an assistant to show he can be that person.

Not only that but schedules came back out today so getting the revised times to the schools of interest.

Schedule was out this morning then got yanked down. The new one is still not out. I'm irritated as I made plans for work and travel based on the schedule I saw this morning. Now it's gone and who knows the new time or even dates. I know the WCWS and dead period stuff is an issue right now, but then why schedule so close to the "subject to change" end of the dead period? I know the people behind Champions and they are decent people but I think they live in a bubble and don't realize the strain this puts on families that travel. This is critical and to not have an answer for teams as of almost 5pm Tuesday is ridiculous. Especially for teams from out of town. Lots of local ATL teams registered that can easily adapt but many out of the area cannot do so at the drop of the hat.

Reactions: Majors
Schedule was out this morning then got yanked down. The new one is still not out. I'm irritated as I made plans for work and travel based on the schedule I saw this morning. Now it's gone and who knows the new time or even dates. I know the WCWS and dead period stuff is an issue right now, but then why schedule so close to the "subject to change" end of the dead period? I know the people behind Champions and they are decent people but I think they live in a bubble and don't realize the strain this puts on families that travel. This is critical and to not have an answer for teams as of almost 5pm Tuesday is ridiculous. Especially for teams from out of town. Lots of local ATL teams registered that can easily adapt but many out of the area cannot do so at the drop of the hat.
Went from bracket tournament to just a showcase as well

Sounds lazy to me. UGA is a plum coaching position, would attract a lot of highly-qualified, big-name candidates.

I mean, it's basically what we did with Pat and Holly (but even more lazy on our part given our history in wbb vs theirs in softball). I was told Lu wants him as her replacement.

I think she was planning on retiring at the end of last season, but obviously that was halted by COVID. I think the team definitely knew at some point before it was announced and it played a role in their run to the WCWS (maybe Arizona, too, but I also think they were simply a better team than Arkansas). Let's hope LSU baseball doesn't have a similar motivation.

Reactions: DeerPark12
Another in-state player that went to another school just put FSU up 2-0.

OU not looking sharp at all. Bad base-running, impatient hitting and pitcher isn't sharp.

Homeplate ump's strike zone is whacky as hell. Apparently you can throw a ball at someone's ankles and it's a strike but if it's knee-high and in the river on either side it's a ball.

OU not looking sharp at all. Bad base-running, impatient hitting and pitcher isn't sharp.

Homeplate ump's strike zone is whacky as hell. Apparently you can throw a ball at someone's ankles and it's a strike but if it's knee-high and in the river on either side it's a ball.

I've said this before and will do it again.

Sometimes kids just want to get away. Some who grow up here want to play here. Some want to go to other areas. Not keeping home grown talent is not a reflection on the coaching staff to recruit TN talent. It truly could be a case of an 18yo just wanting to spread their wings. I have one that did that. It wasn't personal it was just a great opportunity to see other parts of the country.

Reactions: 2523

Well technically a pitch in the river is a ball so he has that call down. Its the ankle pitch he needs to work on.

Reactions: WizardofOz

Sometimes kids just want to get away. Some who grow up here want to play here. Some want to go to other areas. Not keeping home grown talent is not a reflection on the coaching staff to recruit TN talent. It truly could be a case of an 18yo just wanting to spread their wings. I have one that did that. It wasn't personal it was just a great opportunity to see other parts of the country.

You should say it's not *only* a reflection on the coaching staff. Another poster in this thread contradicted your statement with some examples they know of, including the player I’m talking about. I'm sure for some kids it's not a reason they don't come and for others, I know for a fact it is, and the fact that your kid went out of state for certain reasons doesn't mean it's that way for everyone.

Also, I saw your first post on the subject so there was no reason for you to "do it again", unless you just like repeating yourself. And I don't recall saying anything about the coaching staff in the post that you quoted.

Last edited:

I get what you’re saying on some leaving. But I disagree that it truly is a reflection on the staff. They have to win over the in-state kids first, if they go in on a kid and the kid leaves then they did their job. If they don’t or get in after the fact that’s on them. Most TN kids today don’t look at TN as an option because they have shown to look elsewhere first or they are fall backs. Majority of kids play within a 3.5 hour radius of home, TN chooses to go beyond that as their base when the state churns out as good or better players each year. My two cents

Reactions: MadWorld

VN Store

Back