'22 TN OT Jacob Hood

If you have a future starter in the NFL that doesn’t ‘fit your scheme’, it is time to rethink your scheme. If Wanya excels next season at Oklahoma, it’s not because he was a better fit in their scheme, it’s because our scheme sucked.
I wouldn't crown him a future starter just yet.

If you have a future starter in the NFL that doesn’t ‘fit your scheme’, it is time to rethink your scheme. If Wanya excels next season at Oklahoma, it’s not because he was a better fit in their scheme, it’s because our scheme sucked.
Jeremy Pruitt was the worst coach we’ve ever had. He had will freaking friend coaching his OL. That says everything, who knows how much OL talent was wasted off that alone.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I wouldn't crown him a future starter just yet.
The ‘future starter in the NFL’ was in reference to Shy Tuttle not doing enough here to get drafted bc he wasn’t a ‘scheme fit’, but later becoming a starter for the Saints. Really the same could be said for Kamara to some degree. We had that talent sitting on the bench?

The point was if you pass up talent because it doesn’t fit your scheme, you’re headed in the wrong direction as a coach. If this staff passes on the more talented OLinemen to recruit a ‘scheme fitter’, it’s bad news for our OL. Georgia Tech did this with Paul Johnson. They recruited smaller, more agile OL. Worked fine against Wake and Duke, got smashed by quality Dlines and linebackers. At some point the talent gap becomes too big for scheme to overcome.

The ‘future starter in the NFL’ was in reference to Shy Tuttle not doing enough here to get drafted bc he wasn’t a ‘scheme fit’, but later becoming a starter for the Saints. Really the same could be said for Kamara to some degree. We had that talent sitting on the bench?

The point was if you pass up talent because it doesn’t fit your scheme, you’re headed in the wrong direction as a coach. If this staff passes on the more talented OLinemen to recruit a ‘scheme fitter’, it’s bad news for our OL. Georgia Tech did this with Paul Johnson. They recruited smaller, more agile OL. Worked fine against Wake and Duke, got smashed by quality Dlines and linebackers. At some point the talent gap becomes too big for scheme to overcome.
Did the new staff pass on Wanya? Do we know for sure we are passing on Hood or just speculating? I personally would like to take a wait and see stance on the new staffs offensive line direction. If I was a betting man, I would wager that they will not put sub 300 OL on the field. I believe they still want the big boys, but would rather it be more muscle than flab.

We are not recruiting small guys..... we want lineman that can perform in wide splits and can pull for kick outs...... big guys that can move......lineman is where ratings matter the least bc they are hardest to rate.

Cept Ellarbe has a history of developing his guys...and knows the types that constitute. Round hole square peg type of thing...and 6’6 310+ lb square pegs aren’t exactly “scheme fitters”. They tend to dot NFL rosters.

I disagree. There is plenty of talent. Get the talent you can use. An example being Saban had everyone thinking you needed big wide receivers. When defenses adapted he went to smaller, faster WRs and quick strike offenses. You brought up Kamara, and I agree he was definitely wasted for the most part, but it's not like Hurd was not excelling in the offense the way BJ wanted. Now if a future NFL star is begging to play for you, it would be wise to find a way to get the most out of them which seems to be a strength for JH unlike BJ and JP. But don't waste time begging them to play for you. Go after what you need.

We are not recruiting small guys..... we want lineman that can perform in wide splits and can pull for kick outs...... big guys that can move......lineman is where ratings matter the least bc they are hardest to rate.
And generally big guys that can move are rated higher than big guys that can’t move or movers that are small. My argument isn’t for one specific guy over another specific guy; it’s the idea that someone posted earlier that we want scheme fit over talent. That just seems like an excuse for poor recruiting. My guess is that a highly talented OLineman can perform in wide splits and can pull for kickouts. They are usually rated highly because they are great athletes. And that’s not to diss the lower rated guys. They can be great. But there’s a reason bama has 5 star lines that win championships and get drafted; they come in talented and get good coaching. We have good coaching now, we need talented guys that will work hard.

Broski, citing Paul Johnson at Tech is not helping your cause here. Could not be less related.

Reactions: VolByLaw
And generally big guys that can move are rated higher than big guys that can’t move or movers that are small. My argument isn’t for one specific guy over another specific guy; it’s the idea that someone posted earlier that we want scheme fit over talent. That just seems like an excuse for poor recruiting. My guess is that a highly talented OLineman can perform in wide splits and can pull for kickouts. They are usually rated highly because they are great athletes. And that’s not to diss the lower rated guys. They can be great. But there’s a reason bama has 5 star lines that win championships and get drafted; they come in talented and get good coaching. We have good coaching now, we need talented guys that will work hard.
We need to stop comparing us to Alabama until we are ready to compete with Alabama...... Take Darnell Wright for example...... I don’t think he is a perfect for the offense..... The guys you are mentioning are more finished products which tend to gravitate towards the Bamas of college football. There are also plenty of overrated big guys that dominated high school due to their size..... Butch was the world’s worst at taken overrated players due to star ranking. It’s why he had so many misses.

This staff prefers to talk to tall linemen in the 275-280 range that can add good weight and move.... As we grow the program..... rankings will match more with the guys we take..... it’s a process.....just have to hope we have good evaluators.

This guy’s a 3 star.

Hood is a take all day long on my board. Many of the guys you get will fail to be super awesome. I'd rather take a chance on a guy who's a giant. (and in state for a bonus point) Also, it looks like he's willing to work hard which a lot of huge, huge guys sort of aren't.

Reactions: de1conley
Hood is a take all day long on my board. Many of the guys you get will fail to be super awesome. I'd rather take a chance on a guy who's a giant. (and in state for a bonus point) Also, it looks like he's willing to work hard which a lot of huge, huge guys sort of aren't.

But he isn’t on Tennessee’s board.

Next

Uhh OU has pretty much the same scheme as us...

But this is about Hood, not Wanya.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
Jeremy Pruitt was the worst coach we’ve ever had. He had will freaking friend coaching his OL. That says everything, who knows how much OL talent was wasted off that alone.
So did Mark Richt.

Friend has had a career of production. He was the least of Pruitt's problems.

The tall fast lineman is what most football coaches want now. The era of three yards in a cloud of dust behind some big guy that can just go straight (and slowly) is gone. As far as stars go, people get way to caught up in it when evaluating talent and the OL is one place that the talent they faced is a factor. The systems they use to rate a player in TX and Fla, I believe, is different than the one they use to rate a player from South Dakota because of overall talent faced and has nothing to do with how they may develop in the future because the Star system does not rate character or work ethic. This kid may be a great player but coaches have a good idea of what basic skills are needed to start with to work in their system and what they feel they can develop, time will tell what that is exactly.

iu

I have posted this, for what seems like 2 years now. A vast majority of the top rated tackles in the NFL were undersized high school recruits that were athletic and grew into their bodies. You have to look and athleticism first and not size. I have gone down the list of them and looked at their high school size. As volbeast said above as well, OL are the hardest to rate and predict.

Unlike some on here, I trust Conley’s evaluations. I also trust that he’s not tuned in with this coaching staff and doesn’t understand their process any more than the rest of us.

VN Store

Back