A Sad Tale of the Tape

OneManGang

For the last 15 years or so there have been five SEC teams that have really mattered, and no, Tennessee isn't one of them.

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
LSU

Whilst perusing the football Media Guide for material to post in @peaygolf's outstanding trip through Memory Lane in his "Countdown" thread, I came across a section listing UT's cumulative record against everyone they've ever played.

(Warning: you may or may not want to see this)

Cumulative records - adjusted for 2020 results:

Alabama 38-58-7
Auburn 22-29-3
Florida 20-30
Georgia 23-25-2
LSU 20-10-3

Gentle Jesus, Tennessee would have to win EVERY game against 'Bama until 2041 just to pull even!!!

at-a-loss-for-words.gif

For comparison, I consulted my copy of the 1999 Media Guide and learned that Tennessee led the series against Florida, Georgia and LSU at that time. They trailed Auburn by 2 games and Alabama by 10.

Until Tennessee can make those records more favorable, we will be in the cellar.

Coach Heupel has his work cut out.

To be fair, is there any school out there with a substantial number of games against Bama that actually has a winning record against them?

Right now I am most interested in closing the 10-game gap between us and Florida, and taking back the Georgia series.

We don’t need to be behind Georgia. They have spent the majority of their existence being Tennessee jr.

To be fair, is there any school out there with a substantial number of games against Bama that actually has a winning record against them?

Right now I am most interested in closing the 10-game gap between us and Florida, and taking back the Georgia series.

We don’t need to be behind Georgia. They have spent the majority of their existence being Tennessee jr.
We have the most wins against Bama as anybody, though I think Auburn is like 1 game behind us and has a better %.

We had a huge lead on UF at one time. When I was a kid UGA actually led us but we didn't play much. Then we reeled off 9 straight (still the most they have lost to anyone in a row) and took a 7 game lead. Unfortunately, they both clawed their way back into it.

For the last 15 years or so there have been five SEC teams that have really mattered, and no, Tennessee isn't one of them.

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
LSU

Whilst perusing the football Media Guide for material to post in @peaygolf's outstanding trip through Memory Lane in his "Countdown" thread, I came across a section listing UT's cumulative record against everyone they've ever played.

(Warning: you may or may not want to see this)

Cumulative records - adjusted for 2020 results:

Alabama 38-58-7
Auburn 22-29-3
Florida 20-30
Georgia 23-25-2
LSU 20-10-3

Gentle Jesus, Tennessee would have to win EVERY game against 'Bama until 2041 just to pull even!!!

View attachment 372442

For comparison, I consulted my copy of the 1999 Media Guide and learned that Tennessee led the series against Florida, Georgia and LSU at that time. They trailed Auburn by 2 games and Alabama by 10.

Until Tennessee can make those records more favorable, we will be in the cellar.

Coach Heupel has his work cut out.
OMG - I am usually a big fan of all your musings, lessons, and factual pose...but this one hurts.

The other thing that raises my bile is being 'second in wins against Bama'...like Ricky Bobby said "Second place is the first loser"

Anyone else have the same reaction as me when they read the title? (I didn't notice it was in the football thread)

I'm old enough that I grew up watching the Braves on TBS every night as a teenager. I remember when the "IBM Tale of the Tape" was invented. For the noobs out there, it was the first usage of computers to calculate flight trajectory of homerun balls and definitively (estimate) determine how far the ball would have flown if it didn't hit the stands, scoreboard, Green Monster, etc.

I read the title and immediately thought, "Oh no no, do not even tell me there's some media hack (Notre Dame fan) claiming Gilbert's Granny actually only flew 409 or some such ignorance!"

So, I entered the thread expecting to read some lie that was gonna make me really mad. Instead.....I found the truth that made me really, really, really mad.

Gee, thanks, OMG.
Lol

AV

Anyone else have the same reaction as me when they read the title? (I didn't notice it was in the football thread)

I'm old enough that I grew up watching the Braves on TBS every night as a teenager. I remember when the "IBM Tale of the Tape" was invented. For the noobs out there, it was the first usage of computers to calculate flight trajectory of homerun balls and definitively (estimate) determine how far the ball would have flown if it didn't hit the stands, scoreboard, Green Monster, etc.

I read the title and immediately thought, "Oh no no, do not even tell me there's some media hack (Notre Dame fan) claiming Gilbert's Granny actually only flew 409 or some such ignorance!"

So, I entered the thread expecting to read some lie that was gonna make me really mad. Instead.....I found the truth that made me really, really, really mad.

Gee, thanks, OMG.
Lol

AV

Hmmm.... I suppose technically, if the ball actually hit the Green Monster, it wouldn't have been a homerun ball, but you get the point.

Reactions: OneManGang
OMG - I am usually a big fan of all your musings, lessons, and factual pose...but this one hurts.

The other thing that raises my bile is being 'second in wins against Bama'...like Ricky Bobby said "Second place is the first loser"

Ricky Bobby would not be my source for life perspective quotes...

Jes sayin

VN Store

Back